You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

System Sound

Author (Read 15228 times)

Re: System Sound
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 01:16:21 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

• Kernel: 5.x
I was quite specific about what file format and specs to use. If you're going to use someone else's instructions, then you'll have to ask that guy for his help. Cheers :)

That's too harsh!

[...]  So I would like to change logout sound to something [...]
You asked too much from Jerry. He already does much more than we'll ever grasp. ;)
What you need to do:
Learn audio editing. There is a lot of stuff to learn. Jerry pointed you to the right direction but it looks you never did sound editing so that is why it sounded weird to you.
The program you need to do various tasks, such as creating system sounds out of various tracks, is called Audacity.
Search and study articles about audio editing. There is a lot of stuff to learn, so go ahead and start learning and practicing with Audacity. ;)
Good luck!

"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 07:29:30 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

I was quite specific about what file format and specs to use. If you're going to use someone else's instructions, then you'll have to ask that guy for his help. Cheers :)

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 07:10:05 PM »

shamu

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: E5800

• MEMORY: 8Gb

Hi Jerry, thanks for your reply. (I wonder if you ever sleep???)
I'm sorry about having 2 different questions, I deleted 1, I hope it's OK.
My problem with Lite-default sound is that I can hardly hear them, even with playback totally maxed out.
I changed login sound in startup to: canberra-gtk-play -f /usr/share/sounds/Smooth/stereo/desktop-login.oga     using an old Askubuntu post, given by Toz, no idea what "-f" stands for, but it works great, but so loud with the maxed out playback, cannot sync the 2 different sound system I guess. So I would like to change logout sound to something from Smooth but don't know how to do it. Can I use Toz's instructions without breaking my new system? I also like Fresh and Clean, but it's .oga. Well, so is Smooth, and it still works, there are so many confusing things here and I'm not an expert.
Can you please help me, give me an advise? Also, logout sound works only with "logout" not with shutdown or restart. Is it normal?
Thanks very much.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 12:35:23 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

You have a whole bunch of questions here, each of which need to be broken up into their own separate Support Sections.
I will answer the Sound question, and once you have properly separated your thread into single questions, members will look at those.

Login sound - /usr/share/sounds/Lite/stereo/startupsound.wav
Logout sound - /usr/share/sounds/Lite/stereo/desktop-logout.wav

You must use .wav files and keep the tunes small and the new filenames and specs must be exactly the same.

eg. file specs:

Code: [Select]
startupsound.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, stereo 44100 Hz
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:53:56 AM by Jerry »

System Sound
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 08:22:11 PM »

shamu

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: E5800

• MEMORY: 8Gb

Hi!
I installed Linux Lite 4 days ago, and we both (my old HP desktop and me) fell in love with it!
After trying Mint, MX, Xubuntu, LL feels like driving a custom built Mercedes Convertible!
I like XFCE, being an artist, to me look and feel means just as much as performance, so I'm in the process of polishing up my new distro. I would like to change log in and log out sound, I have tried to play with it, but it didn't work,(it seems that after reboot start up goes back to default). Is there any way to do that?
I would appreciate your help very much.
Developers, Jerry and friends, you have done a wonderful job, thank you!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:34:10 PM by shamu »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section