You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 4.0 Suggestions welcomed

Author (Read 48028 times)

Re: Linux Lite 4.0 Suggestions welcomed
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 05:01:55 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Agree with the image viewer. A good example of a clear, comparative, good suggestion. Open to suggestions, as long as it honours the default theme - ie. no CSD as mentioned by @Oobuntus gThumb and EOG have CSD's.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:58:41 PM by Jerry »

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 02:53:53 PM »

Oobuntus

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-3630QM 2.4 GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD 4000

I am inclined to agree with Vera.
I always install gThumb to fill that vacancy, even though I also depend heavily on Gimp.
Unfortunately, gThumb is another one of those apps that use Client Side Decorations. CSDs quite offend me because they mess up the uniformity of my theming.
But fortunately, I can also install gtk3-nocsd from the webupd8 PPA.
Linux = happy.
(1) LL5.2 on System76 Gazelle Pro L4P9 (2012) i7-3630QM 2.4 GHz - 8GB - Intel HD 4000 1920x1080
(2) LL5.2 on Dell Latitude E5540 (2015) i5-4310U 2.0 GHz - 8GB - Intel HD 4400 1920x1080
(3) Xubuntu 18.04 on 32bit Acer Aspire 5672 (2006) Core Duo T2300 1.66 GHz - 4GB - ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 1280x800
(4) LL4.6 on HP Compaq 8000 SFF (2009) Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz - 4GB - Intel 4 Integrated Graphics 1920x1080
(5) LL4.6 on Acer Aspire 5515 (2009) AMD Athlon 2650e 1.6 GHz - 3GB - ATI Radeon Xpress 1200 1280x800

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 02:48:41 PM »

kissbaby3

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 1.4 GHz

• VIDEO CARD: on board
Hi, I'd like to point out a problem that all new Windows users migrating to LL for the first time will face. This is literally just about every user, unless they deal with no image files ever. Here it is:

What are we (the LL community) expecting ex-Windows users to do on a fresh LL install when they need to make a very simple edit to an image for the first time (e.g. simple rotation, crop or resize)? This can happen quite early on in their LL usage, when they're still not-so-familiar with the system.

With a current fresh LL installation, if you have just switched over from Windows, those users will be storing their vacation pics, family pics, whatever, under the Pictures folder in their linux home directory, just like they did in Windows - so far, so good. Then they decide to resize a few of them to send to grandma via email (who doesn't do social media), or just need a simple crop or rotate. What are we expecting these users to do?

They could click on the image to open it, and find out that, oh, I can only VIEW it that way. I can't DO anything to it.

By contrast, in Windows, as far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong), you can do simple crops and rotations and resize without expecting the user to actually open Photoshop.

Likewise, I feel that in LL 4.0 there should be a way to do that, which:

• comes pre-bundled in the LL 4.0 release (i.e. does not require a download from Synaptic Package Manager)
  • is user-friendly and modern-looking
  • does not require the user to open Gimp. That would be like expecting a Windows user to open Photoshop every time they want to just crop or resize.

I realize we can't expect to predict every eventuality that every Windows user might want, but it seems to me that this (simple image edits) would be a fairly reasonable expectation by ex-Windows users.

Gimp is fine, so i think having it is a good idea, they should have this maybe pre-installed with the future LL 4.0, its called "Pinta", not sure if its still being supported, its not perfect, but works for me , i am currently using LL 3.8, it works ok, check it out.
https://pinta-project.com/pintaproject/pinta/

as for people wanting to jump over to LL from windows, if they only have one PC, then they should get a new PC, that way they can install LL on their older PC and have time to play around with it , i say this because not every PC comes with a activation sticker on the PC, sometimes they have to dig it out of the motherboard by using a command line by using the "run" command, then calling microsoft and checking to see if that sticker activation key is the right one, just in case they go back to windows (if they only have one PC), this is why i always have 2 PC's around, one windows (as a possible back up) and one PC as a linux pc, and yes one can always dual boot, but a large percentage of people are too skittish to try that because of the fact they only have one PC.........

this is what i am going to attempt to do for my uncle, he is going to buy a new windows PC, so i told him, to keep his old PC and let me see if i can install some kind of Linux flavor on it (hopefully LL) , that way if his windows PC has issue's(since it will be under warranty) ha ha , he will have a linux PC as Back up, the one he is soon replacing now has the Old windows XP, which is now infected, so i told him to come to my house if he needs too, till he buys a new PC. poor old guy, i just want to hug him, he is  jonzing , lol.

just thought i share this , hugs every one.

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 12:25:02 PM »

Vera

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Enjoying Linux Lite.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Quad Core 1.6GHz

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon
Hi, I'd like to point out a problem that all new Windows users migrating to LL for the first time will face. This is literally just about every user, unless they deal with no image files ever. Here it is:

What are we (the LL community) expecting ex-Windows users to do on a fresh LL install when they need to make a very simple edit to an image for the first time (e.g. simple rotation, crop or resize)? This can happen quite early on in their LL usage, when they're still not-so-familiar with the system.

With a current fresh LL installation, if you have just switched over from Windows, those users will be storing their vacation pics, family pics, whatever, under the Pictures folder in their linux home directory, just like they did in Windows - so far, so good. Then they decide to resize a few of them to send to grandma via email (who doesn't do social media), or just need a simple crop or rotate. What are we expecting these users to do?

