You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Lite Tools Category In Menu

Author (Read 4593 times)

Re: Lite Tools Category In Menu
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 03:49:46 PM »

smhardesty

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A8-6410 APU

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon R5 Graphics × 4
Ouch! My bad. I have a bad habit of reading the first post to see what the thread is about, but then I read over the following posts too quickly, like slightly slower than glancing. Yep, now that I've gone back and read things a little more closely I see that I was way behind in this conversation.  ::)

Well, at least it's good to know you got your problem resolved.  8)
Steve

If I was able to help, click my "Thank" link.

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 03:05:41 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
I'm not 100% sure I understand exactly what you mean by this, but I am able to create a new "category" on my menu in ver 3.8, then place new items in it. Just go to "Main Menu", click to highlight the existing Menu location for the new "category", then click "New Menu". You'll get a dialog box where you name the New Menu. Here is a screenshot of after I created a New Menu under "Settings" and a New Menu on the Main Menu. Bot of the New Menus are named "Test". I'm just really creative that way.

If I'm way off base as to what it is you are trying to do, just tell me to hush. I won't be offended. If this is what you ARE after, but need further explanation, just holler.

Thanks @smhardesty  @firenice03 already explained that part in a previous post. I did see that and I did try that but since it says "add new directory" while I was looking for "add new category" made me a little bit confused, thought it was meant for adding directories like Documents, Downloads and the likes.  :P
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 01:53:40 PM »

smhardesty

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A8-6410 APU

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon R5 Graphics × 4
I tried doing it myself but there's no option to create a new category with menulibre, or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it.  :P

I'm not 100% sure I understand exactly what you mean by this, but I am able to create a new "category" on my menu in ver 3.8, then place new items in it. Just go to "Main Menu", click to highlight the existing Menu location for the new "category", then click "New Menu". You'll get a dialog box where you name the New Menu. Here is a screenshot of after I created a New Menu under "Settings" and a New Menu on the Main Menu. Bot of the New Menus are named "Test". I'm just really creative that way.

If I'm way off base as to what it is you are trying to do, just tell me to hush. I won't be offended. If this is what you ARE after, but need further explanation, just holler.

Steve

If I was able to help, click my "Thank" link.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 03:36:54 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

What you maybe looking for... ??? If I'm reading right...

Look for (from Menu) Menu Editor you can add items to the menu.. Then its a matter of adding the Lite Tool of choice...
*Note I did from within Live so I only did a couple.. The panel to the right shows where to find the launcher.. Add Name/Description and Icon..
Perhaps something for future LL versions???

Ha! I did try that but since it says "add new directory" I thought it was for adding a directory like documents, downloads or something like that. I was looking for "add new category"   :P   but there's not such an option. Thanks @firenice03   
You would literally have to run this as an experiment for the first 2 years of an LTS cycle. I like the concept, but the implementation is fraught with unknown affects.
Hmmm I'll try this and let you know @Jerry and everyone else how it goes. 

Cheers! :)

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 03:19:08 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

I see what you mean. Hmmmm, not sure about this one as there is no knowing long term what affect it will have on Menu stability. You would literally have to run this as an experiment for the first 2 years of an LTS cycle. I like the concept, but the implementation is fraught with unknown affects. The My Computer addition was a deliberate risk take, given that the concept came straight from Windows and was worth the gamble.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 03:20:51 PM by Jerry »

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 03:18:25 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

What you maybe looking for... ??? If I'm reading right...

Look for (from Menu) Menu Editor you can add items to the menu.. Then its a matter of adding the Lite Tool of choice...
*Note I did from within Live so I only did a couple.. The panel to the right shows where to find the launcher.. Add Name/Description and Icon..
Perhaps something for future LL versions???

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 03:15:40 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Lite Tools? There is no such software. You may also want to add screenshots showing what you want done. thanks.

@Jerry  By "Lite Tools" I meant all specific apps you and LL team have gather together into it; lite update notify, lite upgrade, lite software, lite tweaks, lite sources, lite sounds, lite user manager and so on. I think it would be nice to have them all of them into a category called "Lite Tools" or whatever you choose in the menu instead of being on settings. I tried to create the category using menulibre but it seems there's no option or I couldn't figure it out. 

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 02:48:49 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Lite Tools? There is no such software. You may also want to add screenshots showing what you want done. thanks.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:27:18 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
That would be a good idea indeed.

I havent played with the menu a lot but I know there is some limitations. I think I mentionned this (or maybe not since I have lots in my brain sometimes ;) ) but maybe having a pop up windows of some kind from the Welcome Screen and Start Menu to access all Lite Tools and have the description showing. Or just "like" the welcome screen interface but only for the Lite Tools if the menu thing is not possible.

Having everything "Lite" accessible with a One-Click icon from the desktop would also be uber-friendly ;)

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

Lite Tools Category In Menu
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 11:46:11 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :) I noticed that each and every Lite tool is under settings category and while I understand the logic behind this, I wonder if having them under their own category in the menu wouldn't be a better approach; easier to find and adds up to LL personality :) I tried doing it myself but there's no option to create a new category with menulibre, or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it.  :P

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section