You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Issues I have come across thus far installing and using Linux Lite as a new user

Author (Read 5921 times)

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Further to this, I will set Python3 as the default in 5.6 going forward.

To set:

Code: [Select]
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/python python /usr/bin/python3 10

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

First off, hello. I am new to Linux Lite but not new to Linux in general. This post is my first and is aimed at bringing attention to little issues I have spotted during multiple installations of and the use of Linux Lite. I might alter this post if/when I find other issues or have other suggestions.

* (issue/oversight?) There is no "python" command, only python2. Scripts looking for "python" fail due to this. One example is youtube-dl.

Older Pythons are no longer in use (known by those who use linux regularly) People use 'python3' now.

* (suggestion) ffmpeg is not install by default. Using youtube-dl as another example, it needs it.

We need to be very careful about what we include. It's too easy to spill over in size with every suggestion we get and avoid becoming 'Linux Heavy'. Each program must meet several criteria including mass appeal. ffmpeg is not required by most who use LL.

* (issue/usability) The grub boot menu after you hit "e" to edit is very difficult to impossible to read due to the feather logo. Redoing the boot design might be a good idea for usability.

We'll see if more people report about this.

* (issue) Ctrl+C doesn't cancel filesystem checks when booting from USB despite it saying it will.

It does, you have to be very quick because once it gets to the filesystem.squashfs file, you can't cancel right in the middle of a file scan.

* (issue/annoyance) Right before the login prompt when starting, the audio "pops". This pop also happens right before playing videos in a browser, every video. I have not verified if it happens with videos from the hard drive.

That issue will be related specifically to your hardware. You should start a separate threads in the appropriate forum section for that.

* (suggestion) I came from MX Linux and I found their "quick system info" tool to be very useful. When ran, it would gather all the needed system info, redact private bits, format the output to be able to be pasted right into a forum post, and copy it to the clipboard all without the user dealing with it. Something similar might be useful for Linux Lite.

Lite System Report, Lite Info (for the web).

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@MCReaves

If I recall ....
FFMPEG is installable as part of the RESTRICTED EXTRAS with in LITE SOFTWARE...

Lite Software - Install - Choose Restricted Extras and/or what else you like :)

Lite Software contains a listing of those more often installed...
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

MCReaves

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9400

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon RX 550 4GB
Fresh install via 5.4 iso. I've only been using Linux Lite for a few days at most.

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

Ah, that's weird. I remember  using FFmpeg to cut some videos, so I thought it was installed by default, perhaps I installed and forgot about that.  But that's weird because LL has VLC, which needs FFmpeg too ... Did you upgrade from 5.2 or use 5.4 .iso to install?
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

MCReaves

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I'm using Linux Lite 5.4.

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

First off, hello. I am new to Linux Lite but not new to Linux in general. This post is my first and is aimed at bringing attention to little issues I have spotted during multiple installations of and the use of Linux Lite. I might alter this post if/when I find other issues or have other suggestions.

* (issue/oversight?) There is no "python" command, only python2. Scripts looking for "python" fail due to this. One example is youtube-dl.
* (suggestion) ffmpeg is not install by default. Using youtube-dl as another example, it needs it.
* (issue/usability) The grub boot menu after you hit "e" to edit is very difficult to impossible to read due to the feather logo. Redoing the boot design might be a good idea for usability.
* (issue) Ctrl+C doesn't cancel filesystem checks when booting from USB despite it saying it will.
* (issue/annoyance) Right before the login prompt when starting, the audio "pops". This pop also happens right before playing videos in a browser, every video. I have not verified if it happens with videos from the hard drive.
* (suggestion) I came from MX Linux and I found their "quick system info" tool to be very useful. When ran, it would gather all the needed system info, redact private bits, format the output to be able to be pasted right into a forum post, and copy it to the clipboard all without the user dealing with it. Something similar might be useful for Linux Lite.

See attachment for hardware information.

EDIT: I found the "quick system info" tool that MX uses and it is a bash script.
https://pastebin.com/raw/X3FEDqbe
What version of Linux Lite?
1. There is no python command anywhere since python2 reached EOL, people should use now python3 instead when running .py files.
Code: [Select]
$ python3 my_python.py2. FFmpeg is installed by default. What version of youtube-dl were you trying? Try this one https://youtube-dl.org/
3. Linux Lite ships with inxi and system info tools, one is a CLI tool you can run from the terminal to gather system info, and the other a GUI tool you can access in whisker menu.

About the ctlr+c, the "e" thing and the "pop" sound not sure.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

MCReaves

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

See attachment for hardware information.

EDIT: I found the "quick system info" tool that MX uses and it is a bash script.
https://pastebin.com/raw/X3FEDqbe
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 07:13:45 AM by MCReaves »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section