They could click on the image to open it, and find out that, oh, I can only VIEW it that way. I can't DO anything to it.

By contrast, in Windows, as far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong), you can do simple crops and rotations and resize without expecting the user to actually open Photoshop.

Likewise, I feel that in LL 4.0 there should be a way to do that, which:

• comes pre-bundled in the LL 4.0 release (i.e. does not require a download from Synaptic Package Manager)
  • is user-friendly and modern-looking
  • does not require the user to open Gimp. That would be like expecting a Windows user to open Photoshop every time they want to just crop or resize.

I realize we can't expect to predict every eventuality that every Windows user might want, but it seems to me that this (simple image edits) would be a fairly reasonable expectation by ex-Windows users.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:26:55 PM by Vera »
Using Linux Lite for everything now. I put it on my desktop and my laptop. Woohoo!

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 05:10:03 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
pre-release repos
I'm not sure I get this one, can you eleborate on this please?

Cheers!

the Ubuntu proposed ?

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 03:25:42 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
remove requirements for proprietary driver and software restricted and pre-release repos
I'm not sure I get this one, can you eleborate on this please?

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 08:53:56 AM »

noariad

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello,

Suggestion, please add dockbarx and its xfce4 panel plugin, please  8)

Awsome job ! thanks a lot!

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 02:55:31 AM »

manel

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel
Add default flatpak support comand line and GUI.

Actually there are some software only available in flatpak format and it seems that in the future more applications will follow this tendency.

For example: I have manually install flatpak to be able to use gradio (excelent radio aplication) or Lollypop music player.

Thank you for all your work.
Manel

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 06:10:09 AM »

osde8info

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• VIDEO CARD: vmware
remove requirements for proprietary driver and software restricted and pre-release repos

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 06:06:31 AM »

osde8info

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• VIDEO CARD: vmware
add pinta

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 11:13:05 PM »

humdinger70

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Core i7 2nd gen

• MEMORY: 16Gb
One thing that I would like to see is the ability to upgrade major versions of LL (from the current 3.X to 4.X) without having to do a full install (as was necessary with going from the LL2 to LL3 series). I first started using LL at the 3.2 release and then used your 'Lite Upgrade' function to go through the different iterations of 'citrine' (3.2->3.4->3.6->3.8 ).

Can 'Lite Upgrade' be fixed to handle the conversion from 3.8->4.0? Since LL is based on Ubuntu (16.04) and they can do updates from different versions (this computer initially had Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on it and their update process allowed an upgrade from 14.04 LTS to 16.04 LTS), can't LL be fixed to do the same?

I'm probably not the only one who's asked about this.

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 05:30:45 PM »

r00tacc3ss

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Celeron N3050

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 400
I have a small suggestion for the 4.x series: I suggest changing the default icons from Faenza to Obsidian. Faenza doesn't seem to be maintained anymore, and does not have icons for newer applications. Obsidian is a fork of Faenza (and is actively maintained), so the old look people are used to with Faenza will be maintained. As an example, Obsidian has the new Firefox Quantum icon with the square Faenza look.

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 12:27:11 PM »

Vera

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Enjoying Linux Lite.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Quad Core 1.6GHz

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon
Please replace the startup Boot Splash screen wallpaper.

Replace the white-feather-on-yellow-background for startup boot splash with either of the two new Linux Lite wallpapers, such as the image shown by @Jerry  in the Linux Lite 3.6 release notes (reproduced below).

Reason this change would benefit the majority of users: A more modern yet LL-specific wallpaper was included in the new wallpapers from LL 3.6 onward (i.e. as seen in image shown below). Because of this change, why not add this more modern image to the boot splash screen also? First impressions are important, and ALL USERS see the startup boot splash screen! So modernizing this every-time experience with the flat design shown below will be of benefit to all users.

Using Linux Lite for everything now. I put it on my desktop and my laptop. Woohoo!

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 08:09:47 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

Jerry, I know your feelings about all things G.  I wonder however whether you would sort out Google Earth for linux so it can be loaded with ease from a ppa .
I note your point 5)   BUT there is no alternative to street view which is an invaluable tool.  No Linux alternative AFAIK.
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 06:42:26 AM »

ian_r_h

• Merchandise Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Just a thought, but regarding the default setup of the terminal with regards to the mv, cp and rm commands - for the uninitiated move, copy or remove file(s)/folder(s).

Running the alias command (alias mv, alias cp or alias rm) shows that there is no alias set up for the three commands.  As I understand it, this means that anyone (especially a fellow newbie) using any command on one or more files or folders may accidentally move, copy-and-overwrite, or delete files and folders.

Might it be worth either:
1)  Setting up aliases to include the -i parameter such that mv, cp and rm operations by default prompt for confirmation; and noting in the manual that you can use \mv or \cp or \rm instead when performing multiple operations in one go to avoid prompts, or,
2)  Make explicitly clear in the manual that mv, cp and rm as it stands will overwrite or delete existing file(s) or folder(s)?

Apologies if I have made any mistakes here - I'm just starting out with the terminal basics.  Minor point anyway, I expect.
Don't worry about artificial intelligence.  Worry about natural stupidity.  :)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section