You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Further thoughts and feedback on Linux Lite, 2.8 and 3.0.

Author (Read 4046 times)

Re: Further thoughts and feedback on Linux Lite, 2.8 and 3.0.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 09:38:08 PM »

Digistylus

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
This fix took care of my screen tearing:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,2790.0/topicseen.html
Thanks for the link, I tried it for an LL 2.8 install on a laptop with intel graphics and it worked.

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 02:26:32 PM »

banko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Celeron CPU T3300 (-MCP-)

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. 2.8 based on feedback, seems to be our best release to date. You'll get that late in any series as software improves and more refinement comes so the OS. So look for 3.8 to be a real ripper!

Screen tearing - I'm reluctant to deploy Compton as a release. I've addressed why in the past, but to reiterate, the variables that Compton offers is not a one size fits all solution for all computers. Given that most computers don't experience it, Compton remains a sensible, viable solution option for people in the minority that experience screen tearing.

Lite Control Panel - I'm working with paid developers to bring a unique solution to this in the future. I'm not giving any information away at the moment as to how this will be presented, as I believe it will be a first in the linux desktop OS world :) It will certainly have most of the features you would expect, and more ;)

Thanks neptune33
I had a slight shimmer when scrolling down, didn't think it was screen tearing, but tried your link and solved a very slight problem, so thanks.

Keith.

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Cheers Phil.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 11:35:50 AM »

unclebaldie

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A6-3620 @ 2.2Ghz

Thanks, Jerry,

Yes, I had read the release notes, but I was rather hoping that things might change, and I could just upgrade to the Final.

Hey-ho, never mind. Looking forward to the Final.

I love Linux Lite, and congrats and thanks to everyone involved in producing Linux Lite. With LL3.2 it has just got even better.

Regards,
Phil

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 10:42:12 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

With the final release of 3.2, will I have to do a complete reinstall, or will it be possible to upgrade from the beta (please)?

See here for information on that - https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/release-announcements/linux-lite-3-2-beta-released/

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 10:40:37 PM »

neptune33

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Neptune33

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz E6550

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Corp
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. 2.8 based on feedback, seems to be our best release to date. You'll get that late in any series as software improves and more refinement comes so the OS. So look for 3.8 to be a real ripper!

Screen tearing - I'm reluctant to deploy Compton as a release. I've addressed why in the past, but to reiterate, the variables that Compton offers is not a one size fits all solution for all computers. Given that most computers don't experience it, Compton remains a sensible, viable solution option for people in the minority that experience screen tearing.

Lite Control Panel - I'm working with paid developers to bring a unique solution to this in the future. I'm not giving any information away at the moment as to how this will be presented, as I believe it will be a first in the linux desktop OS world :) It will certainly have most of the features you would expect, and more ;)

Linux Lite 4.0 64 bit
Using screen tearing mod.
Lenovo 6072-BVU
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz E6550
4Gb ram
250 GB HD

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 10:26:35 PM »

unclebaldie

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Understood.

:)
I prefer to have the info on my screen normally.
But I also have a button on my panel that toggles Conky on or off, if I need to, via a (very) short script.

Everyone is different, and that's the beauty of Linux. It is what you make it - unique to you.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 10:12:53 PM »

Digistylus

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
You'll get that late in any series as software improves and more refinement comes so the OS. So look for 3.8 to be a real ripper!
Sounds great and I'm looking forward to it, 3.0 in general did a great job with the "ready to go out of the box" experience in my albeit limited testing.

No worry on that front, even when I found out about the compton fix in the LL forum it seems some folks didn't even experience screen tearing at all, or the simple tick "synchronize drawing to vertical blank" worked fine for them. I'm starting to wonder if I have a screen tearing gremlin when it comes to xfce in general. I tried it in up to 4 machines I have, with both discrete NVIDIA GPU and built in Intel HD graphics, and they all seem to need that compton fix, or at least a 14.04 based distro with xfce on the machines I have. I think it's gremlins.  :o What is somewhat annoying is that xfce is otherwise still my favorite DE.

It will certainly have most of the features you would expect, and more ;)
Awyeeeaa!

Quote from: unclebaldie
I take it that you mean some kind of status display.
In LL 3.2 (Beta), the Conky widget gives you most of that information, and is easily modified to show exactly what you want.
For me I'm mostly thinking of a one button convenience that shows a simple but relevant system status display, and whether or not the system is up to date if not Update(y/n), all in one window panel. I'd likely have it on the taskbar \ panel but not necessarily always displaying on the desktop, but pops up a display should I need to see it. That's just my personal preference though.
a great distro.
That it is.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 09:55:41 PM »

unclebaldie

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@Digistylus
-a basic system spec such as OS ver, kernel version, cpu, RAM total and usage, storage total and usage.
I take it that you mean some kind of status display.
In LL 3.2 (Beta), the Conky widget gives you most of that information, and is easily modified to show exactly what you want.

