You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 6.0 Final Released

Author (Read 138037 times)

Re: Linux Lite 6.0 Final Released
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2022, 07:10:27 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
I like the idea of the reminder...
Whether it be upon an click of Lite Upgrade..
"Your system has reached the end of the series look for a new versions coming..."

Or similarly on Lire Welcome.. or a step further  a notice of end of life??

For a Windows user the next release is media heavy whether you follow tech or not... A notice of sorts isn't a bad idea.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 07:13:56 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2022, 09:50:30 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

You misunderstood the point. I represent a lot of those who have no voice, no skills, little logic, no computer skills, and don’t read forums. Before you hate them or think about them with disrespect and contempt, think about your grandma for a moment. If you tried to make her life easier but she struggles to understand the “unspoken” part. Think about a school with teachers of non-technical disciplines who hate unpredictable and unexplainable to them technology with passion. Think of a nurse who saved your yours and parents’ lives and you are scolding her for not doing research in computer matters. It’s enough she went through years and years of studying and still keeps up in her field to save your life. Then she has several kids to feed and take care of after she took care of you at work. She just wants things to work and not do research in things she hates with passion. Just like cars. She wants to drive one that doesn’t break, without becoming a car mechanic. She wants to read things and believe what they say. If a car says that the door is open she doesn’t want to read the manual from to back to find out that the light “door open” actually means that she’s out of gas when it’s raining outside. Arrogance and shaming is good among professionals, maybe like you and me. This system actually targets unsuspecting users who want things just work. There are lots of those. Hence, no need to insult their intelligence. Or blame them for ignorance. After all, that nurse studied for over a decade and still pays off her student debt while raising several children and having enough knowledge in her field to save your life when you are admitted into ER. Enough things to worry about in her life before she jumps and reads the difference between what it says and what the reality is. See my point?

Hi!
It is a way of putting it. Your way.
On the other hand...
Does it write here somewhere that this is a forum for babysitters and nurses and... (etc.), who want to use Linux without learning anything?
Think again!
Even a washing machine, or a coffee expressor has a manual and you are supposed to read it, BEFORE COMPLAINING it works bad, or it got broke.
This is the point!

And here is another perspective:
Want to have everything at a turn-key, or "one click away" 24/7/365? OK. Go back to Windows. They claim they do this. So, why bother with Linux (whatever distro...)?
Or, maybe use a Mac Air. They claim the same.

The way you put things together is offensive for many of the people around here, who spent countless hours learning and then sharing their knowledge -- be them savvy or beginner.
They all put sweat besides knowledge into their posts. For free! What about the countless answers to questions that are already answered in the Linux Lite manual? Or in the forum posts?

Think deeper when you post something. Anything.. And mostly, speak for yourself. It is a matter of self-respect. Nobody here asked you to be "the voice of the many". They can speak for themselves, as we all do here.

[...]Before you hate them or think about them with disrespect and contempt[...]

Nobody hates and/or disrespects you, or anyone else, for that matter.
But it looks like YOU DO THIS, by throwing false accusations and claims unsupported with evidence.

I am a self-taught computer user and I think I know well enough what it means to give up your sleep or skip a meal or two, or maybe more, just to buy a book you need or want, in order to learn something. Anything! And this is how it goes, with everything! Including Linux or any other skill you want to have and use. You have to grow it inside you.
I started to learn computers by myself in 1995. Long time ago, old story. So, before telling me, or US a story of a lazy user, who expects a computer to work by itself by just pressing a button, hear, listen my story too. It is very much like many other stories of many people here, on this forum.

Best regards!
"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2022, 08:29:23 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

Now torrenting the LL 6.2 RC.

So looking forward to this! For me Lite Tweaks is one of the greatest features among the many offered in this desktop distro. Snapd is disabled, another big plus. Cleaning up systemd logs, which can become huge over time, is another big plus (in Lite Tweaks).

I'll instantly ditch the default browser and Thunderbird and replace them with my old favorite, Seamonkey using a PPA. Other than that and the usual desktop customization I always do with wallpaper and panels, Linux Lite is about as out-of-the-box perfect as any distro I've ever used.  The only reason I keep one alternative Linux distro around is to keep my ancient 32-bit box out of the landfill for as long as I can.

