You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite updater

Author (Read 82347 times)

Re: Linux Lite updater
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 11:48:19 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel celeron 900 @ 2.20 GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 5.x
@The Repairman,
Thank you for your polite response, there is a lesson here.

Best regards,
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 11:44:04 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

@firenice03,
Congratulations, thank you for your response.

best regards,
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 10:37:13 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@vint yes LL is based on Ubuntu, base... the underlying OS itself not everything else on top of Ubuntu those that work well or not. The choices that go into LL result in a stable, minimal bloat OS for all. If by bloat we refer to items not needed by the individual vs additional packages, telemetry and files that are truly unnecessary.
As you have LL installed you do have the freedom to customize and configure, install or uninstall as you like. Freedom always comes with a price, for an OS that could be stability or having to reinstall the OS. Knowledge is the difference, if you're Linux proficient you'll have better outcomes that a Linux newcomer.

If I may, a different approach to asking your question..
I see there is an installer in Ubuntu that allows the user to select individual updates, is this something on LL's roadmap? I think this could be something a majority of LL may find useful when repurposing older hardware.

Some of these applications could be a fork of another project. Digging into that aspect you may find its possible to install in LL, or perhaps asking the package developer how to  include in Ubuntu derivatives.

I hope this has been informative as is my intent.
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 01:41:44 PM »

The Repairman

• Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2333 MHz

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics

@vint

There's a safe way to remove most software from your distro which you don't want and don't need.

Open the Menu and go to System and then open Package Manager aka Synaptic Package Manager.

Open the search box and enter whatever you wish to remove and then see what other software and dependencies will be removed with it.

The beauty of the Package manager is it alerts you to what other software relies on other shred software and its shared dependencies which can break things if removed.

One must exercise caution and care and common sense when removing default software packages as if done haphazardly can and most likely will break a working Linux distro and I speak from my own personal experience.

There are other ways to remove the unwanted software however the Package Manager aka Synaptic Package Manager I've found to be the safest way.

I'm a Linux user not a Linux guru.

I can understand not wanting to keep software that will never be used and taking up space on a hard drive because I use 40 GB and 80 GB hard drives.

My 2 cents worth.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 12:52:46 PM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

Howdy @bonnevie,
I will certainly take a look at the link provided, I've already made my thoughts on the subject very clear as it is about the freedom to choose.  Linux Lite saved my laptop from the depths of Microsoft Hell and for that I'm forever grateful, and Linux is the future of home computing as far as I'm concerned.

Best regards,
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 09:19:35 PM »

bonnevie

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i3 Dual Core

• MEMORY: 12Gb

Hello Vint,
Is that what you're thinking about?  Yad is available in Synaptics. I suggest you read about it in Ubuntu forums.  Should it be included in "stock" LinuxLite?  As Jerry said, a new LinuxLite user coming from Windows would be tempted to untick whatever seems like bloat without understanding the consequences on dependencies. Once you know what you're doing, it's easy to just add it to your toolbox.
https://imgur.com/YOqD56r.png
LL6.6 in VM
LL5.8 Host

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 12:13:52 PM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

Howdy Jerry,
Thanks for the response but that doesn't answer the question totally, I am not meaning to offend you and your hard work on Linux Lite.  Linux Lite is based on Ubuntu is it not?  I noticed that Ubuntu OS users updater allows them to have a choice when updating software on their machines, I assume that you the creator of Linux Lite programmed the updater to not give us the choice.  Am I mistaken?  I thought that having choices and options was what open source and Linux was all about and what separates it from evil Windows and Microsoft.
I don't need printer driver updates for printers I don't have and I should have the choice to not update them or remove them entirely, what would be awesome is for the "kernel" to have printer drivers for all printers.  I am a novice with Linux and I'm sure that I missed something along the way and you are the expert so enlighten me.

Best regards,
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 06:02:39 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

If you're concerned about software that's on your computer that you will never use, then I'm afraid that it doesn't end there. For example, the Kernel contains lots of features and drivers that you will never use. The simple answer is, when one builds an operating system, one builds it to work on as many computers as possible, it is not tailor made for one device. This is how freedom spreads, by having wide ranging compatibility. FYI, we are not a fork of Ubuntu, we start off we with a 35mb image, and painstakingly build it one package at a time. Cheers

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

Linux Lite updater
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 11:25:26 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

Howdy y'all,

Recently over the past 3 days when I check for updates for software and security I'm getting updates for printer drivers that I don't need.  So I checked how the updater works on Ubuntu and what I found out is that on Ubuntu the user is able to check what updates they want in a check box and leave the updates they don't want.  Why since Linux Lite is a fork of Ubuntu do we not have that same choice?  There isn't any reason for me to have printer drivers I don't use on my machine taking up space, or other software I don't use getting updates because I don't have the option to not update them.  Why is this not included?

Best regards,
Vint,
God Bless Texas

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section