You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Lite 2.2 Beta Feedback

Author (Read 7555 times)

Re: Lite 2.2 Beta Feedback
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »

jpmacedosilva

Hello.

I'm running LL 2.2 Beta and so far so good.
The only issue I've found so far is that I'm not able to use the Install Additional Software tool.
Every time I open the tool I get the "You must update package lists before using this tool. Do you want to update?" message... Then I click Yes, and after a few seconds the tool is launched, but then I'm not able to install any software because all the programs are shown as installed, when I've not install any of them so far.
I think this is a bug.

Best regards

I cannot re-produce this error. I'm assuming you have installed 2.2 beta 1 to a hard drive?

I have LL 2.2 beta installed on a virtual machine. This a second installation, and in both I had the same issue.

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 10:07:30 AM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

• Kernel: 5.x
Hello.

The only issue I've found so far is that I'm not able to use the Install Additional Software tool.
Every time I open the tool I get the "You must update package lists before using this tool. Do you want to update?" message... Then I click Yes, and after a few seconds the tool is launched, but then I'm not able to install any software because all the programs are shown as installed, when I've not install any of them so far.
I think this is a bug.

Best regards

I have the same with LL2. Get the same message and cant install anything because everything is already installed even things i havent installed
Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 09:53:22 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Hello.

I think this is a bug.

Best regards

I cannot re-produce this error. I'm assuming you have installed 2.2 beta 1 to a hard drive?

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 08:05:00 AM »

jpmacedosilva

Hello.

I think this is a bug.

Best regards

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 09:37:18 AM »

sysdrum

• Saying the wrong things at the right time.
  • Occasional Poster
  • That's personal.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-6400

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia 1050 Ti
gold_finger,

I have spent a week or so building and rebuilding so that I can create work out what is broken:

I found the error is do to the build script created when building a special location for the install. This is an Xubuntu issue not Linux Lite (but it does impact it) it has to do with partition software failing to mark the correct flags on a /home that is already in place. In my case: I want to run Linux Lite, I run the installer and select the SSD/HDD to install “/” then I select the LVM and/or Single HDD that has my home on it. The (X)ubuntu (I also found that (Mate)ubuntu does the same) install fails to mark the flags and I have a system with no home. I then have to add the home afterwards.

Or it fails to boot and I have to fix grub as it does not install it to the right location even when selected.

But with all that said if it works then there is also the settings that controls the way LL (XFCE settings) looks when setup if you are migrating system and you clear all but the core data out of home (all “.” files) it still breaks none of the script get put in the inline “/” it does not create items needed in the /home like (.local) which needed to use the system correctly. So when I first started using LL when it was still 1.0.8, I made a post that I broke something and talked with Jerry (Valtam) and was told just run Linux Lite on a single drive and it works. (As I was running side by side with windows) (I was going to quote the post but I think it is on the old forums) Jerry was right when it came to installing it. 

So as I said before I have found that if you use a split /home (on another drive/part) it will break LL/Xubuntu/Mate reason I avoid when testing to put LL on anything that does not have a inline "/" which means no spares or side by sides. Either a solo install or a virtualbox.

As most installs for new users will happen in a single drive with only LL as the OS there is no need to to build a side script rebuild symbolic links to work with a non inline setups.

But if you want to run a split system/or do a migration do a inline and then move the /home afterwards to the new location and then update the fstab to the new /home location.

That is just what I have found with both 2.0 and 2.2 and anything that uses (X)ubuntu installer.

The glib error is the same on both but has nothing to do with the problem. I would fix it if I knew the best way without breaking everything related to the installers GUI as it is related to the render.
Anyway I have already submitted up the chain in Xubuntu the issue with the installer.

You are also right I am not a “beginner” I greatly dislike the term Newbie as it detracts from the learning process. I have been around Unix/BSD and Gnu/Linux for sometime by no means do I know everything I know what is needed to get my chroots, my jails and lvm’s to work.

Sysdrum (David)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:43:15 AM by sysdrum »

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 10:43:15 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
I get this "warning" in the Icons selector, running the suggested command does not fix it.!!

