You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 4.0 Beta Released

Author (Read 92195 times)

Re: Linux Lite 4.0 Beta Released
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 06:22:41 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Very innovative.

It will certainly help people like Searchernow.

I have downloaded LL 3.8 64bit -
on the Lite download page I see "MD5SUM: 4fbb8c5809631f768481716e56e5d066"
do I need to use this, and how do I?

Great job.

It was that thread that inspired me.

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 06:17:23 AM »

Mart

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T3000 @ 1.80GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

Very innovative.

It will certainly help people like Searchernow.

I have downloaded LL 3.8 64bit -
on the Lite download page I see "MD5SUM: 4fbb8c5809631f768481716e56e5d066"
do I need to use this, and how do I?

Great job.
Still running 3.8 and lovin' it  (running 5.0 as a triple boot)

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 05:11:12 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Working on an in-page MD5SUM checker for our Download page. After people have downloaded Linux Lite, they can drag and drop their LL ISO and check it straight away (no upload required), very cool.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:37:24 AM by Jerry »

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 10:12:34 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

@Mart I've seen your other post, all good, glad you got it sorted. :)

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 03:14:42 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Hi @lite098765 (and Welcome I guess ;) )

Don't think this will be possible, apt upgrade usually install standard stuff.
If I'm not mistaken, it's sudo apt-get dist-upgrade for a distribution upgrade.
Based on the name, I'm guessing this must be supported by the distribution which is not in Linux Lite 3.x to 4.x

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 02:52:55 PM »

lite098765

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Just wanted to say that I just kicked tires for an hour in Virtualbox, and everything worked like a charm. I have been using Ubuntu since 2005, and 18.04 finally made me look elsewhere due to Gnome3 bloat. I liked Unity7 a lot, but it's dead, and it's time to find new home. What you do with XFCE puts Xubuntu to shame. Thank you for your work!

I know the release note says there's no migration from beta, but shouldn't I be able to "apt upgrade" my way into release from this point?

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 12:48:31 PM »

Mart

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

But this is why, in the 4x series, having the whisker menu deliberately offset from the edge of the screen, with no visible separator accessible, just seems like another loss of customization and functionality.  So can this please be changed with the menu flush against the edge of the screen so that individual users can make this style and customization choice for themselves (or at least have a visible and accessible separator applied to the default style).

How do you mean 'offset'. It's always hugged the edge of the screen. You might need to give me more info here.

Hi Jerry

I meant the word 'offset' as a surveyor would use it - perpendicular but set away from (in this case) a vertical plane.

To illustrate -

This is the default look for the whisker menu in LL 3.8 - flush against the edge of the screen.

This is a customized whisker menu in LL 3.8 - set away from the edge of the screen by choice by using a visible and accessible panel separator.

This is the default look for the whisker menu in LL 4.0 beta - set away from the edge of the screen by default without any visible or accessible panel separator provided, therefore the default style is fixed and not customizable by the user.

My screen resolution, by the way, is 1366x768 which I believe is the same as the default resolution for LL 4.0 beta.

I hope the above makes sense and you did not find my feedback too fussy and annoying, and I hope that you will take it in the spirit of helpfulness with which it is provided.

Cheers!

Mart

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 12:03:28 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

But this is why, in the 4x series, having the whisker menu deliberately offset from the edge of the screen, with no visible separator accessible, just seems like another loss of customization and functionality.  So can this please be changed with the menu flush against the edge of the screen so that individual users can make this style and customization choice for themselves (or at least have a visible and accessible separator applied to the default style).

How do you mean 'offset'. It's always hugged the edge of the screen. You might need to give me more info here.

Also, love the look of Lite Tweaks in the 3x series, but the new version doesn’t look as good. The instructional text at the top is too large, and the active window text is not easily visible, even when reverting back to Droid Sans 10 point font (resizing the window doesn't help because it never stays). Is it too late to change this?

I'll see if others have a problem with this too, that is, is it a widely held view that requires action. Thanks for your feedback.

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 11:35:02 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

@Nyto how did you install pulseaudio-equalizer?
Settings Manager now is called Control Panel? - No, but on the Desktop it is. Our primary target audience is Windows users, not Linux folk so things need to be familiar.
Software updater didn't find available drivers for my system's graphics chip - what GPU?

