You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

corrupted file back

Author (Read 6565 times)

Re: corrupted file back
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 11:31:12 AM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb
I do not understand this. I did a fresh install of LL 3.2 and 3 days later the corrupted file was back. In every distro I have tried, the js corrupted file returned when using Firefox with the exception of Ubuntu 16.04 which I have been using for over a week with both Firefox and Google Chrome and no corrupted js file. I can only guess why. Very strange.

Quick Scanning

Could not open /usr/share/doc/pavucontrol/README
Could not open /usr/share/doc/openssl/changelog.gz
Could not open /usr/share/doc/zip/changelog.gz
Could not open /usr/share/doc/krb5-locales/CHANGES.gz
Could not open /usr/share/doc/libgpod-common/changelog.Debian.gz
Could not open /usr/share/man/man1/gcov-tool.1.gz
Could not open /usr/share/man/man1/x86_64-linux-gnu-gcov-tool.1.gz
Could not open /run/user/1000/gvfs

50747 files scanned in 3 minutes and 18 seconds.
8 errors were encountered.
No viruses were discovered.
No PUAs were discovered.
End of Scan.

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 01:03:52 PM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

Well, fresh install with Firefox and Chromium and no sign of the file. Can`t seem to find this. Weird.

Could not open /var/run/user/1000/gvfs
Could not open /usr/lib/thunderbird/hyphenation
Could not open /usr/share/doc/python3-cups/NEWS.gz
Could not open /usr/share/doc/dialog/changelog.gz
Could not open /usr/share/doc/krb5-locales/CHANGES.gz
Could not open /usr/share/doc/attr/changelog.gz
Could not open /usr/share/doc/python-cups/NEWS.gz
Could not open /usr/share/doc/pavucontrol/README
Could not open /usr/share/doc/p7zip-full/changelog.gz
Could not open /usr/share/doc/libdjvulibre-text/NEWS.gz
Could not open /usr/share/doc/zip/changelog.gz
Could not open /usr/share/doc/p7zip/changelog.gz
Could not open /usr/share/doc/libdjvulibre21/NEWS.gz
Could not open /usr/share/man/man1/x86_64-linux-gnu-gcov-tool.1.gz
Could not open /usr/share/man/man1/gcov-tool.1.gz

48242 files scanned in 3 minutes and 17 seconds.
15 errors were encountered.
No PUAs were discovered.
End of Scan.
linuxlitetomt@linuxlitetomt-550-153w:~/Downloads/sophos-av$

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 11:31:16 AM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

Trinidad

I appreciate all your effort to re-produce the problem. Your explanation is well above my pay grade, at any rate I re-installed LL 3.2 and stayed within the repos from LL light however I noticed the Chromium has still not been updated whereas Google updated to 56+ some time ago. From your explanation I gather then that
the corrupted file has not been removed even with a fresh install and how would I remove it from the root log in on a fresh install? Opera then must also re-produce the corrupted file as it does not show up in Opera, only Firefox and strangely only after some time of use. If it is a duplication from the anti-virus clam must also be triggering the duplication. I take it your not very fond of Ubuntu. I realize none of the browsers are completely secure but I have read that Google, and I assume because they pay a little more to hackers, generally finds problems before anyone else and is supposed to have better sandboxing. I suppose I should start over here either that or ignore the findings. I can not isolate the file and on every O/S I have tried Firefox is loaded in the file system with one exception, Arch Antergos where if I do not install during set up I do not show any corrupted files with either Sophos or Clam. When I do not sign into Firefox even though the file is in the system, I do not show any corruption which indicates to me the problem is in something I have in my profile on Firefox. Again my thanks for your efforts, I will get to the bottom of this eventually.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:52:11 AM by tomt »

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 09:47:40 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
I have been unable to reproduce the file corruption anomaly you refer to on three different LL 3.2 machines running Firefox, so it is most certainly a praxis, software/malware, and/or locale/profile difference that has produced it for you. I am not meaning to be negative, but considering Google Chrome to be more secure based on a duplicated unknown js corruption in Firefox is somewhat like comparing apples to hand grenades. The file corruption may not show up in Chrome because the js scrap is actually being regularly used by Google Chrome, and therefore does not reduplicate. Also some av scanners can actually trigger script duplication through reboots, especially after incomplete software removal with script fragmentation. Using and then removing software from repos outside the LL packages that include js functions can cause js fragments. This is Ubuntu, sigh, and in truth only Deb stable can completely install and remove software entirely from its OS, and only when that praxis is to stay within the signed Deb stable repos. Also if the files have returned after deletion you have probably corrupted root, which will require removal from a root login, not sudo, because the script w permissions may be based on group permissions, i/e 0 not 27. Good luck.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 01:54:50 PM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

