You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Minor issues with an external hard drive

Author (Read 11899 times)

Re: Minor issues with an external hard drive
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 04:41:06 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Ah, I've been tinkering and came in to report a problem, but I see that I already have. The otherwise well behaving external data disk is rendered comatose by putting the machine to sleep.

Upon waking the drive is mounted, its address is the same as before system sleep, and its used space is given, but no files are shown or findable. Need to restart to use the drive.

Is this a known problem?

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 09:39:30 AM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Well, interesting developments. Thanks N4RPS for the GParted suggestion - it did indeed solve my restart problem!

Now something else has turned up - if I put the system to sleep, when it wakes, all the external drive's files are unseen in Krusader - it gives the space used correctly but cannot show anything else. The icon for the drive has appeared on the desktop - as if it were newly plugged in and not registered as hard disk in fstab - and it claims it cannot touch the drive as it is already mounted. Next time I must test to see if other file managers do the same.

So sleep-wake seems to re-attach the drive in some sense, and then nothing can see it as it is mounted and unmounted at the same time, so to speak. Does this sound like a known problem? I know suspend is very dodgy with Ubuntu, I gave up on it before I gave up on Ubuntu.

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 01:41:30 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

None at all. All that making your external HD non-bootable will do is solve your problem. I was only further elaborating just how useful GPartEd can be as part of the overall installation process...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 01:31:58 AM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
But this isn't a dual boot, it's just an external data disk - should be no danger making it non-bootable?

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 01:19:51 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

I use GPartEd as in integral part of ANY dual-boot install I do - for example, to shrink a Windows partition to fit a new Linux partition (and swap) on the same drive. On the next time it boots into Windows, it automatically runs a CHKDSK to reconcile the changed Windows partition.

Depending on how partitions are laid out on a particular drive, I SUPPOSE this has the potential to cause problems, but, knock wood, I've never had any myself. Of course, I use Redo Backup to back up what's there beforehand, just in case...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks guys - yes :) - the GParted suggestion did sound infinitely safer, you did a very thorough job of outlining the dangers of the alternative! I'll report back when I get a chance to test it out.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 10:48:13 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Quote from: N4RPS
If you want to leave it hooked up on startup, you'll have to either use GPartEd to 'turn off' that boot flag, or turn it off as a boot selection in your BIOS. The former option is preferable because THAT will keep it from trying to boot into a Windows install that doesn't exist...

Just saw this posted by N4RPS after I made my post.

Didn't cross my mind to just use GParted like that.  If you can, do that instead of using my solution -- much safer.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 10:42:37 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

With regards to your NTLDR problem -- just so I am sure what you mean:

If you do a normal "shutdown" of LinuxLite -- no problem.  Correct?

If you do a "restart" of LL -- problem.  Correct?

On the restart, does the problem occur after LL is down and then started up again?  Or does LL hang and not shutdown for reboot at all?

If problem is that LL does go down, but reboot process shows error, experiment with following and report back result:
-- hit "reboot" like you normally do
-- immediately after LL goes down (and BEFORE) reboot starts, disconnect external drive.
-- I'm guessing that you now don't get the error message.  Is that correct?

-- If "yes" (you now don't get the error message), then my guess is that somehow Windows stuck something in the MBR of the external drive.  How/Why?  I don't know.  Maybe some Windows update done with the external drive attached caused that -- purely a wild guess on my part!

-- You can get rid of what's in the MBR with the following command, but you need to be EXTREMELY CAREFUL that it is entered correctly and is pointed at the external drive:

Code: [Select]
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=446 count=1Substitute the correct drive designation for your external drive where I have /dev/sdX above.  (NOTE:  you are using just sdX, not a particular partition like sdX1.)  For example, if you have one internal drive and one external drive, sda will likely be the internal drive and sdb might be the designation for the external drive.  The command zeros out the first 446 bytes of the drive, which is where the MBR is located.

To find the correct designation for the external drive, have the drive connected then run following command:

lsblk

Confirm the result you find with above by running next command (look to see if it shows same sdX as other command did for the external drive):

sudo blkid
WARNING and FULL DISCLOSURE:
Using the dd command can be very dangerous -- if done improperly can easily wipe out your drive!  I have not needed to use the command myself in the above form (to wipe out an MBR); so you may want to wait until another knowledgeable Linux user checks and confirms that the command I've written is correct before proceeding.

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 10:28:46 AM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Aha - that's interesting, thanks. I should be able to manage to set it as non-bootable in GParted. I will see if that sorts me out.

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 10:25:45 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

Sounds like what you have is enough of a Windows boot sector on that external HD for it to think that Windows MIGHT BE installed, but not enough for it to actually BE THERE. It also sounds like SOMETHING, sometime in the past, enabled a flag that's telling your PC this drive is bootable.

If you want to leave it hooked up on startup, you'll have to either use GPartEd to 'turn off' that boot flag, or turn it off as a boot selection in your BIOS. The former option is preferable because THAT will keep it from trying to boot into a Windows install that doesn't exist...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 06:26:20 AM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Ah, just noticed that I misread part of your reply. Windows has never been installed to the external drive either, it is a backup drive and just contains data, no OS - but it has been in use attached to Windows machines, if that might be a factor.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 05:43:13 AM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks very much for all that, I will investigate as soon as I can. The NTLDR error message I don't know so much about, though when it first happened I noticed from Googling it that it was sometimes linked to an external hard drive, so I thought it could well be related here.

I don't know if it can be a Windows problem, but it can't be in this case, I'm running LL on a laptop that has never had anything else on its new SSD which is its one and only hard drive.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:25:38 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Quote from: mandoran
If I try to mount the external drive now I get the following error: Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with:
mount: according to mtab, /dev/sdb1 is already mounted on /home/jonathan/ntfsfiles
mount failed

Error message says it's already mounted -- at /home/jonathan/ntfsfiles.  So, I'm assuming you followed instructions from Help Manual and created an entry in /etc/fstab to automount on boot.  (That looks like what is indeed happening.)  If you go to your home directory there should be a folder called "ntfsfiles".  That's the location now for your drive and the files on it.

Before, without modifying the fstab file, the drive would open Thunar after boot, when the drive would suddenly be mounted.

Now that you have it automounted as part of the filesystem it won't do that anymore.  Just open file manager and navigate to the "ntfsfiles" directory under /home/jonathan.  I don't use Krusader, (looks similar to Midnight Commander and/or Ranger which I have), but that should work fine also -- just navigate to /home/jonathan/ntfsfiles.

If your files don't show up there for some reason, post back the output of these two commands:
sudo blkid
cat /etc/fstab

The NTLDR error persists on attempts to restart.

Not sure what that is, but sounds like something left over from a Windows system.  Did you have Windows installed to that external drive at some point?

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 03:10:06 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I have finally had the chance to test this. Adding the drive following the advice in the manual now leads to the drive being unmounted on boot up. The NTLDR error persists on attempts to restart. If I try to mount the external drive now I get the following error: Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with:
mount: according to mtab, /dev/sdb1 is already mounted on /home/jonathan/ntfsfiles
mount failed

Before, without modifying the fstab file, the drive would open Thunar after boot, when the drive would suddenly be mounted. But Krusader was not automatically mounting the drive when I ran Krusader, which was what I was hoping. And I had the NTLDR problem when restarting.

Now, after I am quite sure following the add a drive instructions, the drive does not seem to be working properly at all.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 07:47:35 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Adding drives is covered step by step in the Help Manual, there is no point in us typing here what has already been made available to you.
Secondly re. NTLDR it may be related to the external drive. Once you set up the external drive correctly, check for error again.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section