You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 5.0 .vs MX Linux

Author (Read 20675 times)

Re: Linux Lite 5.0 .vs MX Linux
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2022, 11:35:18 AM »

catgrep

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD FX-8350 X2 (VirtualBox

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: VMSVGA (VirtualBox)
Teams is a newcomer and is available on Linux :https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/microsoft-teams-is-now-available-on-linux/ba-p/1056267
I just confirmed today with Microsoft support that Teams for Linux desktop is only available for work and school accounts managed by an organization.  If you want to use Teams for Linux with a personal/free account, you have to use your browser.

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2020, 07:10:08 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Yeah, after that one I bought some hardware and built my own PCs.
Strangely enough, my current "complete" PC was given to me, lol!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2020, 10:15:56 AM »

Lite Wise

• New to Forums
  • Ex Lite Member
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 5.x
Funny history you have, I hope you changed into just buying the damn thing ;)

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 06:57:15 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

Yeah... I was young and naive at the time. First real job... had money to spare.
Had a Commodore Amiga, BeOS seemed the right way to go when Commodore hit the dirt.
What a fringe computer geek I was. Enough that I vowed that I'd never buy a PC, and I didn't.

Been awhile I told this, my cool story about my first PC :
I filled about 2/3 of a prize draw bucket at the college store and WON my first PC. For every purchase they gave a ticket, I shopped around and they charged 1 cent to staple sheets together. Made a photocopy for 10 cents (single sheet) and had them stapled the edge in rows... HA, they though to discourage saying it had to be "per purchase" / "per visit". I had almost no courses that week so I went to staple my sheet, went around outside and came back... I think around 240 times. ;) Last purchase before the draw... I plastified my Single 240-timed-Stapled-Sheet. Total : 0.10+2.40+1.00=3.50 for 242 tickets, not bad, not considering the time spent and monopolyzing the nice person at the cash register for a week  :o .
The double twist... When they had the draw, the store "boss" tried to fool people saying another name when he read the winning ticket... then he gave the ticket to another person to "discard" I'm guessing. She then looked at it and said... "Ahaha, your funny!" to her boss, thinking he was joking and said that "I" won!... I'll never forget the boss's "smile" right then. He had the same one in the picture they took for the occasion.
I was the star when I got back to the computer club, rolling in the brand new PC I just won!, the fastest available at the time.
If they make a movie about me, this part should be in slow-mo with a Rage Against The Machine song playing. REBEL!!! 8)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:04:41 PM by TheDead »
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 09:26:21 AM »

Lite Wise

• New to Forums
  • Ex Lite Member
    • View Profile

I had hopes for BeOS... even bought a few actions when they were going strong and had a bright future.
Now I hear children cry and see gloomy gray skies when I come accross the name.
So sad... :(
That's why I mentioned it, commercial interference is not always the way to go, especially not in the open Source world.

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 09:16:39 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

I had hopes for BeOS... even bought a few actions when they were going strong and had a bright future.
Now I hear children cry and see gloomy gray skies when I come accross the name.
So sad... :(
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 05:43:00 AM »

Lite Wise

• New to Forums
  • Ex Lite Member
    • View Profile

No support for commercial software. Not really the fault of Linux Lite or any other distro, but it is the reason why most people are not running Linux. This is not a deal breaker for me because I use all open source software(Kodi, Retropie, Qbittorrent, etc.), but anyone that needed to run Quickbooks, MS Office, Photoshop, etc. would be sunk. The open source alternatives to these programs either don't exist or they suck.
If you are running an open source OS why do you expect commercial companies would jump in and what would be the big plus?
Looking at your desires you wan to have Windows applications but expect them to be ported to Linux?
I'm around since Red Hat 5.1, yeah that's a long time ago and I ran lots of GNU / Linux distro's out there. Even switched for a while to BeOS which was magical but died due to lack of succes.
A German commercial company picked it up and sold it as Zeta, again died due to lack of succes. Now it is picked up by the open source community and develop, slowly but it continues. People should look to their own needs, if you want the commercial way install Windows or buy a Mac but stop comparing Linux with these.
Linux is big and runs on most servers world wide and has a lot of followers world wide for the Desktop distro's. Yes there are a lot but a lot of people have different needs or do you want everybody to drive in the same car too? Don't think so either. About your software issues I don't have them. I'm very satisfied with Libre Office and Gimp which fully do where I need them for.
I like Linux Lite on my older box but run Mint Mate on my primary box and have Zorin installed at my wife's PC since that's what runs good on it. We have many options in Linux land and all are for free, use what you like and search which distro is fitting your needs. If you need commerical software pay for it and change from OS but stop asking for things that will not happen since they are useless.

