You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Attempting to start Clamtk upon boot.

Author (Read 6883 times)

Re: Attempting to start Clamtk upon boot.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 11:32:22 PM »

order99

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
  Nice article-and it also linked to this:

https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus-for-linux.php

And I think that might be what i'm looking for...i'll play around with it for a week, see if the Active Scan works on Linux as well, see if I notice any major slowdowns...

I might not need it anyway (as most Users seem to believe) but it might be worth it if I ever need to run one of the Windows emulators (not a gamer and love LibreOffice, so no need for it yet). And again, thanks for all the help!  :)

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 07:13:46 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 03:55:23 PM »

order99

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
   Ahhhh...so that's how it's done! I was thinking I had to add tags..... :-[

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 03:43:38 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

You're welcome :) Firefox has containers too https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/containers
Container tabs are like normal tabs however the sites you visit will have access to a separate slice of the browser's storage. This means your site preferences, logged in sessions, and advertising tracking data won't carry over to the new container. Likewise, any browsing you do within the new container will not affect your logged in sessions, or tracking data of your other containers.
   Well, I reckon that's solved, then...Thanks again!

You're welcome! Mark the thread as solved: In your first post, click on Modify, and in the title, click on the drop-down menu and select [SOLVED]

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 02:03:32 PM »

order99

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

You're welcome :) Firefox has containers too https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/containers
Container tabs are like normal tabs however the sites you visit will have access to a separate slice of the browser's storage. This means your site preferences, logged in sessions, and advertising tracking data won't carry over to the new container. Likewise, any browsing you do within the new container will not affect your logged in sessions, or tracking data of your other containers.

Well, I reckon that's solved, then...Thanks again!

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 05:52:12 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Moltke-

I never thought of trying it that way...that might be exactly what I need!

So I take it that there isn't  current active antivirals for Linux that run in the background while checking incoming data? I can understand that it might seem a waste of processing from  Linux point of view-but hey, I had to ask... :-[

I have to admit that the latest Firefox (with its more advanced security, history/cookie options, Ghostery etc)  do seem to be doing a decent job so far-but Linux in general is going o be n expanding option as the 'Big Two' become more and more Draconian about 'renting' their latest OS to the masses, so I want to be ready when the Linux OS distros  become fair game...

Also, Thanks!  ;D

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 05:12:10 PM »

order99

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
 Moltke-

I never thought of trying it that way...that might be exactly what I need!

So I take it that there isn't  current active antivirals for Linux that run in the background while checking incoming data? I can understand that it might seem a waste of processing from  Linux point of view-but hey, I had to ask... :-[

I have to admit that the latest Firefox (with its more advanced security, history/cookie options, Ghostery etc)  do seem to be doing a decent job so far-but Linux in general is going o be n expanding option as the 'Big Two' become more and more Draconian about 'renting' their latest OS to the masses, so I want to be ready when the Linux OS distros  become fair game...

Also, Thanks!  ;D

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 10:44:11 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Okay, i'll admit to being brand new to Linux Lite...but I downloaded 6.5 a few days ago to replace the OS in my HP All-in-one (terabyte drive, 4G Ram, plenty of room for this distro and then some) and so far it's been smooth sailing.

However, I really don't like surfing the Internet without protection-and while Firefox with full 'don't track me' commands, 'dump cookies after every session' commands and Ghostery add-on affords some protection, i'd really like a decent anti-virus. I downloaded Bleachbit for a decent utility and i've got Clamtk as well-but both of them seem to be manually-triggered and therefore either unable to continuously scan while surfing.

Is there a way to set either to both start upon Boot and to set to continuous scan? The Online Manual has a vague reference to the Start Menu but not enough detail for my need on this. I'm sure that I have the resources to spare. Failing that, does Linux have an 'Active Scan' anti-virus to download?  Note: I am inexperienced with Command line but not terrified of it, so if you have a Command-line solution I can Cut-n-Paste with the best of them... :022:

Any help and advice would be appreciated-I understand that there is a certain 'security in obscurity' with Linux, but i'm not relying on it. Other than this tiny bit of paranoid anxiety i'm having a blast with this system so far...i'm a casual user who has stuck with GUI-heavy Linux OS so due to an honest lack of time-my first OS was Fedora Core 1 (I used one YUM command to load APT, one APT command to load Synaptic and GUI'ed  my way from there  :007: ) I have run Clam weekly on every Linux OS i've ever used and been very lucky so far-but i'd rather be impregnable, yes?

Love the website BTW.

I've been using Linux like for 10 years or so, never used an antivirus, and so far never had experience issues regarding virus, malware or any of that. You could try firetools, which runs programs isolated from the OS https://firejailtools.wordpress.com/

Attempting to start Clamtk upon boot.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 05:53:54 PM »

order99

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
 Okay, i'll admit to being brand new to Linux Lite...but I downloaded 6.5 a few days ago to replace the OS in my HP All-in-one (terabyte drive, 4G Ram, plenty of room for this distro and then some) and so far it's been smooth sailing.

However, I really don't like surfing the Internet without protection-and while Firefox with full 'don't track me' commands, 'dump cookies after every session' commands and Ghostery add-on affords some protection, i'd really like a decent anti-virus. I downloaded Bleachbit for a decent utility and i've got Clamtk as well-but both of them seem to be manually-triggered and therefore either unable to continuously scan while surfing.

Is there a way to set either to both start upon Boot and to set to continuous scan? The Online Manual has a vague reference to the Start Menu but not enough detail for my need on this. I'm sure that I have the resources to spare. Failing that, does Linux have an 'Active Scan' anti-virus to download?  Note: I am inexperienced with Command line but not terrified of it, so if you have a Command-line solution I can Cut-n-Paste with the best of them... :022:

Any help and advice would be appreciated-I understand that there is a certain 'security in obscurity' with Linux, but i'm not relying on it. Other than this tiny bit of paranoid anxiety i'm having a blast with this system so far...i'm a casual user who has stuck with GUI-heavy Linux OS so due to an honest lack of time-my first OS was Fedora Core 1 (I used one YUM command to load APT, one APT command to load Synaptic and GUI'ed  my way from there  :007: ) I have run Clam weekly on every Linux OS i've ever used and been very lucky so far-but i'd rather be impregnable, yes?

Love the website BTW.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 03:53:50 PM by order99 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section