You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Dell Inspiron 6400 Media Laptop 32bit Not shutting down

Author (Read 2628 times)

Re: Dell Inspiron 6400 Media Laptop 32bit Not shutting down
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 01:06:30 AM »

aus9

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 4 core i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200
Hi

as a local user open a terminal and report if the next command truly shuts down your PC

Code: [Select]
shutdown -h now
If it does....and ONLY if it does follow the next commands to create an executable and a desktop icon for your daughter to click and try out pls.

open a termianal as a local user for these commands

# create the executable.....use your file manager to check you have not already created a local bin folder under /home/yourname....the default is none
If its there skip the line to create that dir pls......I can write an if then command but lets keep it simple?
Code: [Select]
mkdir bin
echo '#!/bin/sh
shutdown -h now' > bin/now
chmod +x bin/now

Close the terminal

Open text editor (called leafpad) as local user  Menu -> Accessories  -> Text Editor

copy and paste the following into it
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Exec=now
Icon=system-log-out

Now click File and choose  save as
Click on Desktop to change pathway of file to desktop
name it "now.desktop" without the quotes pls.

close leafpad and click on now icon.....choose the executable button and computer should close based on your "assumed" reply that the first command worked

good luck

I am a weirdo but I deliberately chose "now" as that is not a normal command so won't confuse the system....fingers crossed

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 01:08:36 AM by aus9 »
Good Luck

Re: Dell Inspiron 6400 Media Laptop 32bit Not shutting down
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 09:37:02 PM »

paul1149

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Enjoying Linux
    • View Profile

• CPU: C2D

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia
I had the same problem here. Booted down to a blinking cursor in the top left of a black screen a few times. I finally booted up and then immediately booted down before opening any apps, and it's been ok since, though it's only been once that I shut it down. I'm on 64 bit, also an older Dell, with nVidia graphics.

Dell Inspiron 6400 Media Laptop 32bit Not shutting down
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 02:43:39 PM »

Jim The Tyreman

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Xeon 2.4GHz Quad

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GT610
Hi guys,

Anyone with any advice?

Just got an old Dell Free from my works I.T. guy for my daughter who is due to go into hospital at the weekend for quite a big operation. I've installed LL 3.0 and done all the updates and installed Kodi for her (The media buttons on the front of the laptop even control Kodi!!)

The only issue, doesn't shutdown properly? It goes through the motions and just hangs at a greyish screen and I need to press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds for it to power down.

Apart from the power issue, I'm VERY impressed with how LL has developed, it's been a good year or so since I've tried LL, I might just install it on my main PC!

Ant tips or hints would be most appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:35:46 AM by Jerry »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section