Hi Wirezfree,

Just run that command again with "sudo" and it should work.

Code: [Select]
sudo gtk-update-icon-cache ...(substitute correct rest of command in place of "...")

If doesn't work, go to /usr/share/icons/Win7-icons and delete the cache file that is there now.  (Need to be root when doing that.)  Then run command again.

Will check out your Whisker menu stuff a bit later.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:45:57 AM by gold_finger »
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 10:31:27 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)

I have had some anomalies with Whisker menu items moving & showing/not showing and installing Themes/Icons.?
Could this be related to your comments, I'm not an expert, I'm learning.

I kind of doubt that problems are due to separate partitions, but as stated above I'm planning to run a few install tests to see if I can duplicate problems described above.  Can you please specify what Whisker menu problems you've run into and what extra themes you may have installed?  I'll see if I can duplicate your problems on the test runs also.
Hi gold_finger,

Some previous posts/screenshot:

Menu Labels edited it menu editor, but they do not show correctly in the menu.!!
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=1042.msg6197#msg6197

Icons Theme error:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=1023.msg6200#msg6200

I get this "warning" in the Icons selector, running the suggested command does not fix it.!!

Dave

Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 09:04:18 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Thanks Jerry,
I re-installed with 1 minor change. On the first install I did not follow the advice on the welcome screen and run Updates. I couldn't you couldn't run updates on a system running in memory and I didn't think it would affect the install. On the second install I did run updates then ran install. Now the install looked exactly the same as the Live ISO.

Don't know what happened on first installation, but something unusual went wrong with it.  Running updates in the live environment is not something you need to do to have a proper installation.  As a matter of fact, I'm surprised that doing so didn't freeze up your live system.  I'm guessing that you have a decent amount of RAM on the system for it to have even been able to handle updating the live environment.

I found the error is do to the build script when building a special location for the install.
So I have found that if you use a split /home(on another drive/part) it will break LL for some reason I avoid when testing to put LL on anything that does not have a inline "/" which means no spares or side by sides.

I'm really curious about this.  Can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by "it will break LL" when doing anything other than standard install?  Did you have boot problems?  Or were there other types of problems and what were they?  Did problems only occur when trying to set-up a dual-boot system?  Also, what "glib" error were you referring to?

I have done several installs of LL2.0 on my own systems and those of a few other people.  On my own, I don't use a separate /home, but always use a separate data partition.  Sometimes I set up that partition after install and sometimes during install.  I think (but am not 100% sure) that I have setup separate /home for others.  Also, I'd hazard a guess that I have probably guided a few people through installations with separate /home here on the forum.  From my experiences, there has never been any problem setting up and using a non-standard partition arrangement.

When I get around to installing beta LL2.2, I'm going to set-up separate /home and maybe one or two other partitions during install just to see if I can duplicate any problems like you are describing.  I'd imagine that some (probably small) percentage of people who have installed LL2.0 before did do so with a separate /home partition; yet yours is the first post I've seen stating that doing so causes a failure.  I get the impression that you are not a "newbie", which makes me want to look deeper into this to see if there is a situation that I may not have known about or run into myself.  If you can recall (close to) exact details of an example installation that failed, I'd like to attempt install in same manner to see what happens.

I have had some anomalies with Whisker menu items moving & showing/not showing and installing Themes/Icons.?

I kind of doubt that problems are due to separate partitions, but as stated above I'm planning to run a few install tests to see if I can duplicate problems described above.  Can you please specify what Whisker menu problems you've run into and what extra themes you may have installed?  I'll see if I can duplicate your problems on the test runs also.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

Re: Lie V2.2 Beta Feedback
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 07:22:39 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
I found the error is do to the build script when building a special location for the install.
So I have found that if you use a split /home(on another drive/part) it will break LL for some reason I avoid when testing to put LL on anything that does not have a inline "/" which means no spares or side by sides.
Hi Sysdrum,

On my first couple of installs, on a Laptop I just allowed it to do it's own thing(It was all new to me then) and use whole disk.
Subsequently I then got a little more adventurous and put things in different partitions
/
/swap
/home
/data
Since then I have now installed it on 2 PC's which have 2 drives
SDA=
/
/swap
SDB =
/home
/data
/vms
/backup

I split the drives/partitions because I understood it had some benefits & simplified backups & restores.

