Linux Lite 8.2 RC1 Released - Click here to read


Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Earphone not detected!!
#1

System Specs
Operating System – Linux LiteLinux Lite 7.0
CPU / ProcessorIntel Core i7-3520M
Memory (RAM)8 GB
StoragemSATA SSD
Graphics (GPU)Intel 4000
Network deviceCentrino N6205
Good morning,
I am now trying to configure Linux Lite 7.0 (I tried 8.0, but I could not find a way to use Capital lock indicator or a similar function. Then, I tried to install 7.8 but the bootable USB made with Rufus did not boot...So, I tried 7.0. and it booted!)  I used to use 5.8, but I like 7.0 much better. Thank you!!

Now I have almost finished configuring it to my liking including Mozc and caps-lock indication (with xfce-genmon-plugin), but now I notice when I plug in my earphone, there is no sound coming out from my earphone.. The sound is coming out from the speaker as if the earphone was not plugged in. So, I checked Lite Sounds - Audio Settings, but it seems I don't see earphone anywhere.

I have a dual boot with Windows 7, and with Windows 7, the same earphone works without any problem...
(If I remember well, it seems the earphone did not work under 8.0 either, and I had no problem with 5.8.)

By the way, I am on Thinkpad X230. Is there anyone who has had the same kind of issue with this model?

Could someone give me advice so that I can use my earphone?

Thank you and best regards
Reply
#2

Quote:So, I checked Lite Sounds - Audio Settings, but it seems I don't see earphone anywhere.

Click on the speaker icon (usually on Panel right hand near the date/time).
Click 'Audio mixer...' to open Volume Control Window.

Ensure 'Show:' is set to 'All Output Devices'
Click the pull down against 'Port:'

What choices are offered here ?

stevef
clueless
Reply
#3

(Yesterday, 08:28 AM)stevef Wrote:  
Quote:So, I checked Lite Sounds - Audio Settings, but it seems I don't see earphone anywhere.

Click on the speaker icon (usually on Panel right hand near the date/time).
Click 'Audio mixer...' to open Volume Control Window.

Ensure 'Show:' is set to 'All Output Devices'
Click the pull down against 'Port:'

What choices are offered here ?

Thank you so much.

I just did what you told me.

When I click on the arrow on the right of Port showing Speakers.
There is a dropdown,which says "Speakers" and "Headphones (unplugged)", whereas I just plugged my headphone (earphone).So, my headphone (earphone) is notrecognized.. What can I do?
Reply
#4

Quote:What can I do?
Set 'Port:' to 'Headphones (unplugged)', then close the window.

With earphones connected, play an audio file.

Are the system speakers silent ?
Taking care with the volume, check for sound from the earphone.

stevef
clueless
Reply
#5

(Yesterday, 12:29 PM)stevef Wrote:  Set 'Port:' to 'Headphones (unplugged)', then close the window.

With earphones connected, play an audio file.

Are the system speakers silent ?
Taking care with the volume, check for sound from the earphone.

Thank you. 
I set Port to "Headphone (unplugged)". Then, I plugged my earphone and then my earphone started working!! (with the speakers silent)

But when I unplugmy earphone, there is no sound in the speakers. To hear the sounds from the speakers, I haveto go back and set Port to "Speakers"... Normally, it should be automatic, right?

Anyway, it is now usable with my earphone. Thank you!!
Reply
#6

Quote:Normally, it should be automatic, right?
Yes.  This is an imperfect three click workaround to allow you to use your earphone.
There are so many variables that meaningful remote investigation is difficult.

If anyone who reads this has Thinkpad X230 hardware, they may be able to provide better help.

Quote:Thank you!!
You're welcome.

stevef
clueless
Reply
#7

(Yesterday, 12:29 PM)stevef Wrote:  Set 'Port:' to 'Headphones (unplugged)', then close the window.

With earphones connected, play an audio file.

Are the system speakers silent ?
Taking care with the volume, check for sound from the earphone.
Thank you! 
i did what you tell me.
The system speakers are silent, but isn't that normal? Because the earphone is connected, the sounds are going to the earphone, right? Anyway, after checking that the speakers are silent, I unplugged the ear phone, then, the speakers are still silent, whereas the sounds should be coming out of the speakers?

(Yesterday, 01:25 PM)stevef Wrote:  Yes.  This is an imperfect three click workaround to allow you to use your earphone.
There are so many variables that meaningful remote investigation is difficult.

If anyone who reads this has Thinkpad X230 hardware, they may be able to provide better help.
I understand there are hundreds of different hardware. So, it is not easy to develop software which works on all of them. I hope someone who has an X230and will read this and find a solution. 
By the way, I have a Thinkpad T430s, which has practically the same hardware.My T430s has still Linux Lite 5.8 in one of the partitions. So, I tested on it. The sound switching between the speakers and the earphone is automatic.
So, maybe a future update might solve the problem, too.
Thanks and best regards
Reply
#8

The Thinkpad T430s on Lite 5.8 is working as expected.  With nothing plugged into the headphone socket, the speakers are the audio output device.  When using the headphone socket, the X230 should divert sound to the headphones and silence the speakers.  When the headphones are removed, it should revert to sound via the speakers.

As the Thinkpad x230 on Lite 7.0 isn't detecting the physical presence (or absence) of the headphones this automatic switching can't work.  The pull down selection allows manually switching the sound between the speakers or headphone socket as a workaround.

Can you confirm you are able to switch between outputs on the X230 ?
Bear in mind that there is a possibility that not all application will follow the workaround.
The Thinkpad x230 dates back to 2012.  It may be optimistic to hope that future software updates will address the problem.

Out of interest, can you open a terminal on the X230 by pressing Ctrl, Alt and T together.
Enter this command to display some basic information about your audio set up.

Code:
inxi -x --audio

and paste the results back.

stevef
clueless
Reply
#9

(Yesterday, 04:10 PM)stevef Wrote:  Out of interest, can you open a terminal on the X230 by pressing Ctrl, Alt and T together.
Enter this command to display some basic information about your audio set up.

Code:
inxi -x --audio

and paste the results back.

Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k6.8.0-3

(Yesterday, 04:10 PM)stevef Wrote:  Can you confirm you are able to switch between outputs on the X230 ?
Bear in mind that there is a possibility that not all application will follow the workaround.
The Thinkpad x230 dates back to 2012.  It may be optimistic to hope that future software updates will address the problem.
Thanks. I posted the output above.

As for manual switching of audio, I tested for the moment mp4 playback (with vlc player) and youtube, but I can say manual switching works.
For the Thinkpads, I bought them in used condition in 2018 or 2019, but with a new HDD and a new SSD (mSata) at time of purchase, they still work very well and are sufficient for my daily use.
Best regards
Reply
#10

The audio information output provided looks like it might be truncated.
Gemin6 Wrote:Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k6.8.0-3

Are you sure you copied and pasted the complete output from the command ?

stevef
clueless
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: Gemini6, 2 Guest(s)