General > Release Announcements

Linux Lite 5.0 Final Released

(1/12) > >>

MIKE STAN:
Lite Welcome (shortcuts now work) and Lite User Manager now updated to GTK3 and Python3.
3 new options on the Welcome screen: Select Dark or Light Theme, UEFI & Secure Boot, Feedback.

Tyrannocaster:
Yes, i decided to just stick with 4.8, since it works for me. Maybe Cherry Tree will address this; seems like the dev would be under some pressure (even if only internally) to do this.

Zim isn't bad at all, but the lack of user-control over colors is a real problem on my system. I suspect that won't bother people who have not changed the way LL looks.

Şerban S.:
Hi, again! :)   
Glad you found something that works!

--- Quote from: Tyrannocaster on July 13, 2020, 08:58:35 AM ---I installed Zim and will give it a try.
--- End quote ---

I took a look into this piece of software.
Sounds interesting.
The idea that crossed my mind is IF it exports in .xml, maybe all your work might be portable.
I took a quick look at Cherry Tree.
It's quite very advanced so, I guess even if you open an .xml, some formatting will get lost due to the lack of support in the Zim core app.

Since I'm the visual kind of student, Cherry Tree looks to me more convincing that the Slackware aproach found in Zim...
On the other hand, making a dual boot machine for the sole purpose of having Cherry Tree...
Maybe if you make a heavy use of this, a better solution would be to get back to LL 4.8, until Cherry Tree gets ready for the Ubuntu 20.04 version.
This often happens, I'm also waiting for the FSLint to release a suitable version for Ub 20.04...

--- Quote from: Tyrannocaster on July 13, 2020, 08:58:35 AM ---[...] [Later] Looks like Zim will run on Windows and Mac, though I imagine my old Mac's OS is not supported. Biggest hangup for me with Zim is that the colors (font, background, etc) are not user-changeable, and it boots up with defaults that are hard to read on my customized LL system.

--- End quote ---

https://zim-wiki.org/manual/Help/Export.html

Now, comparing the two, I guess it's too much of a trouble to use Zim.
It's easier to revert to Lite 4.8, then move back to LL 5.0 when Cherry Tree gets ready for 20.04.
As far as I could figure by now, too many compatibility problems between the two.
I would also opt for Cherry Tree instead of anything else.
The more I read about, the less I can figure out how to replace it... Way too complex and... "All-In-One"...
It's more of an Archive management tool than "Note taking".
Plus... runs on whatever OS?! I'd have a hard time myself to give it up!

Best thoughts! :)

Tyrannocaster:
I installed Zim and will give it a try. The advantage to Cherry Tree is that it runs on Windows and also Mac (I have those OS, too), so the data can be swapped from machine to machine easily by just copying the CherryTree data file.

[Later] Looks like Zim will run on Windows and Mac, though I imagine my old Mac's OS is not supported. Biggest hangup for me with Zim is that the colors (font, background, etc) are not user-changeable, and it boots up with defaults that are hard to read on my customized LL system.

Şerban S.:

--- Quote from: Tyrannocaster on July 12, 2020, 01:14:03 PM ---Sorry to see that Cherry Tree won't work with it. I have TONS of chapters of notes in Cherry Tree. But if it won't work, it won't work.

--- End quote ---

Hi!
Linux Lite has nothing to do with this!

https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/#downl

Quote:

--- Quote ---debian/ubuntu package (NOT FOR UBUNTU 20.04/DEBIAN UNSTABLE, NEW GTKMM3 VERSION COMING SOON, USE SNAP or FLATPAK PACKAGE)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version