You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

3.8 32-bit on early 2006 MacBook Pro: Boot fails one time out of two

Author (Read 6421 times)

Re: 3.8 32-bit on early 2006 MacBook Pro: Boot fails one time out of two
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 04:25:51 AM »

UglyStuff

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel CoreDuo @ 1.83GHz (Early 2006 Apple MacBook Pro)

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon X1600 (not sure)
For the record, I am now down to one in three times: My MacBook Pro will either not boot from Lite at all, like, I have a black screen that'll stay on forever (I call it the "Black screen of Nothingness", or BSON*) until I force-shutdown the machine, or it will show a 10-second timeout grub then reboot, or finally will display a 30-second timeout grub and boot to my satisfaction.

I would really like to know what's wrong. System is fully up-to-date, running the latest 4.40.x kernel, with all the bells and whistles.

* Pronounced "Bison"... :-)

3.8 32-bit on early 2006 MacBook Pro: Boot fails one time out of two
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 07:21:37 AM »

UglyStuff

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel CoreDuo @ 1.83GHz (Early 2006 Apple MacBook Pro)

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon X1600 (not sure)
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but not entirely a Linux newbie. I need some advice and/or guidance on this matter, though: I recently decided to insuflate a little life in my aging and beloved early 2006 MacBook Pro that was forever stuck with Snow Leopard due to its 32-bit-only CoreDuo CPU, and tested several Linux distros before settling down (I think) with Linux Lite.

Of course, i can't install the latest release, so I'm running 3.8 (32-bit...), fully up-to-date, and install was relatively painless.

I may have a hardware compatibility issue, though, whether with the graphics card or TPM module (I thought my MBP didn't have one, but I saw a few error messages about it in verbose reboot), that are causing startup to fail every other time.

In other words, I shutdown Lite, and it doesn't matter if I'm restarting or doing a cold boot, one time out of two, like clockwork, boot will stop at the "feather screen", and the Mac will restart. I'll see the rEFInd screen again, then grub, and only then will Lite actually boot.

It's not random, it happens precisely one time out of two, so I'm a bit at a loss as to why, and how I can correct that.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section