You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Grub editor needed

Author (Read 11629 times)

Re: Grub editor needed
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 03:07:27 AM »

nomko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • My personal Linux site

• CPU: Intel Core i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4th. Gen. integr. GPU/Nvidia GeForce GTX860M
Grub Customizer is a GUI grub editor for Newbies and works in Ubuntu besides other distros using grub2 bootloader.

https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter2007/+archive/ubuntu/grub-customizer

I am just answering the title of the thread.

works for me !
Only click on "save" so it updates grub. ( I have not tried "install to hard drive.")
Although ment for "newbies", it can be a very good tool also for those who can't get their finger behind all those abracadabra language used in a Grub config file. A GUI used in these kind of situations can be very helpful and handy tool, and not only for "newbies". But on the other hand you will miss the fun of "fiddling and fooling" around in Linux ;)
My laptop:
MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything!

My Linux website

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 03:04:15 AM »

nomko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • My personal Linux site

Folks a reminder, please be courteous and respectful of one another. You may think one thing, but please choose your words carefully. Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

You're absolutely right! My apologies.
My laptop:
MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160

My Linux website

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2016, 02:17:10 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

• CPU: i7

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia m860
Grub Customizer is a GUI grub editor for Newbies and works in Ubuntu besides other distros using grub2 bootloader.

works for me !
Only click on "save" so it updates grub. ( I have not tried "install to hard drive.")
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 06:25:48 PM by technomancer »
Member www.eff.org
*Hardware hacks are my speciality.
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.
--Xerox field service engineer, printer repairs,network analyst.

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 12:52:56 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

• CPU: i7

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia m860
I have installed Grub Customizer and have had no issues with it on LinuxLite 2.8 non-uefi.

It is not in the repository for LL, but you can add the PPA-

Terminal Commands:
Code: [Select]
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

After running the commands, go to the menu and type "grub", it will populate in the results. Add to favorites if you use it often.
Now just be aware that deleting certain items may cause issues. However you can re-arrange without issues as long as you keep groups of the same entry together.
Member www.eff.org
*Hardware hacks are my speciality.
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.
--Xerox field service engineer, printer repairs,network analyst.

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 02:45:57 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Folks a reminder, please be courteous and respectful of one another. You may think one thing, but please choose your words carefully. Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 02:19:03 AM »

nomko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • My personal Linux site

Easy solution; dump Linux Lite and switch to Carolina Puppy. It uses grub4dos and is easier to modify.
Running away from the problem when it's getting to tough?
That's for crybabies if you ask me... (sorry)
My laptop:

My Linux website

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 03:23:26 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Easy solution; dump Linux Lite and switch to Carolina Puppy. It uses grub4dos and is easier to modify.

Bye!

Roger

Just as easy. Being a Puppy user myself on certain gear. Keep linux lite and use your Puppy CD to install grub4dos over grub2 on the mbr.
Lot's of ways to walk the path in Linux.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 01:00:51 AM »

nomko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • My personal Linux site

Quote from: rogeerh
I didn't mean to start a flame war.
No sweat, you didn't start a flame war. This was just an off-topic discussion.

Quote from: rogeerh
I'm an old (81) programmer (I miss DOS) and somewhat familiar with Linux but I'm used to grub legacy. I just wanted to rearrange the menu in grub; used to be easy, now grub2 sucks imho.
You're 81? RESPECT!!!

I miss DOS as well sometimes. I started with DOS 3.3 and ended up with DOS 6.22 before jumping to Win 3.11/95/98/2000/XP. Of all the Windows versions after W95 i liked W2000 the most for it's stability.

You want to re-arrange the Grub boot order?
Take a look here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/100232/how-do-i-change-the-grub-boot-order
http://askubuntu.com/questions/11552/how-can-i-rearrange-the-order-of-oses-in-the-boot-menu
http://askubuntu.com/questions/276249/changing-grub-boot-order

For more info:
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&ssui=on#q=rearrange%20bootmenu%20grub&safe=active&ssui=on

My laptop:

My Linux website

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 12:37:21 PM »

rogeerh

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: dual core

WOW!

I didn't mean to start a flame war.

I'm an old (81) programmer (I miss DOS) and somewhat familiar with Linux but I'm used to grub legacy.

I just wanted to rearrange the menu in grub; used to be easy, now grub2 sucks imho.