Thanks to Jerry and the Team for this little bundle of awesomeness!

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2022, 01:30:21 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Thank you @PrivateTech , never say never :)

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2022, 01:24:54 AM »

PrivateTech

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Fan
    • View Profile

Jerry,

Thank you so much for taking your time to even reply.

No, of course it is not a big deal.

No, it is not super important.

Maybe it is not even worth your time as I am sure there are lots of more pressing matters.

No, there is no avalanche of feedback that we experienced. But there were a few, from more than one client of our fairly small company. Yet, we took it as an indication that if we heard of it more than once, there must be others.

I thought I'd share, without any expectation of any change. Just a friendly suggestion, that's all. I am absolutely sure that none of our users would ever research about it online, let alone post on any forums. We help those who certainly won't. That is why I mentioned that I/we represent those without a voice, so to speak.

But in a big picture of course it is a very very minor thing. Just thought I'd contribute by sharing, without criticizing and without any expectations.

Thank you for your hard work and looking forward to the version 6.2 soon.

All the best!

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2022, 01:13:43 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

This is the first time this topic has been brought up to the best of my knowledge. Could @PrivateTech be talking on behalf of silent users? Possibly, we just won't know. I think you'll find most companies, organizations etc usually only act if there is a measurable amount of feedback. That doesn't also translate to, we should ignore feedback or not implement something if only one person has mentioned it. Every well written suggestion is carefully considered. At this stage, I don't have that sense that I should rush off and do something about this, and again, that doesn't also mean that a change in wording won't occur in the future. Never be afraid to give feedback or opinion, I rely heavily on this community to help me improve this operating system. Thank you all for this discussion. Let's look forward to the 6.2 release, the RC1 is coming very soon :)

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2022, 10:36:50 PM »

PrivateTech

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Fan
    • View Profile

You misunderstood the point. I represent a lot of those who have no voice, no skills, little logic, no computer skills, and don’t read forums. Before you hate them or think about them with disrespect and contempt, think about your grandma for a moment. If you tried to make her life easier but she struggles to understand the “unspoken” part. Think about a school with teachers of non-technical disciplines who hate unpredictable and unexplainable to them technology with passion. Think of a nurse who saved your yours and parents’ lives and you are scolding her for not doing research in computer matters. It’s enough she went through years and years of studying and still keeps up in her field to save your life. Then she has several kids to feed and take care of after she took care of you at work. She just wants things to work and not do research in things she hates with passion. Just like cars. She wants to drive one that doesn’t break, without becoming a car mechanic. She wants to read things and believe what they say. If a car says that the door is open she doesn’t want to read the manual from to back to find out that the light “door open” actually means that she’s out of gas when it’s raining outside. Arrogance and shaming is good among professionals, maybe like you and me. This system actually targets unsuspecting users who want things just work. There are lots of those. Hence, no need to insult their intelligence. Or blame them for ignorance. After all, that nurse studied for over a decade and still pays off her student debt while raising several children and having enough knowledge in her field to save your life when you are admitted into ER. Enough things to worry about in her life before she jumps and reads the difference between what it says and what the reality is. See my point?

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2022, 09:19:49 PM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel celeron 900 @ 2.20 GHz

• VIDEO CARD: mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

There comes a time when you have to do the work and not rely on your parents to do everything for you, as Serban says it is all laid out for all to see and Jerry shouldn't have to hold their hand and lead them to the information.  I have been using Linux Lite since February 2022, downloaded the ISO for 5.4 according to Jerry's instructions and following those instructions was able to set up dual boot with Windows reading all of the instructions.  During that install it stated that I could only upgrade within a series then I upgraded to 5.8 without any trouble because I followed the well detailed instructions that Jerry spelled out for a novice like me.  Do the work, read the manual, read the tutorials, search the forum where folks like Serban will help you down the path of Linux Lite OS freely.  Just my opinion.
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2022, 09:02:22 PM »

PrivateTech

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Fan
    • View Profile

When users click on Upgrade, it says that they are running the latest version, which is incorrect and confused some of them. I was asked about it more than once by regular users.

