You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 3.0 Suggestion Thread

Author (Read 32021 times)

Re: Linux Lite 3.0 Suggestion Thread
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 06:26:14 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Great feedback so far, keep it coming.

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 04:18:28 PM »

nomko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • My personal Linux site

• CPU: Intel Core i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4th. Gen. integr. GPU/Nvidia GeForce GTX860M
My improvements:
  • Better language support: If a certain language is selected at the start of the installation, the whole system should automatically be set up with this chosen language as default like all other distro's does. LinuxLiteOS is the only distro of which i encountered this problem, all other distro's installs the chosen language at the beginning of the setup.
  • LinuxLiteOS uses Xfce as desktop environment, ditch LXterminal. Xfce Terminal Manager works well enough!
  • Lite software tools/control center: outstanding idea! Like Mint does with it's own control center these improvements are a very  good addition! Also, by default try to hide the menu entries of those tools which are shown in the Lite Software/control center. This will do a good thing with the Xfce menu by cleaning up the amount of entries.
My laptop:
MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything!

My Linux website

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 03:57:43 PM »

ZoA

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: FX-6300

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: R9 285
First off awesome distro! I'm using it for almost 2 years now, starting on 1.08, and now I'm on 2.6, and i had no problems except minor one with Croatian keyborad when I installed 2.6 version.

Distro is great as it is, only improvements that comes to mind are related to File Manger. I don't know if something can be done abut it but I think following features should be added to it if possible:

1) when in "detailed list" mode  file manger allows for user to change types and size of the columns for file name, size, type, date modified and other. But those columns and sizes are memorized for all directors if automatic size adjustment is turned off, and not at all if it is turned on. Ideal would be if file manager wild remember those user settings for each directory individually. If implemented this should be optional because some users might like using same stings in all directories.

2) as far as i can see "detailed list" mode in file manger has only limited number of option to sort files by. I think it would be nice if file manger could recognize media files and allow adding columns with data such as audio files length in minutes, and media file meta data such as track author, album and similar. This way it would be easier to sort media files with only file manger.

3) it would be great if each file manager window would have  search bar on it that would automatically search active directory and subdirectories, much like similar bar in MS windows explorer.

P.S. sorry for bad English

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 01:15:35 PM »

wkuehl

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2435M CPU @ 2.40GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
Hi Everyone!
     For the most part I have had a very enjoyable experience with this os.  I have been a long time Mac, Windows, and Mint Linux user.  I decided to try this os because Linux Format highly recommended it.  It is not hard to figure out why this Linux OS is becoming popular.  It is very easy to use.  Your Lite Software Tool is excellent an idea to add popular software that is not included with the os.  I would add more software through this medium channel than changing your lineup.  Would you consider adding the following items to your Lite Software Tool?  I would like to have you add Cinnamon's applets, grub customizer, a weather applet that actually works for the menu bar (this has been a real hassle with a number of linux os'), and a theme changer similar to plymouth.
        As for granny proofing or my mom proofing, I would like the opening feather graphic or other graphics to continue from turn on to login and login to start button usage.  No black whatsoever.  The user should not have to feel like they lost their screen graphics. Incidentally, I do like your proposed login screen!! Maybe have a nice grub graphics page like Zorin.  Also, I would like to suggest as well a desktop only app to turn-off icons not unlike what Mint Cinnamon uses.  Setting up printers needs to be more granny-proof as well.  I have no problem doing this.  But, I can see others having this hassle.
         I did notice in a couple of incidents where my Linux Lite 2.8 froze up temporarily.  Not sure why this happened but it always came back.  Did not notice this in 2.6. Also, I noticed screenlets sometimes disappear at startup.  Other times they show up as they should.  This has happened a few times on my other computers as well.
         Otherwise, keep up the good work!  This os is rapidly becoming my first choice to use!! :)

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »

Glenn

• Peace
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual-Core - AMD E1-1500 (3rd Gen) 1.48 GHz

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon HD 7310
It may be of personal preference but I'd suggest Parole in lieu of or in addition to Clementine as a Music Player option within "lite software", it's light on resources and straight forward.

Also, I'd suggest the addition of this link: https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/  within the Linux Lite Control Center and within the Linux Lite Help Manual. 

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 12:30:48 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
I don't know what the program is but I have seen it on You Tube reviews. It is a program that shows the kernel you are using, optional kernels, risk, etc. This would be helpful for users like me who want to use and stay with the LTS kernel.

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 12:27:20 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
A little cleaner login, full date, power options and user:

It looks great but I won't be using it because I auto login.  8)

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 12:02:10 PM »

T1125P

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3340M

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4000

Thanks Wirezfree I did not know that. I will most certainly be using this in the next version of Linux Lite. Looking forward to it.

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 05:39:02 AM »

aviceda

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz

How about changing the 'priority' of LL from the default distro in a multiboot grub-loader?

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 02:33:27 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
I vote for to add Cherrytree to LL Software Centre,
I think others would find it a great way to keep notes and much much more.
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 02:29:13 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Hello, I don't know if this has been added since I only use LL 1.0.6 right now, but maybe if possible to add something like Win 7, create a system image to a another drive or disc's. Then if something goes wrong we can just load the image as if nothing happened ^|^

I notice you are using 1.0.6,
In 2.8 there is Systemback that gives very similar results, Restore Points / Live Image creation

Try a "Live Boot" of 2.8 and see if it works on your Hardware.
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 02:10:16 AM »

bfb

• Banned
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
I really like the suggested log-in screen. Clean and modern.
How about some additions to Lite software?

1) http://www.freefilesync.org/
2) Audacity
3) Calibre

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 01:10:51 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

A little cleaner login, full date, power options and user:

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 12:55:46 AM »

ALPERDURUKAN

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7 2.3 Ghz

• VIDEO CARD: 2Gb GTX660M
Firstly, thank you for this amazing distro. I am a big fan of your work without even using it. I am on a new computer so all of my other OSes are booting with UEFI; therefore i request UEFI support, i know there was a thread to test it. I am not an expert, but I would like to help if it is still available.

Edit: There was an LL 2.6 iso so i just gave it a try; installed it as legacy-bios and booted with Linux Mint UEFI live media to install necessary grub-efi* packages and converted it to UEFI! I will update this post as i see some possible improvements.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 01:26:14 AM by ALPERDURUKAN »

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 11:40:36 PM »

T1125P

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3340M

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4000

Hello, I don't know if this has been added since I only use LL 1.0.6 right now, but maybe if possible to add something like Win 7, create a system image to a another drive or disc's. Then if something goes wrong we can just load the image as if nothing happened ^|^

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section