You are Here:
Linux Lite 4.0 Final has been released. See the Release Announcements Section.

Linux Lite 4.0 Final Released

Author (Read 20003 times)

Re: Linux Lite 4.0 Final Released
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »

Vera

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Enjoying Linux Lite.

• Linux Lite: 3.8 64bit

• CPU: Intel Quad Core 1.6GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon
@drrdf - I understand that you miss the 32-bit version. At the same time, let's remember that Jerry is doing this (i.e. developing a Linux distro) himself on a volunteer basis. Maybe we could all be grateful for how long we had 32-bit, instead of upset that it's no longer being available.

I am sure it was similarly hard for Jerry to say goodbye to 32-bit too, but let's think about how much of his time he is using up. If he would be making 2 versions of each release (one for 64 bit and one for 32 bit) then it would take so much more of his time than just one version. Since there are more and more 64 bit computers around and less and less 32 bit, it makes sense that he'd focus on just the 64 bit version. Anyone else who was working on something on a volunteer basis would probably make a similar decision, just because of how much time they're using up.

If you personally need a 32 bit version, one possible solution is that you could consider putting in the time and effort to learning how to install one of the distros that specialize in multiple architectures and who therefore support 32 bit. For example as far as I can tell from my research, Gentoo is a possibility (see this thread on the Gentoo forums https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1073184-start-0.html). If you feel like this is too much time and effort for you to do, then by the same token it would be rather unfair to expect Jerry to put in the time and effort to develop an entire extra version that many people are not using.

I'm not saying you should be forced to throw out your 32 bit computer if you still like it and if you have environmental concerns about getting a new computer (although if you ARE looking for a reason to get a new machine this is a good time! - most software is only being developed for 64 bit now).  I'm saying instead of having no option but to get a new computer, it might be more up to you to step up and do something about getting Linux for your 32 bit machine, not up to Jerry.
Using Linux Lite for everything now. I put it on my desktop and my laptop. Woohoo!

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2018, 03:47:26 PM »

whateverthing

• Occasional Poster
  • design enthusiast
    • My Tumblr: KarHutWhat

• Linux Lite: 4.0 64bit

• CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GMA X4500
So Linux "lite" has now gone the way of so many of the other Linux distros, ... 32 bit platforms are now excluded ...

It's unfortunate. But as I understand it, the main reason is that Linux Lite 4.0 is based on Ubuntu 18.04, and Ubuntu no longer supports 32-bit architecture. So it's an upstream problem.
=Karl=

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2018, 05:39:33 PM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member

• Linux Lite: 3.2 64bit

• CPU: AMD 4200

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia
Vera: thank you for your reply. It seems that you have misunderstood my post and the purpose of it. Of course we are all very grateful to Jerry. It may be as whateverthing has posted that Ubunutu have ceased producing a 32-bit version, although I doubt it, since Ubuntu is mainly aimed at third world PCs which tend to be old. My point was in any case not moaning about a 32-bit version being no longer available, but about continuous bloat, which is now an increasing problem amongst more and more Linux distros. I moved over to Linux lite myself because I was previously using Linux Mint for many years but found their continuous bloat too much in the end. Finally I feel that to continue to call this OS Linux lite would be now misleading.

Of course I have investigated other Linux OSs as a result have found two which will run both on 32-bit and 64-bit PCs also without SSE2, and suit my needs. They are both based directly on Debian. My needs are little and I am not a gamer.
Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:19:57 AM by drrdf

« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2018, 05:43:20 PM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member

Whateverything: Thank you for your reply. What you suggest may be true; but if it is then I would think it goes against the ethos of Ubuntu, which seemed to concentrate on an OS for mainly third world PCs, which tend to be old?

« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2018, 06:41:46 PM »

Ottawagrant

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member

• Linux Lite: 3.8 64bit

• CPU: Intel Duo Core 2 E8600 @ 3.33GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Q45/Q43
To drrdf- I'm glad that Kubuntu, Lubuntu, or Xubuntu all have, with the Ubuntu 18.04 release, a 32bit version. I would not suggest using Kubuntu if you want a lighter OS. But with Lubuntu & Xubuntu 32bit is their core user base. Supported until April 2021. Can't beat that.
There was talk here about a year ago of doing a stripped down version of Linux Lite. Remove everything except the bare OS. Jerry has no time for it, and was not interested in the project. It was a community/fan based idea, and would have been run/supported by same. NOT for everyone, or someone new to Linux. But I thought it was an excellent idea. Maybe we can beat the drum & get some interest in getting the project going?

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2018, 05:17:56 AM »

drrdf

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member

Hi Ottawagrant,

Well in part that might be a good thing; but the remaining problem is SSE2. It seems very few 32-bit cpus support SSE2.

I have however found a solution myself. To continue to run a 32-bit PC without SSE2 the best OSs now are Q4OS and LXLE. Then if you use the browsers Midori, Qupzilla, QtWeb or TazWeb they seem to work in these OSs. (LXLE is supplied with SeaMonkey, but I find this slow and clumbsy.) I prefer Midori myself. Interestingly I found that Midori will not run in LinuxLIte on a 32-bit cpu without SSE2 for some reason, and almost instantly crashes. Since the last updates have been applied to version 3.8 I have found that Firefox and Synaptic Package manager continuously crash anyway on my 64-bit PC; this is probably due to faults resulting from changes in Ubuntu, but nevertheless it is all an example of, as real Engineers say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Software nerds have not yet learned that lesson.

Running my 64-bit dual core PC on LXDE there are none of these problems.
Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 08:59:46 AM by drrdf

« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2018, 05:43:01 PM »

jeffneedle

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member

• CPU: don't know

• MEMORY: 256mb

• VIDEO CARD: don't know
Is it possible to upgrade from 3.8 to 4 without a clean install?  Thanks.

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2018, 06:08:50 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • Freedom in Boxes

Is it possible to upgrade from 3.8 to 4 without a clean install?  Thanks.

No. Upgrades are within the same series number

Tags: bloat 

Linux Lite 4.0 Final has been released. See the Release Announcements Section.