You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 2.6 Suggestion Thread

Author (Read 23876 times)

Re: Linux Lite 2.6 Suggestion Thread
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2015, 09:11:32 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Hello gistofit, thank you for taking the time to create this post. There is some carefully, well thought out feedback here.

One of the most important aspects that sets us apart from most other 'distros' is that we deliberately target Windows users. This is something that I haven't seen occur in the linux community in great numbers. Of course, linux folk are more than welcome to try and or use LL on their day to day machine, but everything that we do, we gear towards Windows folk. At this point I need to say that we are still some way from reaching that point as completely as a linux based operating system could hope to, but we will never lose focus on that, I can promise you.

If we stay with the tree analogy, then I must say that the bigger a tree gets, the more nutrients it will need. We are a small organization made up of incredible volunteers, generous with their free time.

Documentation was a strong focus from the day one. If you're going to target Windows folk, who are used to concise, well explained in layman's terms instructions, you better do it right. We I think, are on the right track.

I have so many ideas about how to make an OS easier to use. I record these ideas for future use through a variety of mediums, so that these ideas are never lost.

We have always been open to, and to a large extent, reliant on the community to provide useful feedback. When an organization listens to it's users, it creates a product that people want to use. It's how they would want things to be.

For us to reach the 'branches' stage we need more nutrients (people). Then, we can release and properly and effectively support and maintain those useful tools. When we need help with software, we pay developers to contribute via the donations we receive.

The way I see things as they currently are, we must continue to stay focused on our core goals without distraction or the temptation to do to much. This is a time game, and I'm extremely patient. We will reach our goal. We will water the tree each day, and when the time is right, it will bear fruit, for all.

« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2015, 12:43:37 AM »

gistofit

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.30GHz × 8

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® Sandybridge Mobile
---Offensive approach to user error and technical support---

Something that is somewhat overlooked at times in pursuit of the main nuts and bolts is excellent tutorials and guides.  Linux Lite is one of the best at these from my experience.  I am fairly new to linux in general but it was Lite that gave me the encouragement I needed to go all in with linux.  The simplicity of the distro COUPLED with the tutorial/manual was so welcome in the world of distribution chaos.  Having a great simple "windows user" friendly disto is awesome and for a new user to not have to figure out the linux lingo, distribution methods, flavors, compatibility problems, terminal commands, etc. etc. etc. (the main things that make up the linux learning curve) but have a guide that is custom made for their distro (linux lite) makes all the difference in the world. 

Something I think the linux community as a whole sometimes understands but needs to be more pre-eminent in is that "friendliness is king".

Here is why I think effort should be put into this area:

-It is easier to make a guide to show someone how to do "random thing in linux" then to code it into the main release.

-You can reach almost every users needs without spending the time coding it all. (Yes still annoying being customer service but I think it should be treated offensively instead of defensively)

obviously you start with most important things first.  I am thinking of some kind of importance "tree" if you will. 

The Roots are linux roots more importantly Linux Lites Roots - This is the part most people don't see and ex windows users don't need to know about at all in the beginning.

The Trunk is what makes it into the Linux Lite Releases.  These are the obvious and simple parts that hold up everything else.  You see it right away.  It is the largest most in your face component.

The Limbs are the built in Linux Lites extras.  The top 20 or so most commonly requested and used additions that are oh so conveniently just a click away!  As some grow bigger they demand inclusion into the release.

at this point we have (hopefully) catered to 80-90% of our followers.  wonderful!

Branches are just outside of this.  Maybe a major program used in other linux distros that didn't make the easy install list so you have to use the other slightly more clicks installer or heaven forbid the terminal!  Maybe theme changes, personal layout preference, different default apps, etc. 

Twigs are nitty gritty.  twigs involve years of know how and a post to a forum for guidance.  Most definitely twigs involve terminal.  But even this isn't bad with a guide whether the guide is a person or a manual.

Leaves.....come on now.  I will leave that alone.

as the tree grows twigs can become branches which can become limbs.  even the trunk can get bigger (but lets avoid becoming a bloated windows monstrosity that is all trunk)

thinking offensively in this area does nothing but benefit everyone involved.

if it is organized well people can vote on what grows and what gets pruned. 

I think Linux Lite is excelling already at the trunk and limbs parts. Most distros are in their own unique ways.   What I am suggesting is that the next step be taken to conquer the branches.  I don't think ANY linux distro has done this well yet.  The focus always seems to stop with limbs.  I think if you can conquer the branches(which I do see as more community tweaking and less developer focussed) this could explode. I think Linux Lite is THE distro to make this happen.

No number of developers will EVER be able to fix everyone's twigs.  There needs to be a better system of teaching everyone to mind there own. 

Organizing and curating this community effort almost as aggressively as the main project would do wonders for the branches. 

I know I ramble.  I am still new.  I sit in the midst of newish user experience and future ideals and voice my opinions.  Like all linux users I want to see it succeed and I put forth this as one possibility.  What are you thoughts?  I feel on the verge of loony and I am sure my analogy breaks down horribly in many ways. 