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 11:30:08 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

@tek10 I'm aware of the GTK2/GTK3 thing, it was a deliberate decision to include those apps regardless due to their ease of use and simple UI, perfect for our target audience who aren't familiar with terms like GTK and may not be so savvy on the nuances in Linux yet. Cheers :)

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 08:23:14 PM »

Nyto

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-9700T

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel UHD Graphics 630

• Kernel: 4.x
Hi there!
I'm new at the forum, but have been a LinuxLite user for almost two years now, and wanted to include my impressions about the new beta.

Downloaded it, saved it to an USB drive via Etcher, installed it to an old HDD, and have been giving it a run. My findings were:

1.-The background used on boot (greyish?) looks waaaay better than the yellow one.

2.-I like my sound equalized, so I always install pulseaudio-equalizer, ...it didn't work on LL4.0  :'(

3.-Installed and tried FreeCAD, OpenShot, Audacity, FireJail (with Firetools). And all of them are working perfectly!

4.-It's great that LL now includes NotoSans as the default font. ;)

5.-Settings Manager now is called Control Panel?  ;D  a-la-windows-like?

6.-Software updater didn't find available drivers for my system's graphics chip, however back in ver. 3.8 I had no problem installing them.

7.-The default Adapta-Adapta theming shows nice colors, but is not very legible, so I switched to my usual Clearlooks and combined it with the Adapta window theme.

8.-I always utilize Iridium browser. I had no problem downloading it and installing it. Works like charm.

So far I have had no stability problems.
Boot-up is not as fast as on ver. 3.8, even as I followed Jerry's recommendations. Hoping that this is improved on the final release. Note: Messed up boot times are a recurring problem in the world of xxBuntus, so, bummer. :'(

I'll stay in touch.

Take care.
Pathological tweaker.

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 03:08:01 PM »

tek10

• Occasional Poster
  • Patreon Supporter
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-5800K

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon HD7660D

I installed LL 4.0 beta via usb stick to my testing desktop. Used Etcher on LL 3.8 to write the ISO to usb.

The install experience was simple and straight forward as I expected. Boot was reasonably fast and there were updates available. I’ve spent several hours last night and today testing as many applications as possible, changing settings, adding applications and making changes to a few of the defaults and configs. So far everything is working great!

My only issue is with some theme inconsistencies, which I’m sure are related to gtk2 vs gtk3. The primary and minor thing is the size difference of the window title bar and buttons on some apps. Font Viewer, Calculator and File Search all show this.

Replacing Gnome Calculator with Galculator solved the look for the calculator.

As I mentioned, only a very minor thing. Overall the look and performance are great and it’s exciting to look forward to the final 4.0 release.

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 01:00:41 PM »

buster

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel core duo

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: probably Intel on board
Installed 18.04 Lite Beta as a virtual inside VMWare. Same evening I installed Ubuntu and Ubuntu Mate 18.04.

Two installs were buggy and are gone. But Linux Lite runs perfectly. And it's supposedly a beta. Weird.

I use a virtual distro in Win 10 a lot, and thought you'd be pleased to read how well Lite performed.

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 09:50:01 AM »

Mart

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Just installed Linux Lite 4.0 beta on a 16 GB usb stick to check out the theming and overall look,  so I can't give any definitive report about performance, except to say that everything seems to work really well and it's pretty snappy even on the stick.

I read that with recent developments in GTK there’s been some loss of functionality in Ubuntu 18.04. For instance, the GTK Theme Configuration tool is no longer available, and the xfce panel Notification Plugin bricks my Psensor functionality, requiring a xkill keyboard shortcut to quit the app (none of Linux Lite’s fault, of course).

Also, love the look of Lite Tweaks in the 3x series, but the new version doesn’t look as good. The instructional text at the top is too large, and the active window text is not easily visible, even when reverting back to Droid Sans 10 point font (resizing the window doesn't help because it never stays). Is it too late to change this?

Having got all of that off my chest, have to say Respect to Jerry and his team for all the wonderful creativity and hard work that you put into Linux Lite. Many Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:17:28 AM by Mart »

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 10:30:40 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section