You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Grub Rescue?

Author (Read 8119 times)

Re: Grub Rescue?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 04:38:01 PM »

kjacobs

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8200 @ 2.66GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb
Wow.....just came back to find the reply. Thanks for the info.....the problem ended up being a hard drive failure. So, in the end a drive replacement and reload from scratch. I was still able to copy all files from the old drive on a  drive dock....so all is well. Thanks again.

Re: Grub Rescue?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 11:51:39 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Sounds like you need Boot Repair. This will fix the GRUB bootloader for you by reinstalling it. More info here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

It is available as a stand-alone Live CD, but personally, I've never had much success with using it that way. Instead, I do this:

While keeping in mind that these changes won't be saved to a Live CD or USB, on an LL Live CD/Live USB, I add the Boot Repair PPA:

Code: [Select]
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair,

then I enter:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair,

and follow the prompts from there.

If you want to have this available all the time, you can create a Live USB with persistence, but I just installed a small LL system on a 16GB SD card and added to it boot-repair and another goodie, ClamAV, to check Windows PCs for possible virus issues...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

Grub Rescue?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 04:39:54 PM »

kjacobs

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8200 @ 2.66GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb
Hi folks......well my machine came to a screeching halt this afternoon. Went to check email and got an error about Whisker Menu and wanting to try again or remove. Well I sure didn't want to remove, so I cancelled.....and finally had no choice but to power off holding the power button as nothing was working.

Upon bootup.....I am now getting a command prompt for GRUB RESCUE>.......I have no idea what to do with my computer at this point or why this would have happened......

Ken
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:42:08 PM by Jerry »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section