You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Link Problems on Linux Lite Homepage

Author (Read 5429 times)

Re: Link Problems on Linux Lite Homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 03:05:53 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Yes, if you use Ad Block Plus, you'll have to disable social media link blocking to make those work for you. Apparently, some folks out there use those features in quite an annoying fashion...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 11:36:23 AM »

AL13N

• Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
P.s.  I've noticed that Adblock doesn't offer same options when installed to Mint 13 and I believe Linux Lite 1.0.6 or lower.  So if you're using LL 1.0.6 you may not have seen those options.  They are offered on LL 2.0 and on Mint 16.  I recently installed LL 2.0 and don't remember if the additional Adblock options were available on 1.0.8 but I think they were.

I'm using Adblock Edge and LL 1.0.8.  Those options can be selected by going to "Filter preferences", clicking on "Add filter subscription" and selecting each one from the drop down list.

I would guess that this method is also available in Adblock Plus and would also work with older distros (just a guess though).

I can also confirm the same behaviour regarding links on the home page but unfortunately cannot offer any help.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 07:09:38 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Yes, when I installed Adblock I also checked off to enable a few other filters -- one of which blocks social media buttons.  See pic below.

P.s.  I've noticed that Adblock doesn't offer same options when installed to Mint 13 and I believe Linux Lite 1.0.6 or lower.  So if you're using LL 1.0.6 you may not have seen those options.  They are offered on LL 2.0 and on Mint 16.  I recently installed LL 2.0 and don't remember if the additional Adblock options were available on 1.0.8 but I think they were.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 04:52:31 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Thanks for the information gold_finger, much appreciated. Let's see if we get an html pro to stop by and take a look to see whats going on.
FTR, I use FF with Adblock plus and those links and social media links work ootb. Looks like you have some added filters compared to mine (default)

Link Problems on Linux Lite Homepage
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
More of a "heads-up" here than anything else.

Problem:  On homepage of Linux Lite (specifically on https://www.linuxliteos.com/ and/or https://www.linuxliteos.com/index.html), none of the links to other pages were working.  Had to type in the link addresses of other pages to get to them because links from homepage didn't work.  Once on another page, the links from them to others worked fine -- it was only the homepage that had problems.

Have tracked down cause of mysterious problem to be things on the homepage being blocked by the Adblock Plus extension in Firefox web browser.   Here are my Adblock settings:

And here are the items (in red) being blocked on the LL home page that cause all links on the page not to work:

It appears that something about the social media buttons for Facebook, Twitter, etc. being blocked is causing problems with all links on the page.  I have not yet run into this problem on any other website.  Here's what I see without Adblock:

And here is same area with Adblock:

I'm no expert in HTML programming, but it appears that blocking the buttons causes this script (which is NOT being blocked) to not work properly.
Code: [Select]
<script>(function(d, s, id) {
  var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
  if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
  js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
  js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1";
  fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>

On above screenshot showing blocked items in red, if I allow the 3rd, 4th, & 5th blocked items then the links on the homepage work again.  Since none of the other pages on the LinuxLite website use the script and social media buttons, this problem does not happen on them.

So, the question to me is "why" does the malfunction of that script (caused by blocking social media buttons) affect ALL of the links on the page, rather than just the social media links?

Like I said, I'm no expert on this and am really just guessing.  Maybe someone else here who knows more about HTML programming can look at the source code for the homepage and figure it out.

Anyway, if anyone else happens to have same problem, just disable those Adblock filters on the LL site or manually type in the link you want to go to -- eg.  "http://www.linuxliteos.com/support.html"
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section