Roger

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 09:06:39 AM »

nomko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • My personal Linux site

I never claimed that was the case. It takes a bit of knowledge to be able to do this. And not all users may be able to do so. Your trying to enlighten the wrong person here. Keep in mind the target user base for LL. And stop filling things in with your personal views. "I can do this, thus everyone else can" is elitism crap that does not belong here.

It's not my personal view or opinion (read my signature  ;D ). Anyone who want's to use Linux should have at least some knowledge about how systems work and how Linux works. Just using Linux without any knowledge or understanding will only lead to disappointment, wrong usage, searching for solutions that doesn't work, etc.

To come back to your car comparison, before you are allowed to use a car, you first take lessons to learn the basic principles of driving a car and how to behave/act on a road. Your driving license is only a proof that you are capable of showing the basic understandings and principles of driving a car. To become an excellent driver is something you will learn after receiving your driving license. And that's with Linux also. Before using it, first read some articles about it to get familiar with it. And also to understand that with Linux broken does not always means broken ;)

But this discussion will not help the original topic starter, so let's return to my question and the extra question firenice03 asked in order to help the topic starter more properly leaving this discussion for what it is.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:09:29 AM by nomko »
My laptop:

My Linux website

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 08:57:30 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Not trying to stoke any fires, and this will relate to the OP..
Grub is a system file modifying any system file can have ill effects if not executed properly... Think of it similarly to the Registry in Windows, one can delete keys and modify, and sure enough you can corrupt the OS...
Roger know your own comfort level and the terminal...

I'm assuming your fairly new to LL/Computing by some of the phrases used (this is by no means a negative)...
I ask and along Nomko's questions why do you need to modify?

LL and its grub are designed for multi-boot environments... If you have Win10 and XP already installed, installing LL lastly grub should find your OS's and work without problem...

Now with that.. Is Win10 using UEFI? If so there will be modifications to the install...

Maybe a bit more clarification as to why/what troubles you're having...

And as rokytnji suggested, for an editor...

Oh and Welcome aboard  8)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:59:34 AM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 08:53:30 AM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4

LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 08:42:52 AM »

shaggytwodope

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Shaggy's Blog

• CPU: Intel i5 4440

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4600
Not been able to boot does not mean loss of data. Your data is still there, reachable with a live cd/dvd or bootable usb. Not booting means that there is something wrong in the boot procedure preventing the operating system to boot properly.

I never claimed that was the case. It takes a bit of knowledge to be able to do this. And not all users may be able to do so. Your trying to enlighten the wrong person here. Keep in mind the target user base for LL. And stop filling things in with your personal views. "I can do this, thus everyone else can" is elitism crap that does not belong here.
The Truth is out there.
Be sure to check the Manual out and always report Bugs or feature requests.

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 08:27:32 AM »

nomko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • My personal Linux site

Not been able to boot does not mean loss of data. Your data is still there, reachable with a live cd/dvd or bootable usb. Not booting means that there is something wrong in the boot procedure preventing the operating system to boot properly.

But i'm not interested in the discussion we're having, i'm more interested in the answers rogeerh comes up with on my questions in this post which is more relevant.

Too summarize them:
1) What do you want to edit exactly?
2) What command did you saw?
3) Were did you saw it (link)?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:30:22 AM by nomko »
My laptop:

My Linux website

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 07:34:19 AM »

shaggytwodope

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Shaggy's Blog

• CPU: Intel i5 4440

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4600

Because you can render a machine unable to boot its dangerous if someone is unable to repair can lead to data loss. Repeating the same warning is never a bad thing. Keep in mind LL user base target is new users.

Well....it's not dangerous. It only creates an inconvenient situation where the user is not able to boot it's system. Dangerous are some terminal command lines which can wipe your whole disc including important data/files. Dangerous is crossing a very busy street with your eyes shut.

Data loss while editing Grub? Never heard of that...
Bit offended your not reading what I typed. If a user is unable to boot = loss of data. You can freely google for instances of people unable to boot after editing grub. And naturally being forced to reinstall. There are means to get said data, but that ignores point #1 here... new users unaware of how to do so. Doing anything be it grub or your taxes without the proper knowledge can be a dangerous thing. One can never assume everyone knows what you know, thats terrible way to view things. "Elistism" and such are best avoided on LL. Further more.. dangerous is an apt word for this case, meaning: Being able or likely to do harm. It correctly discribes the possiblity of an issue. Not openingly stating it will be an issue.. rather just possible. Maybe you define the word differently mate?
The Truth is out there.
Be sure to check the Manual out and always report Bugs or feature requests.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section