You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

After shutdown, screen stays on with non-spinning wheel but no noise inside.

Author (Read 7755 times)

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Do you have firefox set to remember history and do you browse a lot in your sessions? Some older RAM limited systems (4gig and under) coupled to some GPUs are slowed when cycling through certain firefox connections history at shutdown. Some are too slow and hang and never reach poweroff. Look at the log in /var/log/syslog to see what's going on at shutdown. Multiple screen flashes followed by a long hang during shutdown are your first clue to this issue. Try using: sudo systemctl poweroff from your terminal to shut down. You can also try disconnecting from the Internet before shutting down and not auto-connecting to the Internet during boot and setting firefox to never remember history.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

1a2ows

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
minesheep
Thank you for your input!. So I learned that the processors are silent and HDD spins to write and read data.

minesheep

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 4Gb

Inside of the laptop doesn't make any tiny ticking noise like when it's on, and the wheel on screen is not spinning. So I assume the processor is off and press and hold down the power button. Then the laptop is completely turned off.
Processors are fully silent (except the cooling fan) it is your hard drive that is not spinning. Also HDDs produce very small ticking noise when writing/reading data under normal use. With hdd already powered off It should be safe to force shutdown until you get better solution.

1a2ows

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thank you for the answer!
unfortunately, adding lines to blacklist did not work.
I don't believe I'm using UEFI or Legacy version. but I can double-check if you guide me how to see.

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Try - https://askubuntu.com/questions/524894/boot-and-shutdown-issues-on-aspire-e-11-model-e3-111-c0wa

Are you using our UEFI version or legacy version of the ISO?

After shutdown, screen stays on with non-spinning wheel but no noise inside.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 10:47:03 PM »

1a2ows

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello, Everyone.

I wanted to learn Linux and coding. so I got a used laptop from Craigslist and installed Linux lite to it, which had Window OS. Everything worked fine except turning it off completely.

When shut down the laptop, the screen stays on forever with non-spinning wheel on it.
Inside of the laptop doesn't make any tiny ticking noise like when it's on, and the wheel on screen is not spinning. So I assume the processor is off and press and hold down the power button. Then the laptop is completely turned off.

The laptop does show an error message when starting.
"error: no suitable video mode found.
error: no video mode activated.
error: no video mode activated."

For last 2 months of exploring Linux and learning Python on this laptop, I have not had any problem except turning it off completely.

Would anyone know how to fix this problem?

Acer ES1-111 Series
-Computer-
Processor      : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU  N2840  @ 2.16GHz
Memory      : 1924MB (1240MB used)
Machine Type      : Notebook
Operating System      : Linux Lite 4.4
Date/Time      : Mon 07 Oct 2019 10:31:18 PM EDT
-Display-
Resolution      : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer      : Mesa DRI Intel(R) Bay Trail
X11 Vendor      : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter      : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
-Input Devices-
 Power Button
 Sleep Button
 Lid Switch
 Power Button
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 Video Bus
 SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
 Acer WMI hotkeys
 HDA Intel PCH Headphone
 HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm:3
 HD WebCam: HD WebCam
-Printers (CUPS)-
Canon_MX490_series
-SCSI Disks-
ATA WDC WD2500LPVX-2

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section