You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Clearing browser cache with Lite Tweaks

Author (Read 5093 times)

Re: Clearing browser cache with Lite Tweaks
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 12:02:16 PM »

param96

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i3 M 380 (4) @2.53 GHz

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: No dedicated GPU

• Kernel: 5.x
"The browser was built to strip online ads from websites and its maker's business model relies not only on ad blocking, but on replacing the scratched-out ads with advertisements from its own network."

"Unlike other browsers that block ads and trackers — whether natively or when equipped with an ad-blocking add-on — Brave has created an ad ecosystem to replace what it wipes off websites."

"That's why, claimed Brave, it not only swapped its advertisements for those originally displayed by a site, but built a crypto-currency-based system that can, theoretically at least, compensate those same websites."

Certain elements of the cache (those connected to Brave's network) cannot be cleared without ruining the browser's functionality. Here's a reference for how Brave works:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html

In all honesty MS Edge for Linux (based on Chromium) properly set up is probably the most secure browser currently available for ordinary (tech challenged) users, but only specifically for Linux OS's (on Windows you have to deal with native Windows telemetry). I prefer Firefox only because I can background and hyperlink to bash scripts, something which has been absent from Chromium and originally Blink for a long time. Microsoft is the strongest advocate in the W3C for user privacy, so don't be fooled by web rhetoric. Of course that doesn't include their own telemetry if you are a Windows user. You might also be surprised to know that Bing is a more secure search engine for Linux than Google, and it is not dealing with the organizational mess that W3C and outside contracted SEOs have made of Google.

Tor may be more secure, but using Tor will eventually get you scrutinized by bad actors and many governments. I don't expect Brave to make it very far into the future, so it may be wasted effort to get you the functionality you request even if possible.

If you are used to Chromium and/or Chrome the latest improvements are in MS Edge for Linux.
If you hate MS then use Firefox.
Most of the other browser entries are just gas.

TC

I use Brave for Google websites (youtube mainly), Facebook websites and Twitter only. I'm practising a technique called Browser Isolation so that these Big tech companies can't collect my data through Browser fingerprinting (history, bookmarks,etc.) Thank You, maybe I'll install Edge if I'll encounter problems with Brave in the future.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 01:01:02 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

We already had Brave in Select Default Browser, so I've just added the cache cleaner. Install Updates to get it.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 05:47:27 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Brave is not supported in Lite Tweaks.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 02:00:48 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

"The browser was built to strip online ads from websites and its maker's business model relies not only on ad blocking, but on replacing the scratched-out ads with advertisements from its own network."

"Unlike other browsers that block ads and trackers — whether natively or when equipped with an ad-blocking add-on — Brave has created an ad ecosystem to replace what it wipes off websites."

"That's why, claimed Brave, it not only swapped its advertisements for those originally displayed by a site, but built a crypto-currency-based system that can, theoretically at least, compensate those same websites."

Certain elements of the cache (those connected to Brave's network) cannot be cleared without ruining the browser's functionality. Here's a reference for how Brave works:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html

In all honesty MS Edge for Linux (based on Chromium) properly set up is probably the most secure browser currently available for ordinary (tech challenged) users, but only specifically for Linux OS's (on Windows you have to deal with native Windows telemetry). I prefer Firefox only because I can background and hyperlink to bash scripts, something which has been absent from Chromium and originally Blink for a long time. Microsoft is the strongest advocate in the W3C for user privacy, so don't be fooled by web rhetoric. Of course that doesn't include their own telemetry if you are a Windows user. You might also be surprised to know that Bing is a more secure search engine for Linux than Google, and it is not dealing with the organizational mess that W3C and outside contracted SEOs have made of Google.

Tor may be more secure, but using Tor will eventually get you scrutinized by bad actors and many governments. I don't expect Brave to make it very far into the future, so it may be wasted effort to get you the functionality you request even if possible.

If you are used to Chromium and/or Chrome the latest improvements are in MS Edge for Linux.
If you hate MS then use Firefox.
Most of the other browser entries are just gas.

TC

All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Clearing browser cache with Lite Tweaks
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 08:55:24 AM »

param96

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i3 M 380 (4) @2.53 GHz

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: No dedicated GPU

I have Brave, Firefox and Midori installed on my laptop. I'm able to see Midori and Firefox in Lite Tweaks but there is no brave browser. Is this because I haven't downloaded it through Synaptic Package manager?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 12:13:58 PM by param96 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section