Not every user reads every page of documentation front to back. Many lay people who love using LinuxLite take it literally for what it says without second guessing it.

If the check says “you are running the latest version” they trust it and read it with plain common sense without thinking that there are some more “obvious” untold rules.

They trust what they read and think that there must be something wrong with their installation that it cannot upgrade. They don’t jump reading forums to check for conditions and limitations. For most it doesn’t make much sense, series or not. Why they can upgrade within series but not between series.

If it cannot be done - no problem. That’s how it was designed and I’m not nothing about it. We are all grateful for a lot of hard work with wonderful results.

All I’m saying - just give people consistent message that says all the truth. Maybe educates them a little bit too.

Saying that the current message is misleading is a bit too strong language. I’d rather say… why not educate users and simply say as it is:

Hey, great news! A new version is released! Sorry, the bad news is that you cannot automatically upgrade from your version. You need to reinstall it or look online for manual ways to do it.

And users will be grateful even more for getting accurate information.

Hope it makes sense.

Thanks again for your hard work.

Re: Upgrade from LinuxLite 5.8 to 6.0
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2022, 06:25:25 PM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

Hello,

Thank you for the wonderful new release.

Now, that the LinixLite version 6.0 is released, maybe it is a good idea to stop telling users of the earlier version 5.8 that they have the most current version when they check for an upgrade. It actually surprises some users and they are asking why there is no upgrade available when the new version is released already.

If it cannot be upgraded from 5.8 to 6.0 (very unfortunately and highly anticipated), it would be great to say just that.  [...]

Hi!

Have you read the entire thread?
You probably missed this:

Release Candidate's are for testing only, therefore there is no upgrade path.
There is no upgrade path from Series to Series" eg. Series 5x to Series 6x.

Here is another one:
When final release is out will I need a new installation from scratch?

Upgrades within a series, i.e. Linux Lite 5.x, are allowed, so no, you won't. However, when Linux Lite 6.x comes out, you will need to install from scratch.

There is also a long list of posts regarding the Updates procedure. Use Forum's Search box with the string:
Code: [Select]
LinuxLite 5.8 to 6.0
Best regards!
Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2022, 03:57:34 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel celeron 900 @ 2.20 GHz

• VIDEO CARD: mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

I assume he is talking about in 5.8 from settings clicking the lite upgrade it informs us that we are running the latest version
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2022, 02:29:30 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Now, that the LinixLite version 6.0 is released, maybe it is a good idea to stop telling users of the earlier version 5.8 that they have the most current version when they check for an upgrade.

Can you please be more specific about where you are seeing this message?

Upgrade from LinuxLite 5.8 to 6.0
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2022, 01:43:12 AM »

PrivateTech

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Fan
    • View Profile

Hello,

Thank you for the wonderful new release.

Now, that the LinixLite version 6.0 is released, maybe it is a good idea to stop telling users of the earlier version 5.8 that they have the most current version when they check for an upgrade. It actually surprises some users and they are asking why there is no upgrade available when the new version is released already.

If it cannot be upgraded from 5.8 to 6.0 (very unfortunately and highly anticipated), it would be great to say just that. Something like this:

"A new version 6.0 is released and available but there is currently no path to upgrade from LinuxLite 5.8 to 6.0. It needs to be downloaded and installed from scratch. Alternatively, check later in case if/when it becomes possible."

At least it won't confuse users.

Thank you for your consideration.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 02:24:05 AM by PrivateTech »

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2022, 04:22:28 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Thank you @Artim @Şerban @Anmol Kumar :)

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2022, 04:19:27 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

Moved up a spot today...

That was great!
As if today, it is even greater: Top 10!

Now, given the fact that Linux Lite 6.0 is living it's last month, it is presumable that most users, are waiting for LL 6.2 so at some extent, I can understand the decrease of downloads.
But this very fact is relevant: it tells me that the new users choose Linux Lite over many other distros, that are considered "seasoned" ones.
As for me, I'll take the ride with LL 6.2 from Day One! :D

Thanks, best thoughts and best wishes Jerry, for this great accomplishment!

Current Machine:
Laptop:

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section