@Jerry
Re: the 'unique' feature that you are working on.
Dang, that's piqued my interest!!

BTW, I know that LL3.2 is only Beta, but it has so far proved very reliable and stable - love it !
And it now plays nicely in the grub with other distros.
The whole desktop looks clean and sharp, and that widget is gorgeous.
With the final release of 3.2, will I have to do a complete reinstall, or will it be possible to upgrade from the beta (please)?

Sorry if I wandered ever-so-slightly off-topic.
Many, many thanks for a great distro.

Phil

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 09:14:03 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Further thoughts and feedback on Linux Lite, 2.8 and 3.0.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 08:57:41 PM »

Digistylus

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

It's been nearly a year since I first tried out linux, and a short while later tried linux lite 2.8 and liked it quite well. So well that not too long after I installed it on 2 computers, an older workhorse (Core2Quad, 8gig ram, GT 730 GPU) converted into a media PC, and a business grade laptop (HP elitebook 8440p, i5, 4gig ram).

At the time of this writing, I'm setting up LL 2.8 on 2 more computers, thinkcenter sff desktops (m72e i5 3.10ghz, 8gig ram and an m81 pentium G620 2.6ghz , 4gig ram). Bottom line: I like LL 2.8, and it has become my go-to installation for an OS. So far it has been 99.999% bulletproof OS for a small office\home office machine, for a 2D graphics work machine, for a media pc, and for a Steam on linux machine.

The few issues that IMO still needs ironing seems to stem from ubuntu itself or xfce, not really from Linux Lite itself. And most of those issues to me are not major function types, but small quality of life type issues. Things like screen tearing that AFAIK stems from xfce, which thankfully I found a fix with compton thanks to the LL forum, but in terms of "ready to go out of the box" something like that xfce screen tearing is not very noob friendly. And I'm saying that as someone who prefers xfce as my first choice for a desktop environment and distros that uses xfce.

On a laptop, some of the small quality of life issues (afaik stems from ubuntu) iirc are or were the battery indicator not displaying properly until it enters and exits suspend mode, having to fix a brightness setting memory (sysvinit backlight iirc). Again not necessarily show stopping but those things do make an impression for a potential new linux user especially if they are coming from primarily Windows based. But to say it again, aside from those quality of life issues, LL 2.8 IMO in general is good to go, period.

On to LL 3.0, I have tried it out for a few weeks now and I have it ready on a DVD install disk. Right now however, 2.8 is still what I use, I'll explain why. First off what IMO LL 3.0 got it bang on and on the right track:
-Better Hidpi options support. Likely not noticeable for most regular desktop usage, but becomes important for a media pc usage, with UI scaling, legibility and usability. Two big thumbs up on LL 3.0 bringing the improvement and options on this!
-Lite Software looks better with the icons versus just text. While I was never that uncomfortable going with text terminal installation, Lite Software is just easier to use for new people or people who just want to get things to work and go.
-Major function wise, my experience with it so far is smooth and no hiccup. I'm not sure if ubuntu fixed it on their end but personally I have yet to experience any problems with wifi connection setups I've heard other people had encountered.

On to the points on why I am on 2.8 for now, until 3.0\ubuntu 16.04\xfce addresses it.
-Screen tearing. It might not be a huge deal for some people but it's just too annoying for me, and becomes a deal breaker when using it for a media machine. I tried the enabling compositor and synchronize vertical blank fix, it was a no-go. Installing compton fixed the screen tearing, but seems to mess up the update process somehow. As soon as I find a fix for this, 3.0 is going on my main personal machine.
-Not a deal breaker but I do miss the convenience of Lite Control Center, I can probably just put "system information" and "resource usage" on the taskbar or panel, but personally I like the idea of a  one button convenience display. Without beating a dead horse it's unfortunate things do not work out and I guess sometimes it's just best to move on. If the LL team are planning something to replace it, I'll just say this, it might be useful to have a convenience button that displays:
-whether a system is up to date, update now (y/n)
-a basic system spec such as OS ver, kernel version, cpu, RAM total and usage, storage total and usage.
-Linux Lite help manual, and Linux Lite website link .

TL;DR: LL 2.8 is still awesome, and as soon as I find a fix for that screen tearing, LL 3.0 will be installed on my main machine. Linux Lite is what convinced me that Linux is getting ever closer to be "Year of the Linux Desktop". To the Linux Lite team, I say this sincerely. Please continue to keep doing what you're doing, you are doing great work and a much needed one.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section