You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Laptop keyboard doesn't work

Author (Read 9666 times)

Re: Laptop keyboard doesn't work
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 01:32:06 AM »

Alain Maronani

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Look at the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg...I am using an us 105 keyboard...I have this with set lang=en_US. What do you have ? Are you using a qwerty keyboard ? azerty ? Something else ?

if loadfont $font ; then
  set gfxmode=auto
  load_video
  insmod gfxterm
  set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
  set lang=en_US What do you have here ?
  insmod gettext
fi

Next you should look at the file /etc/default/keyboard Mine is

# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

XKBMODEL="pc105" ----> What do you have here ?
XKBLAYOUT="us" ------> What do you have here ?
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""

BACKSPACE="guess"

If the XKBLAYOUT is wrong change it to XKBLAYOUT="es" here and after do (in a terminal) (you need to edit the file in sudo mode).

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg to rebuild your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file then reboot

I do not remember if it is necessary to rebuild the initramfs file also...(used by linux to bootstrap itself)

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 09:32:04 AM »

Jonhyge

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Atom N455 1.66GHz

• MEMORY: 1Gb
The usb keyboard only works once it fully logs in to LL, and the laptops keyboard only in GRUBS.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 07:00:48 AM »

ian_r_h

• Merchandise Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi, Jonhyge,

May I be the first to welcome you.  :)

I'm new to Linux myself, so may not be directly able to answer your question directly.  But I used to work on IT help desks, so (hopefully) remember my way around asking for the important stuff.

As I currently understand it:-

The laptop built-in (Spanish layout) keyboard didn't work when booting to Linux Lite (LL) in live OS,
So you attached a USB keyboard (German layout) in order to set the password, installing LL while using this keyboard.

Do both keyboards work OK while booting (you may need to say what it is you are doing in GRUB in which you find the keyboard(s) work)?
Do both keyboards then fail to work when booted into LL, or does one work and not the other?

Hopefully that'll help more experienced people here to get to the bottom of what's happening.
Don't worry about artificial intelligence.  Worry about natural stupidity.  :)

Laptop keyboard doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 12:09:49 AM »

Jonhyge

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Atom N455 1.66GHz

• MEMORY: 1Gb
I am new to the Linux environment so tell me if I make any mistake:
Just today I installed Linux Lite on my netbook (Lenovo s10-3C) which has a keyboard with spanish layout, on the CS live the keyboard wasn't working (thought it could be some files missing that once fully installed could be easily fixed). Well, I was wrong, I had to use a USB keyboard (Gamdias HERMES) in order to set the password so I can use it, I've tried to change different layout but none seem to work, I've also seen many posts about having the numpad keys set to the JKL,IOP... keys but any keys work (at least for me). Is there any way to solve this?
PD: While in bootup in GRUB all keys do work but once inside the OS they stop working.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section