You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Intel onboard audio listed in hardware, but always dummy in volume control area.

Author (Read 5321 times)

TonyK

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium 4 cpu 3.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: lol
Well, I was hoping to get sound working. In all distos i have tried, ( about 12 ), each one will not have any device listed in sound settings/ configuration tab. I have seen a multitude of issues involving similar sound issues involving the dummie output device issue, and tried any an all things relating to fix it, to no avail. I finally found my issue. This particular pc is a gateway 507gr, and there is a security setting in the security tab in BIOS that reads expansion Card Text. I can not remember atm which setting it needs to let linux configure the sound, but it is the culprit of 2 weeks worth of my trouble shooting. Only thing is I can save a setting , boot in and have great sound. Trun off system. turn back on and its gone again...im thinking my BIOS is messed up.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:25:38 PM by TonyK »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
@TonyK ,

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but have you considered looking at what the Help Manual has to say about sound?
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/hardware.html#sound

By the way, it appears you're using Linux Lite 3.8, so the Help Manual for that series is located within that installation.  It should be located at Menu, Favorites, Help Manual.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 09:36:07 AM by torreydale »
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

TonyK

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium 4 cpu 3.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: lol
Before I begin, I want to add a little about me. Been trying to get into linux OS's for just about a week and half now, 2 different older machines, and have to say, almost everything is fine with each install, ubunu/lubuntu/LM Zorin, puppy/peppermint...just 2 area of concern to my keeping me from 100% commitment. The sound and GPU stuff. Im 52, have an A+ Cert which don't mean much anymore, too familiar with Windows...but hands down the responsiveness to just moving around the desktop and even surfing and video watching, (w/o a dedicated gpu and no sound), on those older systems tells me this is where I need to move. I am 100% noob to this so I may ask dumb questions but really want to understand how to fix these systems up myself, later on. for instance , I have seen where the ALC880 drivers for sound are fixed up for several different combinations of builds, yet, I have no clue which one to try an install. I do not know how to find what DKP version, code name, or series, or even what build means. and using the terminal is 100% alien tome atm.SO this all being said, I will gratefully accept help, learn it, and do my best to pass it along and solve others issues. And promote Open Source transitions with family and others along the way! :)
 Ok my current issue to solve. No Sound from back jacks or even front HS jacks and GPU not being fully used. I am not sure what to post or even use to post next.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:12:39 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section