You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Ubu rescue disk quirk

Author (Read 8251 times)

Re: Ubu rescue disk quirk
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 12:00:29 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
It's more easy

Just a personal opinion. It is more easy to run Linux on a thumb drive now a days. Than running a dual booter.

When dual boot screws up. It kills the whole unit sometimes. When thumb drive screws up . Just the thumb drive is affected.

I used to multiboot 7 or 8 linux distros on a test box with Windows using Grub Legacy, Grub4dos, and others.

Now a days. I don't even bother with dual boot on internal drives any more. USB drives are cheaper now. Than in the past.

Hell, I even ran linux off of a 128MB flash drive on a Windows 7 laptop. Kept the save files on the Windows drive on NTFS partitions. Used them when I needed them booting the flash drive.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
This is an old post, and concerns Windows 10 home build only. An Ubu live disk can fix just about anything to do with booting these days, and Windows 10 pro has all other neccessary tools on board once at the prompt. I was writing in defense of new dual booters who fell back on ordinary rescue tools and failed to solve their problem and were left only with the option of hiring somebody or paying for after market software to fix Windows 10 home.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 09:54:12 AM »

lobster

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 2.6 Ghz, Intel

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: 33 MGHz
It's more easy to download Macrium Reflect and burn a Rescue disk, thereafter boot with that disk and use the rescue option, rewriting the mbr., restart and you get to Windows, without Grub. Afterwards you can use Rescatux to recover a possible grub boot loader that included a dual boot set you did before .

good luck

Ubu rescue disk quirk
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 12:39:21 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
This is not a bug, just a brief mention of a recent test with a dual boot (Windows 10, LL) machine. The Ubu rescue disk does not pick up the LL description entry in grub correctly. Had to enter it manually after I purposely crashed Windows 10 into BSOD by interrupting updates with a hard shutdown in order to make it necessary to reinstall Windows boot to MBR to get out of recovery mode. Don't recommend Ubu for recovery for LL lost boot on dual boot Windows 10. Also LL live disk method recovers LL boot but only reverts to BSOD boot for Windows 10. Supergrub 2 (Rescatux) recovered LL boot correctly but also sent Windows back to BSOD (pointed to stalled recovery again.) Made me chuckle at myself a little at that point, realizing immediately both had actually recovered the grub menu. In dual boot certain Windows BSOD situations, those that require restoring Windows MBR, even though grub still remains there, most users will have to enter grub entries for LL manually from the grub menu, or a terminal if they want their Windows boot to remain unchanged. Rescue disks will only muck things up. It is easier for new users to keep a copy of the LL grub config file to refer to. I have often thought that a minimal fat32 partition could be setup at installation to store grub text entries for later use by inexperienced users with dual boot situations. Even though I can edit grub from Windows 10 if necessary new users of course would not be able to. I don't think the most commonly used rescue disks are good for new users dual booting with Windows 10 when BSOD situations occur with Windows because their failure will generally cause the users to purchase unnecessary Windows repair tools in order to fix their systems. I don't think we should recommend methods that encourage more income for MS. Also since Windows 10, most of the advice about mounted partitions and flags is bunk and changing them with NTFS tools from Linux will not pull Windows 10 out of BSOD recovery mode boot, just reproduce it infinitely. BSOD mode is a post grub menu, switched MBR mode.  All that is needed is a Windows 7,8, or 10 install disk to reinstall the MBR which it finds immediately, not more MS purchases, but of course that ruins the LL grub boot menu entry because Windows does not recognize ext4 partitions though it does recognize the grub menu already there in its MBR. Easiest to keep a copy of LL's grub menu entry. Also root continues to be a nuisance in Ubu recovery instances, and the no passwd root terminal does not work anymore. There is a certain insane paranoia about personal (in the room) security seizing developers these days for no good reason. Makes sense for some countries I guess, but it is an absolutely false and trivial suggestion that taking away these normal nix repair tools is an improvement to OS security. Nothing is better than encryption period. Everything else is a waste of time, and becoming a nuisance for IT people, and one that costs ordinary users more money. Desktop Linux should get off the stupid in the room security bandwagon altogether, and just advise encryption for security. What can the inexperienced user do with Ubu, but create a root user and password in advance, and of course that scares away most users because of the error messages when doing so. LL should get on its own bandwagon and eliminate this issue in its distro. It is simply NOT a security issue for Desktop Linux.

TC     
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section