You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 6.2 Final Released

Author (Read 97369 times)

Re: Linux Lite 6.2 Final Released
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2022, 12:21:05 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Yeah, that's why I'm not rushing into a 'fix'.

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2022, 10:12:30 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

[...]
Got the following error:

[...]

Now, seeing the lines, I remembered I saw the same sequence of messages, related to GPG.
Since I'm used to take care of my own, I just pressed "Up Arrow", "Enter" and here we are, update completed.
The rest, was trivial. Took me 3 minutes flat to move from 6.0 to 6.2.
Nothing required any "fine tuning", nothing even close to any kind of regression.
Just this message related to the deprecated key management.
I forgot when I encountered the same sequence. Somewhere in the 5.x series and I remember I did exactly the same thing and it also worked.

Thanks for posting the dpkg messages sequence! :)
"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2022, 09:10:17 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

upgrade logs in each instance would provide clues
Sorry Jerry. I'm so used to LL being stable, and fairly confident in my own abaility to fix things anyway, that I never thought to post the log after the first machine failed and then updated and sucessfully upgraded. I just wanted to report it and see if anybody else had the same little problem with the US repo. The log you posted is from the same error I got. I really thought it might be caused by a CPU delay on my end ( I've had that happen intermittantly on Debian with offline updates) even though my hardware is pretty good.

TC     
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2022, 07:27:22 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

I fresh installed 6.0 in a VM > Rebooted > ran Install Updates (354 packages) >

Got the following error:

Ran Install Updates a second time, no problem (not ideal and I'll see if I can correct the error, in the meantime I've updated the Release Announcement for 6.2)

Rebooted > ran Lite Upgrade to 6.2

Upgrade worked.

Thanks for reporting the error folks :)

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 06:07:17 AM »

WytWun

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Atom z8300

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel integrated

I've now upgraded 2 laptops: both experienced the lite-patch gpg failure (logs from first here).  Once past that, the process - including the actual Lite 6.0 to 6.2 upgrade - completed normally (or at least in straightfoward fashion for 1 of them).

Both machines are relatively low end: one a dual-core Celeron with a 2.5" SATA SSD and the other a quad core Atom with an eMMC SSD module (which are known to be slow).  The machine with the eMMC drive was unpacking the lite-themes package for a good few minutes, while the time to unpack that package on the machine with the SATA SSD wasn't really noticeable.

The Atom machine also hung during the post-update and post Lite-upgrade reboots, but booted ok from a power-down in both cases (and restarts ok from the logout dialog).  I've not seen that behaviour with this machine with previous in-series upgrades...

Despite the problems encountered both upgrades are working fine.

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2022, 06:56:40 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Some interesting info. The lite-themes packages contains 142,000 files, by contrast, the linux image directory for the 6.0 kernel is 7,000 files.
Extracting the lite-themes package in a VM or low end hardware is going to take quite a while, and may give the impression that nothing is happening. Lite Themes is generally only released during Linux Lite releases, and deliberately at least 3 days prior to the official release so as to not impact on people's upgrade experience. That might be why some people say that the upgrade is stalling or they kill it before it has a chance to end, or have to reboot more than once.

At the end of the day, if you are patient and follow the Upgrade instructions to the letter, there should be no issues. In 10 years I think I've released Lite Upgrade twice where it has had an unforseen bug, in which case each time, it is very quickly patched and released straight away. I'm quite paranoid and very careful when it comes to testing over and over, the Lite Upgrade package.

Recent 6.2 Facebook release comment...

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2022, 05:58:20 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Well the two upgrades I finished both required running updates twice. The first update attempt failed in both cases (one in qemu on Debian, one on a quad core CPU bare metal) but after waiting a few minutes both second attempts at updates were successful. The upgrade routine then ran smoothly and quickly for both. Curious about the cause, maybe linked to kernel fwupd? I did not reboot between the two attempts at updates and both machines had ample RAM and disk space. I was using the default US repo.

TC   

The upgrade logs in each instance would provide clues.

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2022, 02:18:13 PM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

Well the two upgrades I finished both required running updates twice. The first update attempt failed in both cases (one in qemu on Debian, one on a quad core CPU bare metal) but after waiting a few minutes both second attempts at updates were successful. The upgrade routine then ran smoothly and quickly for both. Curious about the cause, maybe linked to kernel fwupd? I did not reboot between the two attempts at updates and both machines had ample RAM and disk space. I was using the default US repo.

TC

It seems the error happened to many. It happened to me too, but I forgot if I rebooted. I guess that being in the CLI, I just reissued "sudo apt upgrade" and it worked.
The error came from "lite-patch" and I guess it was an internal dpkg - System signalling error.
Thinking and reading about "kernel fwupd", makes me belive that fwupd is vulnerable to CPU tick delays, which often occure when storage media is involved. I got this kind of errors when working on some programs written in RapidQ and Gambas.

The Repo:
I switched to a Romanian mirror, so it's debatable if there was a wget error.

Best regards! :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 02:21:10 PM by Şerban S. »
Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2022, 01:50:12 PM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

I watched the 6.2 RC1 review [...] he was having a hard time running it in a virtual box.

I'm nothing like an expert in computers, let alone programmer expert. Yet, I posted a video showing me run Linux Lite 6.2 RC 1 in Virtual Box:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/release-announcements/linux-lite-6-2-rc1-released/msg59322/#msg59322

May I question the good will of the reviewer?

Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2022, 10:01:10 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

TC   
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2022, 08:52:03 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel celeron 900 @ 2.20 GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

I watched the 6.2 RC1 review on the Switched to Linux channel last night on Rumble, it is also on YouTube and Odysee as well.  He rates it #4 behind Linux Mint XFCE version, Peppermint Linux, the review is lacking talking points about the improvements made from the 5.0 series OS and many complaints about Chrome being the default browser and the lack of available software in lite software compared to Linux Mint.  He continues to bitch and complain about the lack of toggles when using the settings and he was having a hard time running it in a virtual box. 

Best regards,
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2022, 09:04:39 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

Hello! :)

[...] What do I need to do from here?

Read this post:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/updates/linux-lite-updates-8948/msg59549/#msg59549

You might need to restart the computer. I forgot. Sometimes, I do things automatically and they just go away. After many years of practice, I never get scared by a warning message and I do all I know to fix things, accordingly to what seems appropriate.
"lite-patch" is a key component and I treat it as such. Rebooting, is necessary as I see it.
If you look at the packages list, you'll recognize the packages that lead to system upgrade. That means rebooting, is necessary to make them active. The kernel and lite-parch, for one.

Good luck! :)
Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 08:36:28 AM »

WytWun

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Atom z8300

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel integrated

Having successfully installed updates a couple of days ago, I've just run install updates again to pick up the 6.2 install bits but the update process has failed :(.

The log:
Code: [Select]
===========================
Install Updates Error log
===========================
Install Updates could not successfully download and install available updates.
Go to https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/ and paste the log below into a new or existing thread for assistance.

============ Log ===========

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Calculating upgrade...
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  linux-headers-5.15.0-43 linux-headers-5.15.0-43-generic
  linux-image-5.15.0-43-generic linux-modules-5.15.0-43-generic
  linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-43-generic
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages have been kept back:
  grub-efi-amd64-bin grub-efi-amd64-signed
The following packages will be upgraded:
  lite-manual lite-patch lite-software lite-upgrade-series6 lite-usermanager
  lite-welcome
6 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 2 not to upgrade.
Need to get 15.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 1,024 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://repo.linuxliteos.com/linuxlite fluorite/main amd64 lite-manual all 6.0-0020-linuxlite [15.2 MB]
Get:2 http://repo.linuxliteos.com/linuxlite fluorite/main amd64 lite-patch all 6.0-0030-linuxlite [2,376 B]
Get:3 http://repo.linuxliteos.com/linuxlite fluorite/main amd64 lite-software all 6.0-0030-linuxlite [85.8 kB]
Get:4 http://repo.linuxliteos.com/linuxlite fluorite/main amd64 lite-upgrade-series6 all 6.0-0020-linuxlite [7,154 B]
Get:5 http://repo.linuxliteos.com/linuxlite fluorite/main amd64 lite-usermanager all 6.0-0020-linuxlite [8,580 B]
Get:6 http://repo.linuxliteos.com/linuxlite fluorite/main amd64 lite-welcome all 6.0-0020-linuxlite [621 kB]
Fetched 15.9 MB in 10s (1,572 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 456160 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../lite-manual_6.0-0020-linuxlite_all.deb ...
Unpacking lite-manual (6.0-0020-linuxlite) over (6.0-0010-linuxlite) ...
Setting up lite-manual (6.0-0020-linuxlite) ...
(Reading database ... 456160 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../lite-patch_6.0-0030-linuxlite_all.deb ...
Unpacking lite-patch (6.0-0030-linuxlite) over (6.0-0020-linuxlite) ...
Setting up lite-patch (6.0-0030-linuxlite) ...
Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead (see apt-key(8)).

gpg: WARNING: nothing exported

gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.

Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead (see apt-key(8)).

gpg: WARNING: nothing exported

gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.

dpkg: error processing package lite-patch (--configure):
 installed lite-patch package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 lite-patch
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

What do I need to do from here?

System info:
Code: [Select]
System:    Host: lite-es1 Kernel: 5.15.0-52-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 Distro: Linux Lite 6.0 LTS
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Aspire ES1-311 v: V1.11 serial: <superuser/root required>
           Mobo: Acer model: Aspire ES1-311 v: V1.11 serial: <superuser/root required> UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde v: 1.11
           date: 10/24/2014
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 32.7 Wh condition: 38.7/36.7 Wh (105%)
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Celeron N2840 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 1024 KiB
           Speed: 2443 MHz min/max: 500/2582 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2443 2: 2419
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display driver: i915 v: kernel
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.21.1.3 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics (BYT) v: 4.2 Mesa 22.0.5
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.15.0-52-generic
Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k
           IF: wls2 state: down mac: d0:53:49:23:ec:4e
           Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169
           IF: ens3f1 state: down mac: 30:65:ec:68:72:6c
           Device-3: TP-Link UE300 10/100/1000 LAN (ethernet mode) [Realtek RTL8153] type: USB driver: r8152
           IF: enx18a6f71d22ca state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 18:a6:f7:1d:22:ca
           Device-4: Lite-On Atheros AR3012 Bluetooth type: USB driver: btusb
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 232.89 GiB used: 25.67 GiB (11.0%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Crucial model: CT250MX200SSD1 size: 232.89 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 124.78 GiB used: 25.67 GiB (20.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 7.89 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0 C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:      Processes: 199 Uptime: 20m Memory: 7.65 GiB used: 897.7 MiB (11.5%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.38

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 10:12:45 PM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

Performing the upgrade via the Instructions works fine here. I ran install Updates, rebooted, removed an old Kernel, rebooted. Then performed Lite Upgrade without a hitch.

Although I followed the exact same steps, I took some extra-steps, prior to installing: checked the mirrors to see if there is an .iso; backed up system partitions, then followed the above procedure. :)

Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 06:10:41 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Performing the upgrade via the Instructions works fine here. I ran install Updates, rebooted, removed an old Kernel, rebooted. Then performed Lite Upgrade without a hitch.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section