You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Chrome asks for password/keyring every time

Author (Read 16438 times)

Re: Chrome asks for password/keyring every time
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 06:34:19 PM »

supergamer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Phenom 565

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: 550 ti
I cannot comment on you not having issues with reinstalling things but this script takes the update to out of the question. It basically separates the startup of the browser from the the default chromium/google-chrome.desktop in the /usr/share/applications. So anytime you update chromium/google-chrome you would not have to readjust the launcher to what you did before to stop the gnome-keyring issue. I hope this fixes the issue. This also fixes the issue with bleachbit cleaning chromium/google-chrome by forcing it to use the default keyring and shutting down completely if you use that program.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:36:34 PM by supergamer »

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 06:25:04 PM »

CaperAsh

• Occasional Poster
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Thank you again! Since last entry I went into fstab to get my HD to open properly (system is on an SSD). It seems to have resolved many of the permissions issues which changing a few designations in Disks program hadn't resolved.

Whether this made a difference or not to what I tried earlier, I think what I did wrong first time around was to save the file as .txt and then when going into Properties couldn't select the 'make file executable' box.

Just ignorance on my part about saving the file without an extension.

I adjusted the text to just open Chrome (I prefer it because Chromium has difficulties playing certain types of flash content on sites I often visit, otherwise wouldn't bother) and it is great.

Thanks again.

(Now if I try to reinstall fingerprint stuff and have this problem again with Chrome, I should be okay. I don't need the fingerprint thing but since the computer has one I wanted to set it up. Seems better without it. One less thing to complexify/screw up!)

Resolved!

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 06:13:14 PM »

supergamer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I am uploading a simple script that should start either chromium or google chrome when ran. If you have both installed it will open both though so you might want to adjust the script. Save the file. right click on it and go to permissions and make sure the check to make executable is checked. Move the file to wherever you want and point the right click on your browser icon you normally use and go to properties and point the command to this script. You can check to make sure this script works by opening a terminal in the folder you have this saved and typing:
Code: [Select]
./Browser_StartThis is what the code looks like:
#!/bin/bash

google-chrome --password-store=basic %U

chromium-browser --password-store=basic %U

Just rename the file by taking the .txt extension off of it.

Hopefully this makes things easier if you want to try.

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 04:35:35 PM »

CaperAsh

• Occasional Poster
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Thank you. I disabled the fingerprint utilities and now no problems. But I will try this later. First time around unable to make executable file, which reminds me have been having problems with permissions in 2nd HD on the computer. It's only Day 2 after installation. Also, have poor skills with niggly areas like this. Thanks again.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 01:58:50 PM »

supergamer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Create a text file (For this script I would call it Chromium_Start) somewhere on the system, you can place this anywhere but putting it into the /usr/scripts/ folder requires sudo on thunar to either copy or create the script. Now copy this code

#!/bin/bash

and put it into the text file and save. Make sure you make the the file you created executable and copy/move the new script to where you want to save it. Now go to your icon on your desktop or taskbar and right click on it and select properties then select edit. You should be able to see the command where you can adjust it and it should be, for chromium, chromium-browser %U. Just hit the browse and point it to the new script you created. If you put it in the /usr/scripts/ and named it Chromium_Start then it should look like /usr/script/Chromium_Start on where the command is. My personal script is

#!/bin/bash

bleachbit -c chromium.*

firejail chromium-browser --incognito --password-store=basic %U

I prefer to seperate the commands, you could use && or ; but this seems to work fine.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:51:54 PM by supergamer »

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 07:46:35 AM »

CaperAsh

• Occasional Poster
  • Retired
    • View Profile
To Supergamer: could you spell out a little bit more clearly what to do, i.e. the steps to implement your suggestion. I thought at first it was a password to input when prompted but now not so sure.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 07:44:43 AM »

CaperAsh

• Occasional Poster
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Thank you. I just got a new (and last new one for many years hopefully) laptop and installed LL on it. Yesterday I installed a fingerprint recognition capability and I think this is occasionally messing up the login scripts because one time after a reboot it didn't recognise the swipe but went ahead and logged in, I didn't input a password manually which usually is prompted for if the fingerprint swipe doesn't pass muster. Then, when I opened Chrome, I got the keyring prompt. Before that, it never happened.

And cannot be sure, but I think this happened with the older laptop too (both are Thinkpads).

But if/when this happens again on the new machine, I'll be sure to try this suggestion.

Thank you very much.

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 02:40:14 AM »

supergamer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Just for all who still have this issue, adjust the launcher/icon with:

--password-store=basic

This makes chrome of chromium use the default basic key shipped with it. The other trick was to uninstall gnome-keyring but it will keep getting reinstalled by updates so this is the best solution I have found. It would be better to have a startup script made and point the launcher/icon to it so updates to chrome or chromium will not change how it is launched. Here is a sample chromium script.

#!/bin/bash

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 03:48:11 AM by supergamer »

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 07:53:25 PM »

CaperAsh

• Occasional Poster
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Well, that worked too well. Now all passwords are forgotten and any site I go to that used to have it stored I have to reset the password unless I can guess. That's what I meant about 'not understanding keyring'. I did google it but nowhere could read anything intelligible. I don't understand why this was happening only with this new installation though and no other.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Follow-up question: is there any way just to get rid if this Keyring business and just have a normal setup, i.e. you use a password or fingerprint to open up the session and then after that no more prompting unless it's a system-related access.

From the link: I assumed this would remove.. If I recall I hit continue 2x and haven't been prompted... But I may have removed...

thera, make sure Chrome is closed first. Then open a terminal and do:

rm ~/.local/share/keyrings/*
Now open Chrome, if it asks you for your password, do not enter one choose Continue each time and ignore any warnings.
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 12:18:55 PM »

CaperAsh

• Occasional Poster
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Follow-up question: is there any way just to get rid if this Keyring business and just have a normal setup, i.e. you use a password or fingerprint to open up the session and then after that no more prompting unless it's a system-related access.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 12:17:16 PM »

CaperAsh

• Occasional Poster
  • Retired
    • View Profile
THanks.

I don't understand what the keyring business is and don't like the idea of leaving things password free when I don't understand. I did install seahorse but there are dozens of entries under logins (some going back to my own sites from years ago and haven't visited for a very long time) and don't understand what is going on, so don't want to touch it (general principle).

I'll try the fix for the suspend later - the link with video. The first one with general instructions for settings doesn't help. I have the laptop set to suspend (never hibernate). Sometimes it seems to work, most of the time either it reboots when I hit a key or I have to hold the power button down to turn it off then turn it on again because otherwise nothing happens, it just stays asleep.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 07:49:41 AM »

penglezos

• Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-5200U

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Leaving the text field empty should solve the 'issue'.
Completely left Windows for Linux in July 2016.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 07:47:00 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

Chrome asks for password/keyring every time
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 07:17:14 AM »

CaperAsh

• Occasional Poster
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Since installing LL on this laptop, every time I open up Chrome after starting up, have to enter password. And what is a 'keyring' anyway?

Am not sure if this is related, but most times I close lid to suspend, either I can't wake it up again and have to use power button to turn off and then on again after which a reboot, or it does respond to a key to wake up, but then goes throug the reboot routine. And the booting up is by far the slowest have ever encountered with Linux. LL used to always boot very fast, but not this time.

(Am using Lenovo T530)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:23:19 PM by Jerry »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section