trinidad,

I always had Google Chrome it is not new to me. I left windows 5 or 6 years ago and started fresh with Firefox all over again with the profile. I don`t have any devices and wiped my hard drive clean when I switched to Linux of course it obviously is quite possible through an Email correspondence or whatever  that a Windows connection was made but I find it doubtful. I have cleaned Firefox before and started with a fresh profile but it still follows. I know it is not and I hope I did not create the impression that it is an LL problem as I mentioned before it does not matter what O/S I tried it still shows up. I had filed a bug report more than once but never followed up on it. I have notified Mozilla and never heard back. I am not a new comer to Google Chrome used it for many years and never had a problem. The only problem in fact I have had was with Chromium when they stopped using NPAPI and I had a problem with pepper flash, filed a bug report and had things taken care of. That was not a smooth transition for Chromium but amazingly it was for Google.
Wow you are certainly coming to the wrong conclusion here. Stop using profiles and device syncing altogether and you'll be a lot more secure. Use Startpage as your browser homepage and use a proxy. Google is google i/e advertising and endless js updating. The file is probably a generated scrap of js for Windows software and has no effect on your Linux OS. I wouldn't consider this a LL or Moz security issue at all and it is probably persistent because of your Mozilla usage profile which somehow got linked to a Windows software site, or some cell phone incompatibility. User profiles and device syncing make you less secure period. I use nothing natively Google for web browsing on Windows 10 machines, and always proxy them. Your life is in the cloud whether you know it or not, but you put it there with your user profile and device sync, not a virus, not a file error. Delete the files and see what Firefox eventually prompts you to do afterwards, if anything, and file a bug report with Moz. That should locate the source of the problem. There is no such thing as secure Google Chrome. The web is not a community service. It's about making money, one way or another. On that basis I trust Amazon and MS user profiling far more than Google or Moz based both on past experiences, and on their business and service models compared to Google's. Good luck with that new Google profile. 

TC
I also started fresh when I bought a new desk top some months ago. As I said I am fine without Firefox and in fact without Chromium which fails to update on Ubuntu`s  or synoptic repositories but I have found that Arch rolling releases do update in a very timely manner. I am not naive and I realize there is no expectation of privacy or complete security in the cloud world but I do the best I can to take the precautions I can and warn others when I find something not quite right. I do use starpage and also Duck Duck for searches but I suppose your right about eliminating the profile altogether. Bottom line, I am convinced after the work I`ve done that the problem lies with Firefox and so I agree we can disagree. Best regards.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 01:14:44 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
tomt,
you're welcome tomt :)
I have only used Konqueror on live cd before, and thought it may be an option. I haven't tried Google Chrome. I think I may have tried Opera, is it the one that can read the webpages to you? , I had tried one for this functionality on windows and couldn't get it working well enough at the time as I had only just begun to use a computer.
Now I use Firefox, and Tor browser sometimes, I don't use profiles or logins in browser. Yes I understand how it may be for you in family, my sister in law is doing this.

trinidad,
thank you for the information, I found it interesting and useful. I think it would be good to have separate webs for commercial and everything else, but it is unlikely to happen because they would want to advertise on the non commercial web.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 10:33:51 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Wow you are certainly coming to the wrong conclusion here. Stop using profiles and device syncing altogether and you'll be a lot more secure. Use Startpage as your browser homepage and use a proxy. Google is google i/e advertising and endless js updating. The file is probably a generated scrap of js for Windows software and has no effect on your Linux OS. I wouldn't consider this a LL or Moz security issue at all and it is probably persistent because of your Mozilla usage profile which somehow got linked to a Windows software site, or some cell phone incompatibility. User profiles and device syncing make you less secure period. I use nothing natively Google for web browsing on Windows 10 machines, and always proxy them. Your life is in the cloud whether you know it or not, but you put it there with your user profile and device sync, not a virus, not a file error. Delete the files and see what Firefox eventually prompts you to do afterwards, if anything, and file a bug report with Moz. That should locate the source of the problem. There is no such thing as secure Google Chrome. The web is not a community service. It's about making money, one way or another. On that basis I trust Amazon and MS user profiling far more than Google or Moz based both on past experiences, and on their business and service models compared to Google's. Good luck with that new Google profile. 

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 09:10:53 AM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

bitsnpcs

Thank you for your suggestions. It was either the update through LL or when I ran apt-get update that re-introduced the corrupt file. When I ran clam it showed as a trojan, sophos is unable to open the file but shows it as corrupted. I am fine with Google Chrome which updates much quicker than Chromium although I am aware Opera which I also use is Chromium based. I have used Konqueror in the past when I was using a KDE distro which I liked and also the ability to configure KDE endlessly. Yes coming from a family of law enforcement, I do like security. Google Chrome as I understand is pretty secure and seems to find threats sooner than most and has pretty solid sandboxing. Firefox is history, I can live without it.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 07:09:00 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Do you have the most recent Firefox update 51.0.1, with the nss 3.2.8.1 network security patch, ( I see you like security stuff)?
Maybe Firefox have fixed this as the profile l/p is related to this area.
With following the tutorial about replacing the profile files in the new version, so as not to duplicate them.

You may like this as an alternative browser, info
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install konqueror
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:30:30 PM by bitsnpcs »

corrupted file back
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 12:30:27 PM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

Looks as though I either get rid of Firefox and use only Google Chrome or do a complete profile change. For a second browser I`ll probably use Opera. The corrupted file is back in LL on Firefox. Neglected to mention the corrupt file came with an LL Firefox update, prior to the update the corrupted file was not there.

Could not open /usr/share/doc/p7zip-full/changelog.gz
Could not open /usr/share/doc/openssl/changelog.gz
Could not open /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/src.zip
Could not check /home/linuxlitetomt/.cache/mozilla/firefox/ntrc3s4e.default/cache2/entries/9FEA8B5D13A9944139E1274A00092C7BE1FA363F/commentcount.js (corrupt)
Could not open /home/linuxlitetomt/.config/google-chrome/SingletonLock

56300 files scanned in 4 minutes and 1 second.
18 errors were encountered.
No PUAs were discovered.
End of Scan.
linuxlitetomt@linuxlitetomt-550-153w:~$
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:33:56 PM by tomt »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section