General > Suggestions and Feedback

LinuxLite 6.0 snap-free?

(1/2) > >>

Jerry:
Hi Tim, there will be some changes that are both inside and outside of our control. eg. with Firefox, yes, from Lite Software it will install Snap, and there is a warning for that. In each of the 6x release announcements, there are instructions for installing the Firefox PPA so that you get Firefox the same way as you have in the past.

Video drivers can be troublesome, it's linux and the support and path to take can be a minefield. What works in one series eg 5x can change in the next.

But for every problem, there is a correct path to a resolution. If you ever find something not working the way it used to or as you would expect, please ask us for help in regard to that issue. Cheers

timbuck2:

--- Quote from: Jerry on April 13, 2023, 08:44:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: plasticman on April 13, 2023, 08:38:22 PM ---Thank you for removing snaps. I just installed on my old Lenovo 131 very pleased with it. will install on my other Lenovo's next. :bow

--- End quote ---

We made the right call from the start :)

--- End quote ---

I just uninstalled LL6.4 and reinstalled 5.8.  Here is my story.

After a fresh install of 6.4 I had several problems, firefox would not download files, the nvidia driver update caused black screen and my other computer was blocked from sftp into the LL machine.  A very disappointing affair.

But as for this thread...

After firefox wouldn't download anything and trying various solutions from the web, I discovered that this was using the snap whatever that is.

So I entered a 'sudo snap --purge firefox" and was going to install firefox the old way.  Bad mistake.

After firefox was purged, my brave browser couldn't connect due to dns resolution stopping working.  Why that would be related to snap and firefox I have no idea. So after all the other issues with 6.4 I now had no browser available!

I was done with the headaches, so back to 5.8 and am staying there at least for the next couple of years.  It has always been very user-friendly.

LL6?  Not so much in my experience. Not exactly the "linux for windows users" that series 5 was.  Pity.

Jerry:

--- Quote from: plasticman on April 13, 2023, 08:38:22 PM ---Thank you for removing snaps. I just installed on my old Lenovo 131 very pleased with it. will install on my other Lenovo's next. :bow

--- End quote ---

We made the right call from the start :)

plasticman:
Thank you for removing snaps. I just installed on my old Lenovo 131 very pleased with it. will install on my other Lenovo's next. :bow

Jerry:
You're welcome

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version