What ways can we improve the power, interactiveness and reach of the Help Manual??
When someone has a questions that gets answered in a forum how does that "twig" get added to the "tree of friendly convenience"??
Where can we see this "tree" grow and get more arborists involved??
Who are the arborists going to be??
Why am I still using the tree analogy??

lets turn this -----------------------

into this ------------------------

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2015, 07:40:42 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
@ Jerry(LL Creator)
Recoll, It might be nice to addition into LL Software Centre..??,
nice compliment to Find File(Catfish) it would give a Win XP like feel/option..??
Just a thought

On a seperate note,
I'm really struggling, after constant daily use over the past 12 months, I'm finding it hard to find fault :) :) :)
If there was one thing, which I thinks already been raised, "Auto Check for Updates" and "Apply"
I'm fortunate, though some may say "sad" I have LL on 5 pc's, and I have to remember to check them all.
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2015, 06:39:19 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

Thank you gentlemen.  Loaded Recoll 1.17 - Just the job :)  One less task to full migration!!
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2015, 02:54:11 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
@ newtusmaximus
In the old MS search world it had 2 fields,
1 for find file with "...." in it's name, and another option find file(s) "containing text" which is what recoll does
It's in Menu > System > Install/Remove Software (synaptic) search recoll but it is quite old. 1.17....

There is a Ubuntu PPA for recoll 1.20
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2015, 12:23:49 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

To newtusmaximus,

Someone else had a similar question and they experienced success by installing the software package "Recoll."
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:31:25 PM by torreydale »
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2015, 11:33:51 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

Sorry  Jerry , does not the above procedure only find  files with the  file name including the word in question?  What I was trying to explain was, I am looking for a word or phrase that is in a document or pdf etc. that is filed in my system somewhere - where  it is I have forgotten or misfiled that document/pdf ; I am trying to find it.  When using windows I could search the whole of the "drive" for that word or phrase  and all relevant documents containing that word or phrase would appear, which I could then trawl through etc. to find the exact document I needed..

As I understand it, catfish  will only locate a filename containing a specific word in the filename??  Am I correct?  I understand that Terminal can be used to locate a specific word , but I was hoping for an "easier"  non terminal use route??
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:49:21 AM by newtusmaximus »
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2015, 06:22:29 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2015, 06:19:01 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

Is there a way to include word search into Thunar  by default, as an addition to catfish? Thanks.

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2015, 01:29:08 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Image viewer - I am considering this, but any major changes to Series software is likely to occur in the following Series. Something with a few more options never hurts.

Gimp vs Pinta - this comes up more and more. I like and use Pinta myself however it lacks the other features we need in a more detailed image editor.

Auducious - the community voted on this a while ago, it's been decided to provide Clementine. Search the forums to see the thread.

Codecs - Restricted Extras takes care of this.

Imagination - more of a niche request, not something we consider a widely used, daily tool.

XFCE 4.12 - been covered many times, we would never include a major upgrade within a series of the DE, with so many different set ups out there, it's just to risky and theres to many variables at play.

Thank you Cirimax :)

Re : Linux Lite 2.6 Suggestion Thread
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2015, 01:09:02 AM »

cirimax

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Pentium Dual Core

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel
Hi Jerry !

a quick feedback on 2.6 x64bit : super, been thrashing at it, rock solid as usual.

I would like to suggest the following additional tools as default on new release, if these are not considered as a customisation or personl choices of course :

Image viewers
replace default with either

a. gThumb or
b. Shotwell.

Don't know which is less invasive on chosen "architecture". However I'm am using both and they both seem super fast and very stable.

Multimedia
c. Replace GIMP with PINTA. IMHO, much better for most people, not the Graphic Designers of course.
d. Audacious as default audio player. ( I suspect this has been already discussed in other threads )
e. Include Selene Media Encoder for full encorder management. Great diagnostic tool to check the codecs are all there and which are missing.
f. Include Imagination for building photo slideshows. I don't seem to have seen anything of the kind onboard.

I also decided to jump to xfce 4.12, so I upgraded from 4.10 ... seems even better with kernel 3.13.0.61 onboard !
I dont have a super computer ( a pentium dual core with 8gb ram ) and its purring like a cat.

Looking forwards to your feedback and insights.

Ad majora, Cirimax
Take care and have fun !

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2015, 11:09:58 PM »

morti

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Atom N450

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Integrated Graphics Controller
Ok - fair enough. 

Have been using it in LinuxLite.....and still trying it out.(though I should be using a more grunty PC than a netbook.)  Just wondered if it had been considered as an alternative as the graphics abilities seem rather good....though gimp probably meets most requirements any way.

yep - guess it is more of a 'user preference'.

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2015, 10:15:36 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Calligra require KDE dependencies?

And as such, would not be included in LL that uses the XFCE environment. Calligra is considered a user preference in this context.

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2015, 10:01:35 PM »

kintpuash

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Core 2 Duo T5270

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 8400M GS
calligra - is an office suit. has krita for graphics..and is in some ways more capible than gimp.

Calligra require KDE dependencies?

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2015, 09:26:40 PM »

morti

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Atom N450

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Integrated Graphics Controller
this may be getting 'pickie' as I can set this up myself...but wondered bout a different office suite thats more graphics oriented rather than with words...
calligra - is an office suit. has krita for graphics..and is in some ways more capible than gimp.

though it may not have the MSword compatibiliy that most word smiths desire.
..and Gimp is sort of like a linux standard..so I guess is expected by most.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section