You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Help Manual Suggestions wanted

Author (Read 18377 times)

Re: Help Manual Suggestions wanted
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2017, 03:28:45 AM »

ralphy

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Developer
    • View Profile
https://unlockforus.com

Sorry for seeming stupid and preferring Linux - I just don't know any better.

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 01:46:52 AM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
 :)  Excellent video, Ralphy, appreciate all your great contributions.

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2017, 08:40:04 PM »

ralphy

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Developer
    • View Profile
Had an embarrassing thing happen to me today...

TL;DR: Please add some mention of the firewall in the Networking section of the guide, at least in regards to the Samba sharing configuration section. I think it would greatly benefit certain users, as out-of-the-box this feature will not function with the default firewall settings.

Well, we wanted to come back to this and thank you for your feedback. We've made some changes in Network Share Settings to help with the initial setup. I think we have accomplished just that.

https://unlockforus.com

Sorry for seeming stupid and preferring Linux - I just don't know any better.

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 10:23:46 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Thank you crazysquirrel.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 09:37:19 AM »

crazysquirrel

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: core2duo 1.8ghz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: gt9400
I've added some new content to the Manual (online Manual shows these). Would someone mind writing up a short, plain English explanation of what Wine is and what you use it for? Thank you.

In short (plain English explanation):

Wine application is a compatibility layer capable of running many Windows programs in Linux.

A bit more descriptive: 

Wine application is a compatibility layer capable of running many Windows programs in Linux. Software programs are designed for different operating systems, and most won't work on systems that they weren't designed for.

Windows programs won't natively run in Linux because they contain instructions that the system can't understand until they're translated by the Windows environment. In that same way, Linux programs won't run under the Windows operating system because Windows is unable to interpret all of their instructions.

Through Wine's compatibility layer, when a Windows program tries to perform a function that Linux doesn't normally understand, Wine will translate that program's instruction into one supported by Linux.

I think that's plain enough, and boldly describes what it is and what it does.

You may want to add a disclaimer of sorts.

WINE will not run *most* windows software.

In particular some of those that require .net framework may not install or run properly or those requiring certain windows components.

WINE will not work with many blood sugar testers, GPS devices, etc. when you plug in the device to download/upload readings or obtain updates.

Before seeking WINE to resolve a program need, look here:

http://www.linuxalt.com/

WINE cannot play some high end video games or will not play satisfactorily.

Some internet places may require the use of a full version of Windows (not too many and the list is getting shorter). Generally some of those sites require internet exploder.

Sometimes it is better to run a full version of windows inside a virtual machine than to use WINE.

PlayOnLinux is a companion to WINE. It may help with getting games to play.

Also, a warning!
If you install WINE, you must install a suitable antivirus/antimalware as you can introduce malware into your linux system inadvertently.

For game players - you can install STEAM, but that too is quite limited.

Look here for additional information:

https://itsfoss.com/linux-gaming-guide/

Here is one place that can help with issues but it is not free-

https://www.codeweavers.com/

Codeweavers (WINE is based on this) is pretty awesome but it still cannot run every Windows software.

If all else fails and you just 'GOTTA HAVE' that certain game or software and when the above doesn't work or work well enough for you, you can consider dual booting linux and windows (not always successful but many times it does work)

Personal note: I have tried may ways like the above with varying success. Best order I have found is this:
1) Get Linux equivalent               (Usually works)
2) Dual booting                            (mostly unsuccessful)
3) Virtual machine                       (Mostly successful)
4) WINE                                       (sometimes works)
5) Use two different computers   (Always works)
Wife made me afraid of squirrels. She said I was a NUT? Go figure...

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 05:08:39 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

I haven't seen anything on how to access, install, setup, or change printers, all in one's, etc.

Here's the section in the manual - scrolling down there is a section for HP's..
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/hardware.html#printer

If you could post the model, some could get more specific..

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 05:01:12 PM »

crazysquirrel

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: core2duo 1.8ghz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: gt9400
I haven't seen anything on how to access, install, setup, or change printers, all in one's, etc.
Wife made me afraid of squirrels. She said I was a NUT? Go figure...

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 06:03:19 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
Lite Tweaks ...

It would be great if the next update of the LL Manual gives the command-line for each of the applications listed in Lite Tweaks (or at least as many of them as possible). 

This would be much appreciated for someone trying to get to grips with command-line...

Cheers  :)
Mike
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:06:47 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2017, 11:15:22 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

I would be willing to write a text only basic installation manual formatted like the Debian installation manual (cheap to print and produce) with an expanded networking section. If graphics are necessary someone else would have to provide them after the fact. Also someone else would have to write the UEFI section though most of that could be lifted from Ubuntu. It would take me a couple of months I'm sure, and probably have to be edited and added to after the end of 3.x series.

TC   
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2017, 10:30:02 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

montylafp:

The LL firewall does not interfere with Samba on my several setups to Windows 10 connections even on ad hoc wifi addresses, nor on RDP either. It is only a factor with SSH and SFTP connections Linux to Linux. Windows sorts its own settings in Samba and SFTP through the share settings. Your Windows 10 share settings are not correct.

TC 
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 03:53:28 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Thanks Jerry.  Yes, it would be quite a bit of work..  :-\
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 03:27:35 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

@m654321, I have seen your suggestion previously. Simply put, I don't have the time to undertake a project of that magnitude. If someone would like to take it on, I'd be more than happy to reimburse them. Cheers.

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 01:20:28 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Jerry, I've already posted this suggestion elsewhere.

There exist published paperback guides for Ubuntu and  Linux Mint - you can find them on Amazon.com.  Please could LL also do this. At least some of us (maybe many..?) would prefer a hard copy of the Manual. There are too many pages to print out (200 to 300)

A paperback copy on Amazon would be another way of advertizing LL, getting it out there to the general public.  Obviously, any profits from the sale of this could then be ploughed back in for LL development.

Maybe to check the level of interest of such a project, you could do a forum survey ...

Many thanks for reading this
Mike
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:27:01 AM by m654321 »

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 09:19:50 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Thanks, I'll add a note about the Firewall to the next version of the Help Manual.

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 09:11:03 PM »

montylfp

• Fedora in the streets, Linux Lite in the sheets.
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5 2500k @4.5GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: R9 390
Had an embarrassing thing happen to me today. Long story short, I attempted to get Samba operating for use on a Windows 10 machine. I followed this tutorial in your help manual to the letter:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/network.html#shares

After that, I could see the machine over my LAN on the Windows 10 machine, but simply could not access it, with Windows throwing me error messages about being unable to access. After much furious Googling and tearing my hair out, a thought occurred to me that should have hours before: What if the Linux Lite firewall is interfering?

As luck would have it, that was it. I disabled it real quick and suddenly everything worked.

I'm an intermediate-level user (though I guess not because this didn't occur to me sooner), but a beginner might not realize to check for firewall settings. I think some mention of the firewall on this page would be a good idea so that others don't have issues like I did.

TL;DR: Please add some mention of the firewall in the Networking section of the guide, at least in regards to the Samba sharing configuration section. I think it would greatly benefit certain users, as out-of-the-box this feature will not function with the default firewall settings.

P.S. Whenever a not-too-Linux-or-otherwise-computer-savvy person needs a non-Windows OS, I invariably suggest using this. I've met some real computer illiterates who could use this without issue. I've even considered using this myself full-time once or twice. Thank you for all your hard work, I hope this small suggestion can help.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:21:31 PM by montylfp »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section