You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Computer wont restart properly

Author (Read 11505 times)

Re: Computer wont restart properly
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2023, 07:06:25 PM »

Brayden zero

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
I wasnt able to boot the older kernels but i tried a fresh install and it works fine, i was able to get all the files I need as well. Thank you for the help

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 01:30:06 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
Depending on how often you remove old kernels, you may have a choice of kernel versions - the most recent at the top.
Selecting an older kernel will attempt to boot the full system using that kernel.

Each available kernel should have a recovery mode option.
Selecting recovery mode should allow you to opt for various utilities to attempt freeing disk space, fixing packages, checking disks etc., which may be useful if you know what caused the problem and then will attempt to boot a minimal system using just basic services - so without advanced graphics etc.

In your situation, I'd attempt a full (non-recovery mode) boot with an older kernel, just in case your problem was triggered by a kernel upgrade.
clueless

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 06:06:46 PM »

Brayden zero

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
When booting, when at the grub screen can you choose advanced options and perhaps try the recovery mode option.[/quote]
Ok i was able to get to the advanced options and recovery mode, but am not sure what options to choose on the recovery menu. Also I misspoke earlier, I,m running LL 5.4
I was also able to got all the files I needed off my computer using a live boot.

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 07:05:32 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

I havent had any issues prior to this restart, and didnt upgrade my version os. I dont have dual boot, just LL 5.9.1

@Brayden zero
LL 5.9.1 - I'm assuming LL5.8?
The nouveau is typically a video driver of sorts. Perhaps installed or enabled something for nvida?

When booting, when at the grub screen can you choose advanced options and perhaps try the recovery mode option.
Else like @stevef mentions may want to try a timeshift restore if you have a recent copy.....
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 02:36:44 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

First off, if you don't already have copies, use the live boot to recover to a safe place all important data that you need from the installation that won't boot.

Once that's done, if you were using a system backup/recovery tool like Timeshift on the system you can attempt to roll it back to previous states to see if the problem resolves.  The method will depend on what backup/recovery schemes you have.

If that's not an option, you may need to try a fresh install.  If the fresh install boots ok, make a system backup before doing any updates.
clueless

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 01:10:28 AM »

Brayden zero

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
If no software has been changed to trigger the error then it could be a hardware problem.

I'd suggest going back to a live media boot to see if the system boots ok.

I downloaded a live boot of LL 6.0 on a USB and it starts up fine on my laptop, but the LL on my laptop still has the same issues. What should I do next?

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 10:18:16 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

If no software has been changed to trigger the error then it could be a hardware problem.

I'd suggest going back to a live media boot to see if the system boots ok.
clueless

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 02:12:38 AM »

Brayden zero

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
I havent had any issues prior to this restart, and didnt upgrade my version os. I dont have dual boot, just LL 5.9.1
Heres a proper image of the text

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 01:56:39 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@Brayden zero
You'll want to read the welcome message and properly post/embed images. Most won't want to download files from the internet.
Along with as @stevef has mentioned, is the issue recent or since install?
What version of LL, is it dual booted ...

We'll help get you sorted...
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 04:42:36 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Had you done anything immediately before which required the restart - for example run update/upgrade ?
clueless

Computer wont restart properly
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 12:17:52 AM »

Brayden zero

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
I restarted my Lenovo Thinkpad W520 and it brought up the normal options for interrupting startup etc. but whenever I select normal startup it loads for a while, shows a black screen with the below text, before resuming loading and repeating. I have very little knowledge about computers but from the searching I've done I can only find results for [IBUS] faults, not [engine!] faults like the ones displayed. Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this issue, I'm very new to Linux and am not sure what issue this fall under.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 12:26:50 AM by Brayden zero »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section