Dave
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 06:43:38 AM »

mdavies5

Thanks Jerry,
I re-installed with 1 minor change. On the first install I did not follow the advice on the welcome screen and run Updates. I couldn't you couldn't run updates on a system running in memory and I didn't think it would affect the install. On the second install I did run updates then ran install. Now the install looked exactly the same as the Live ISO. Also during the second install I checked "Download updates while installing". After completion I ran updates again and it downloaded the same 16 updates it did during the Live ISO demo. My only suggestion now is the calculator hotkey I mentioned earlier. I look forward to the final release.
Once again, congratulations and I hope my little faux pas did not cause you too much work.
Mike

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 01:33:04 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Quote from: mdavies5
Jerry, I downloaded linux-lite-2.2-beta1-64bit.iso from Sourceforge. No MD5 sum is published.

The md5sum is both on the Sourceforge (click the 'I' next to the 64bit iso) page and in the release announcement.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=1143.0

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 12:58:43 AM »

sysdrum

• Saying the wrong things at the right time.
  • Occasional Poster
  • That's personal.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-6400

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia 1050 Ti
So I have found that if you use a split /home(on another drive/part) it will break LL for some reason I avoid when testing to put LL on anything that does not have a inline "/" which means no spares or side by sides. Either a solo install or a virtualbox. as most installs for new users will happen in a single drive with only LL as the os there is no need to to build a side script rebuild syblic links to work with a non inline setup. if you want that do a inline and then move the /home afterwards to your new location and then update the fstab to the new  /home location.
Even if you run LL inline there will some times be an issue with the system and then the install fails and breaks the installer if you are not running it as the the only install.
That is just what I have found with both 2.0 and 2.2
But I don't think the issue is LL fault I have found that it is in the Xubuntu installer that LL uses to push the system to disk.
The glib error is the same on both. I would fix it if I knew the best way without breaking everything.
Anyway I have already submitted up the chain in Xubuntu the issue with the installer.

Re: Lite V2.2 Beta Feedback
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 11:47:54 PM »

mdavies5

Jerry, I downloaded linux-lite-2.2-beta1-64bit.iso from Sourceforge. No MD5 sum is published. Also I do not use VirtualBox, I prefer to install on a spare partition. I have gone back to the Live ISO to see why it looks so polished compared to the full install. I have mentioned elsewhere about the indicator plug-in which is activated by default in the Live ISO, but the biggest change is in the fonts. The Live ISO defaults to Droid Sans 10 but this font is not installed in the full version which defaults so "sans".
I installed the Droid family of fonts via Synaptic and set Droid Sans 10 as the default. It is like I am now looking at a different system and it is fantastic. As you know this default feeds through to so many other areas and apps. I am a developer but not an install expert. Could it be anything to do with the error message and lockup just before the install ended. I reported this today and I have seen other posts with the same problem.
I can re-install on a spare partition to see if there are any changes.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

3. Make default installation similar to Live ISO. My live ISO had panel at the bottom, welcome screen, wallpaper and attractive fonts. The full install had the panel at the top, no welcome screen, no wallpaper and spidery fonts. Booting the live ISO was impressive but I felt very disappointed when booting into the full install for the first time.

The default installation is exactly the same as the Live iso. You must have a corrupt image, or there is some other issue. Try an install in Virtualbox and see if you get the same result. First check the md5sum of the LL iso.

Lite 2.2 Beta Feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 07:43:13 PM »

mdavies5

1. Set Calculator Hotkey to Galculator. I know it can be setup but setting it as default would be nice.
2. Make login screen lighter to fit in with default theme. Currently the black screen is not very welcoming.
3. Make default installation similar to Live ISO. My live ISO had panel at the bottom, welcome screen, wallpaper and attractive fonts. The full install had the panel at the top, no welcome screen, no wallpaper and spidery fonts. Booting the live ISO was impressive but I felt very disappointed when booting into the full install for the first time.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:28:52 AM by Jerry »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section