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 10:54:18 AM »

mike_tr

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Pentium D 2.8 Dual Core

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVidia 210

Just wanted to say how good Linux Lite is. It's the best distro I have used, and I have been a Windows user for a very long time (since Win 3.1). It's so stable and reliable, and so good at giving a Windows user everything they need. Immediately on installing an OS I would be thinking "How do I update the OS?, How do you look for drivers? How do I change the look of the desktop and wallpaper? How do I backup the OS? I want to install Google Chrome to access Google Doc's? or another well known program. The list of easy install programs and help information is great and so well explained. I mainly use computers for everyday tasks and my music compositions, so I am not so good at "under the hood" stuff. Just like a automobile driver doesn't have to know everything about his engine.

Linux Lite has always been stable and easy for everyday people like me to use and understand. Linux Lite is the last of three distro's I have tried, and for me it's the easiest and the best, with great lead-you-by-the-hand help which I really appreciate. I would like to say a big "Thank You" to all the people that work on Linux Lite. Even my wife is very impressed, and that takes a lot ;)

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 12:58:54 AM »

tuxexplore

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I tried Linux Lite 5.0. It's awesome. It is much nearer to Windows than any other distro out there. Best suited for Windows users who want to try and switch to Linux. Even the names of apps are so easy for a newbie. I even recommended Linux Lite to one of my friends who is a Windows user and has never tried a linux distro so far.

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 02:18:10 PM »

TuhinSingha

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 600
I'm also newbie in LL world . Previously I use MX linux for daily use.
but sometimes touchpad stop working in MX . So I think to move with Linux mint but
it's also give me same issue like MX . I search and find Linux Lite and works great with
my 11 inch Asus low end laptop. well simple design, best performance and have great tools like MX .
But one problem I face with linux lite is that screen tearing , I solve this problem . because I face
this problem with MX and MX gives bulitin scripts in MX tweaks . I use it LL and solve.
best software selection in linux lite . love linux lite software and tweaks tools.     
And great UEFI support .
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:20:08 PM by TuhinSingha »

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 09:19:44 AM »

The Repairman

• Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2333 MHz

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:30:03 PM by The Repairman »

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 08:33:54 AM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi,

I have used Lite up to 4.8, I haven't tried 5.0 yet, but have it on a USB for a friend.  I am trying MX now, I like it, but I'm not campaigning for either.

The Linux Lite manual is way ahead, and I even referenced it on MX forum when suggesting setting the Shred command  ;D!

As regards commercial software, I have used these on both LL and MX - Cryptomator and Xmind.

On MX I have an alternative to MXOffice - Softmaker FreeOffice, really nice, more directly matches MSOffice, if thats what one wants (I don't). They have a paid version too. Should work on Lite. I use Libre too.

Edit:
I meant to add I do think Linux Lite is a better entry point for those starting in Linux, not least the manual and the very helpful forum.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 10:11:28 AM by Searchernow »
SN.  I hope my reply has been useful - click Thank on the left.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 12:31:40 AM »

The Repairman

• Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2333 MHz

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:30:44 PM by The Repairman »

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 07:16:04 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

I find the documentation in Linux Lite far superior to MX-Linux's. That makes all the difference to a newbie coming from Windows IMO.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 04:17:34 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

We don't compete with or compare ourselves and then fill the void based on some peoples wishes when it comes to 'other' distros. We must stay focused on our own, unique objectives.
MX is unique and has a vision, Linux Lite is unique and has a vision.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section