You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Interesting, well researched Review

Author (Read 7773 times)

Re: Interesting, well researched Review
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 11:42:27 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

• Kernel: 5.x
Just thought it would be helpful for those in the same position.
It sure is, for the Linux Lite part.
About partitioning.
Jerry, I "scratched" my memories over the years and I think I figured out what they were talking about.
I remembered I wanted to do a full partitioning, using the included Partition Manager, during the install process.
When creating the first three primary partitions, it went as expected. However, at the time of doing that, I needed at least 5 partitions on the remaining drive space. I was attempting a dual boot so I needed many partitions.
I created the "Extended" one, then started to slice it. Indeed, after the third partition, I got an error message and the installer got frozen.
But in the article, the reference was kinda fuzzy...
Still, except for this glitch, which -- as I see it -- has nothing to do with Linux Lite, I never had trouble using partitions either MSDOS or GPT (UEFI firmware).
As for the rest of the article, It is OK.
What I find annoying, is that they mixed a distro review with installer's review. This suggests that the distro has something wrong in it, which is a misleading suggestion.
The story as I remember, goes back at least 8 years and it seems it still lasts, since the article was written in June 2022...
My knowledge regarding Calamares/ Ubiquity is way below the minimum requirements to understand WHY this happens, but I see it still does, for years...

Maybe with those informations, people who get trouble creating many partitions, will rethink the choices and consider using GPartEd instead.
That is how I do it and it worked for more than 22 years.
Besides, it works fast enough, even on 4 TB media, and for some time, I've been using FAT32 and NTFS partitions, created with GPartEd.

Best regards! :)
"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 06:23:57 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Just thought it would be helpful for those in the same position.

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 07:05:12 PM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

Of which the point they make about installing to a  non-GPT table may clear the air for some folk experiencing installation issues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.debugpoint.com/linux-lite-6-review/%3famp=1

HI! :)

Sorry Jerry, but the article lacks professionalism.
I've been using both MSDOS partitioning AND UEFI (GPT).
Linux Lite, did and DOES an excellent job , on SEVEN partitions, so "four", is... lack of professionalism.
I am using many partitions for years and many years, they were MSDOS partitions so, at most three primary and the fourth, "extended". After that, you can make as many as the media can hold.
And Linux Lite, DOES THE JOB!
Probably the author is a Windows geek and he meant "has trouble managing Windows-Linux dual boot", but this has nothing to do with Linux Lite, everybody knows that!
Beyond that, it is very unclear to me what they meant in the "BOOT" paragraph.
All you need to make it work, is watch close the boot sequence and choose the appropriate mode in the boot menu. The rest, is irrelevant. Only if you fail to choose the appropriate mode, you may encounter trouble during install.
It is true that I usually make partitions before any other step, using GPartEd. However, from time to time, I use the partitioning module included in the installer and I never had trouble, except if I changed my mind at some point, which is a whole different story.
So, in fact, what went wrong there? Nothing mentioned, except the alleged "four logical partitions" issue.
When on BIOS firmware, I made purposely three primary partitions and the last, extended. All went as expected. So, "seven partitions", means four "logical partitions", at least. In fact, there are five. And I sometimes had something like /dev/sda1... /dev/sda9. So, it works! ;)
The only possible interpretation would be LVM, but "logical partition" is slightly different from LVM and there is no clear reference to LVM.
Besides...
Is LVM Linux Lite's job? I thought that the RAID chip, or software does the "heavy lifting" on LVM. But where is the "magic word" "RAID", or "LVM"?
Confusing...
Questionable:
"After a few hours of research, we found that Ubiquity doesn’t play well with a non-GPT table with more than three logical partitions."
As I said above: I used more than four logical partitions: six. And it went well.

Best regards! :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 07:15:53 PM by Şerban S. »
"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

Interesting, well researched Review
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 10:22:42 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Of which the point they make about installing to a  non-GPT table may clear the air for some folk experiencing installation issues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.debugpoint.com/linux-lite-6-review/%3famp=1

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section