You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

SOLVED - XFCE Terminal Question

Author (Read 16503 times)

Re: SOLVED - XFCE Terminal Question
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 10:34:46 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
Linux user for 9 years, new to Linux Lite and to this forum. What a fantastic distro - coming from Mint Cinnamon desktop to XFCE is a minor adjustment, but I like XFCE - especially the fact that I'm using less resources to run my desktop.

My question is about the XFCE terminal - after I type a command, I'll often get a result in the next like that shows a colored box with a number in it. I'm guessing that these are error codes of some kind - is there some reference list that explains these numbers - ie - should I use these numbers or interpret them in some way?

I don't know how to delete my post after having found the answer - the numbers are indeed error codes. By installing 'moreutils' I got a list that can be called up with 'errno' (error numbers). Sorry to post and answer my own question!

Welcome to the Forum! :)
Linux Lite uses Powerline for the terminal prompt https://powerline.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html and those number as you say represent some error codes. Out of curiosity, what does the pkg moreutils say/ about those error codes? Does it say/show what they mean? One more thing, to mark the thread as Solved, edit the post and from the Select Prefix drop down menu select Solved.

EDIT: I installed 'moreutils' and it does show what the errors mean, so thanks, I've been wanting to know that for a while now, and now I do. :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 10:49:40 AM by Moltke »
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

SOLVED - XFCE Terminal Question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 07:33:11 AM »

benslinux

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Linux user for 9 years, new to Linux Lite and to this forum. What a fantastic distro - coming from Mint Cinnamon desktop to XFCE is a minor adjustment, but I like XFCE - especially the fact that I'm using less resources to run my desktop.

My question is about the XFCE terminal - after I type a command, I'll often get a result in the next like that shows a colored box with a number in it. I'm guessing that these are error codes of some kind - is there some reference list that explains these numbers - ie - should I use these numbers or interpret them in some way?

I don't know how to delete my post after having found the answer - the numbers are indeed error codes. By installing 'moreutils' I got a list that can be called up with 'errno' (error numbers). Sorry to post and answer my own question!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:29:45 AM by benslinux »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section