You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Is bluetooth safe

Author (Read 14011 times)

Re: Is bluetooth safe
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 10:31:10 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
What does "chain some proxies open firefox through them in your terminal" mean?
I have firefox.

Info about proxychains - https://www.howtoinstall.co/en/ubuntu/xenial/proxychains

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install proxychains
Edit conf file -

where it says add proxy, below this line add in your proxies, by Type - Host - Port

Uncomment - defaults set to TOR, to not use TOR.

comment in (remove #) - dynamic_chain, so it rotates through your proxy list and skips any unresponsive ones.

comment in - random_chain , so each restart is begins different order.

comment in - chain_len= , and set to the number of proxies you want in your chain, for it to use.

How to set up Firefox to use proxies - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/connection-settings-firefox

Open terminal type

proxychains firefox
or whatever else software you want to use the proxychain with instead of firefox, such as for pen testing the system you do own :P

Hope it helps members to improve/increase their privacy.

Safety -
The same as with TOR, do not enter credentials online (l:p - logins /passwords) whilst using the proxies, don't do any shopping or use any accounts such as forums. Be sure of this, and always check your connection is as you expect after using to be certain you didn't make an error if distracted.

For the good privacy you must have at least one of Level 1 proxy.
Level 2 proxy it can be detected as a proxy and blocked by end sites if they block proxy.
Level 1 sometimes, but rare if it is true Level 1 AKA Elite Proxy.
Always test your proxies well, make your preferred method.

For best privacy you must have at least 1 of Level 1 proxy in Russian Federation or China territory as they will not cooperate with your LEO's. (like those in their jurisdiction must, as must VPN's).

There will be other ways to make proxy chains, I am unsure on Linux only this way I have seen so far.

You can add an extra level of anonymity to this such as if you only want proxies that will cooperate with your LEO's rofl, then you need to go in the back of a friends car, or drive and park, then "use some free wifi you find", (AKA wardriving) as the first connection to the proxies, for more serious level privacy events/leaks.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 05:47:25 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 10:11:52 AM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
just to add...
prior to above I had enquired also on Bestvpn and Douglas sent the following which may be of interest:
"In theory, yes. Using a VPN on your phone will protect your Bluetooth connection. It is also worth noting that Bluetooth has a very limited range, so 8s primarily a liability in public spaces rather than at home."

Bluetooth can be hacked over 1 mile away - https://www.sans.edu/cyber-research/security-laboratory/article/bluetooth

VPN is good for bypassing ISP blocks on tv websites or torrent websites, for the lazy moments, we all can have such moments lol.
For the lazy moments you dont need VPN paid for, only free VPN, the tv shows on sites isp blocked with no legal foundation or court requests, just blocked coz they want you to buy something off them, the same tv shows.

For privacy just chain some proxies open firefox through them in your terminal.

Thanks, I read that Sans article - I can't say I understood it all but I got the gist of it. Looks like a credible source.

What does "chain some proxies open firefox through them in your terminal" mean?
I have firefox.
SN.  I hope my reply has been useful - click Thank on the left.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 12:26:40 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

just to add...
prior to above I had enquired also on Bestvpn and Douglas sent the following which may be of interest:
"In theory, yes. Using a VPN on your phone will protect your Bluetooth connection. It is also worth noting that Bluetooth has a very limited range, so 8s primarily a liability in public spaces rather than at home."

Bluetooth can be hacked over 1 mile away - https://www.sans.edu/cyber-research/security-laboratory/article/bluetooth

VPN is good for bypassing ISP blocks on tv websites or torrent websites, for the lazy moments, we all can have such moments lol.
For the lazy moments you dont need VPN paid for, only free VPN, the tv shows on sites isp blocked with no legal foundation or court requests, just blocked coz they want you to buy something off them, the same tv shows.

For privacy just chain some proxies open firefox through them in your terminal.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 08:37:33 AM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

just to add...

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 11:33:48 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

@Searchernow
You’re welcome! :)
I found quite a few anwsers in these forums myself!

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 10:39:14 AM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks Jerry,

very resolved anyway :)

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 09:44:56 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

There's no Solved because your post is not in the Support sections of the Forum. You had a general question, not a LL specific one.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 09:34:56 AM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Marking as solved?

I went to my first post here, clicked modify, but under Prefix box there was just "Ubuntu bug" and 2 other options but no Solved. Oh well.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 09:18:44 AM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks both of you for your help and..... :D

Omeingott! Solved! Windows 8.1 phone turned OFF (all the way off as you said) then on again and voila! Wifi sharing again!

Senor Dead, you may be dead but your mind is working well, unlike mine this week!

Apart from the above solution (so simple) your comment about the questionable value of a vpn when bluetooth hacks can get the bloody data before it's VPN'd is so obvious when you see it! I do need a holiday break.

Thanks for suggestion re Opera - though BestVPN (a great site) do point out it's not a true vpn, just a sort of proxy thing (can't remember details) - they review most vpns and some email services, including their privacy levels. Also great how-to guides on net security, how to configure firefox etc.  (NB I don't have shares in Best vpn.)

Thanks again - made my day! I was debating changing to a more expensive isp, don't need to now!

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 08:03:57 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

Yeah Opera VPN is probably the easiest one to use instantly. ;)
But since I don't have the full info on how the mentioned Malware works, this could be besides the point since it could "see" the information even before it goes trough VPN.
BTW : If the Shared connection is from your iPhone. I always had the same issues on my last three iphones. Sometime you have to TURN OFF (and I really mean OFF not standby) your phone, wait one minute and turn it back on for the WiFi share to work again.
One time I had to change my phone name and sharing password AND do the above. If it helps.

@trinidad has spend some time in the security sector, maybe we could have his input on this BlueTooth malware?
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 02:41:27 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Opera browser has a free built in VPN.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 01:28:01 PM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks Dead,

I do disable bt when not using it. At present my hotspot no longer functions via wifi (for no apparent reason!) but works fine with bluetooth. I'm wondering now if using a good vpn would give protection when using bt...

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:47:47 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

All BlueTooth devices are vulnerable BUT since BT has limited range and not all devices will "accept" the resquests done by the malware (i.e. a BT headphone just won't care when asked to install software, etc.), application of the malware are limited.
Also, a second layer should "ask" the user to install programs.

To be on the safe side, always disable BT on computers/phones when not in use and if secury is crucial... always use a hard line (wires) and for critical system, just don't connect to them to the internet.

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

Is bluetooth safe
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 02:33:10 PM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi,

having read of Bluetooth security issues, particularly the BlueBorne malware, I wonder is it safe to use bluetooth to connect phone hotspot to LL computer?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:42:24 AM by Searchernow »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section