You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Considering Linux Lite as a lightweight distro

Author (Read 5566 times)

Re: Considering Linux Lite as a lightweight distro
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 08:18:35 AM »

Rosika

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
 Hi to you all,  :wave

thanks a lot for your replies.  :043:

@Jerry:

I see. Thanks for the explanation.
I have some html files I regularly deal with. But they contain  copies of either web-sites or of e-mails.
So nothing exectable there. I guess I´ll be alright with the situation then.   ;)

@stevef:

Thanks to you as well.
Ah, I think I get it.
so while 5 year support is attractive it assumes adopting early and staying with the series late
Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying the matter.

So both of you helped me quite a lot. Thank you so much.

Have a nice day and many greetings.
Rosika  :)

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 02:37:29 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
If I undesrtand it correctly Lite receives updates for 5 years, which (taking one year of overlap into account) means I´d have to do a fresh install only every 4 years.  ;)

My first question would be: am I right in making this assumption?

There's no dates yet, but if previous patterns are followed, we can expect release 7.0 to become available in June 2024 and maybe version 8.0 in June 2026.

The fundamental release cycle is 2 years - so while 5 year support is attractive it assumes adopting early and staying with the series late which you can't do every time.  To get the same long support next time with a 4 year fresh install policy you'd have to skip series 7 and be an early adopter of series 8.

clueless

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 08:53:51 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x

Working with local files on Linux Lite can be a bit messy. For instance, HTML files may get executed as if they were
shell scripts rather than opening on the Firefox browser.

I guess that´s the only "negative" statement I found on the respective site.

Can anybody tell me what that might be all about? I´m not sure I completely understand what the author wanted to say.

For example if you're a web developer and you work with HTML files, some may try to execute instead of open with a browser. That's not a mainstream issue. Every one of our users, are not web developers :)

Considering Linux Lite as a lightweight distro
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 09:23:26 AM »

Rosika

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi all,  :wave

I am new to Linux Lite. To be exact: I´m not yet a user but am thinking about possibly switching over.
Up and until now I´ve been using Lubuntu as I´m in need of a (very) lightweight distro. My main PC is a Lenovo H520e with 4 GB of RAM and an "Intel i3-3240T (4) @ 2.900GHz" processor.

I´ve been looking around on the net for infos for quite a while and have encountered very positive feedback regarding Lite up till now.

The reason I´m looking for an alternative to Lubuntu is the fact that Lubuntu has to be upgraded (alternative: fresh/clean install) every 2 years as it´s supported for 3 years (one year overlap).

If I undesrtand it correctly Lite receives updates for 5 years, which (taking one year of overlap into account) means I´d have to do a fresh install only every 4 years.  ;)

My first question would be: am I right in making this assumption?

My 2nd question:

Taking a look at a review of Lite on  https://linuxnetmag.com/linux-lite-vs-lubuntu/ I found the following sentence:

Possible Drawbacks

Working with local files on Linux Lite can be a bit messy. For instance, HTML files may get executed as if they were
shell scripts rather than opening on the Firefox browser.

I guess that´s the only "negative" statement I found on the respective site.

Can anybody tell me what that might be all about? I´m not sure I completely understand what the author wanted to say.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.  :)

Many greetings from Rosika

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section