You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 4.0 Final Released

Author (Read 323844 times)

Re: Linux Lite 4.0 Final Released
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2018, 11:08:00 AM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
@drrdf - I understand that you miss the 32-bit version. At the same time, let's remember that Jerry is doing this (i.e. developing a Linux distro) himself on a volunteer basis. Maybe we could all be grateful for how long we had 32-bit, instead of upset that it's no longer being available.

I am sure it was similarly hard for Jerry to say goodbye to 32-bit too, but let's think about how much of his time he is using up. If he would be making 2 versions of each release (one for 64 bit and one for 32 bit) then it would take so much more of his time than just one version. Since there are more and more 64 bit computers around and less and less 32 bit, it makes sense that he'd focus on just the 64 bit version. Anyone else who was working on something on a volunteer basis would probably make a similar decision, just because of how much time they're using up.

If you personally need a 32 bit version, one possible solution is that you could consider putting in the time and effort to learning how to install one of the distros that specialize in multiple architectures and who therefore support 32 bit. For example as far as I can tell from my research, Gentoo is a possibility (see this thread on the Gentoo forums https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1073184-start-0.html). If you feel like this is too much time and effort for you to do, then by the same token it would be rather unfair to expect Jerry to put in the time and effort to develop an entire extra version that many people are not using.

I'm not saying you should be forced to throw out your 32 bit computer if you still like it and if you have environmental concerns about getting a new computer (although if you ARE looking for a reason to get a new machine this is a good time! - most software is only being developed for 64 bit now).  I'm saying instead of having no option but to get a new computer, it might be more up to you to step up and do something about getting Linux for your 32 bit machine, not up to Jerry.

Interesting comments around the 32bit subject.  I'm using LL4.0 on a 64bit, but I did recently install LL3.8 on a friend's 32bit laptop - if I'm not mistaken this is still supported till early 2021 (and is available still to download).

I can't recall the thread here, but one of the team Trinidad has suggested he might do a Debian version of LL 32bit, extending its life for another 10 years. Fingers crossed!
SN.  I hope my reply has been useful - click Thank on the left.

« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2018, 08:16:36 PM »

raemond

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thank you very much!

« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2018, 12:38:01 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Code: [Select]
sha256sum linux-lite-4.0-64bit.iso
ca5d6649f8371607a331625664882383560d08f91cdfc131922bf83d96ae3c0f  linux-lite-4.0-64bit.iso

« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2018, 07:14:08 PM »

raemond

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thank you for your reply. I did find the md5sum. Md5sum is going by the wayside. Most are using sha256sum since the Mint iso hacks a couple years ago. I'm testing Lite for business and security is paramount.

« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2018, 02:07:47 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
Hi all. I need the sha256sum for the 64 bit iso please. It must be somewhere but I can't find it. Thanks.

Go to https://www.linuxliteos.com/download.php and scroll down to the MD5SUM CHECKER and drag and drop your iso file onto it.
Hope this helps.
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2018, 05:01:18 PM »

raemond

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi all. I need the sha256sum for the 64 bit iso please. It must be somewhere but I can't find it. Thanks.

« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2018, 02:38:14 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

You're Welcome :)
Happy you can now install LL4.0

« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2018, 07:39:44 PM »

mchabot1987

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
In the BIOS you can define the boot order and set so it will boot from USB and using legacy mode.

Here is an example of doing this on one model of a HP Stream - http://blog.room34.com/archives/5260

As you have made your LIVE USB begin on step #3 of above link, instead of pressing F10 you may need to press the ESC key instead (I read on HP website for Stream 11 you need to press ESC key to enter BIOS on startup).

Your awesome. It was the legacy option. Installing LL4.0 as we speak.

« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2018, 05:01:16 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

In the BIOS you can define the boot order and set so it will boot from USB and using legacy mode.

Here is an example of doing this on one model of a HP Stream - http://blog.room34.com/archives/5260

As you have made your LIVE USB begin on step #3 of above link, instead of pressing F10 you may need to press the ESC key instead (I read on HP website for Stream 11 you need to press ESC key to enter BIOS on startup).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:08:40 AM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2018, 10:19:13 PM »

mchabot1987

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello mchabot1987,

these are the instructions on making the usb, to rule out usb creation software as the issue firstly -

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#lldvdusbosx

If this does not solve it, it may assist other members in helping you if you can specify please which computer you're wanting to install to, in case there are any known issues.

I've done that writes the USB but does not automatically boot into the live mode. I'm using a HP Stream 11". Ubuntu 18.04 works amazing on this laptop

« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2018, 02:40:00 PM »

rijnsma

• Forum Regular
  • Never give up..
    • View Profile
Systemback gone. Now how do I make an ISO and/or a pendrive of my system?

Hi @rijnsma -- The Systemback tool was dropped and replaced by Timeshift. It's main use is to set restore points, and the ability to roll-back as needed. I'm not sure about the creation of ISO files with either tool.

Tears in my eyes that great progs like Remastersys and Systemback die, but...
PinguyBuilder for Ubuntu-likes (the simple backup option for example) looks a great substitute.
It is in LL4 (thanks! If I did not install it earlier by myself in my wild quest for such a replacement),
but there are also .deb versions on the web easy installable via Gdebi.

Timeshift is very different. It does not make a live-medium. Very usefull too by the way.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:52:43 PM by rijnsma »

« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2018, 06:01:22 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello mchabot1987,

these are the instructions on making the usb, to rule out usb creation software as the issue firstly -

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#lldvdusbosx

If this does not solve it, it may assist other members in helping you if you can specify please which computer you're wanting to install to, in case there are any known issues.

« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2018, 10:21:15 PM »

mchabot1987

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Kinda a noob on Linux but I love it so far. I need help installing LL. I'm on Ubuntu 18.04 right now I created the USB but will not boot the installer. Is there a specific way to install this coming from Ubuntu 18.04?

« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2018, 01:15:50 PM »

whateverthing

• Occasional Poster
  • design enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr: KarHutWhat

• CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GMA X4500

Systemback gone. Now how do I make an ISO and/or a pendrive of my system?

Hi @rijnsma -- The Systemback tool was dropped and replaced by Timeshift. It's main use is to set restore points, and the ability to roll-back as needed. I'm not sure about the creation of ISO files with either tool.
=Karl=

« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2018, 11:32:22 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Hi @rijnsma

LL 4.0 is definitely the best looking Linux GUI out there imho. I also love that we now have a system sounds implementation to work with. I have a well paying client that I am building and investor version of Linux Lite for and am currently fine tuning Stefano Martin's ruby wrapper for the Alphavantage API., and LibreOffice Calc which CSV already defaults to. Have already set up Coinpare in ruby, which works wonderfully, and electrum which also works flawlessly. RVM and ruby work excellently in Linux Lite and I expect great results and satisfaction from my client who is not computer savvy at all. I've done all these things in Debian before but I chose LL specifically for this project because of its beautiful UI. This distro has a great future.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section