You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 3.0 Final Released

Author (Read 304993 times)

Re: Linux Lite 3.0 Final Released
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 01:14:08 AM »

bin

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Kernels - All previous, current and future Linux Lite Kernels will be available throughout Series 2 & 3, 4 and so on...

First of all I have to say a big thank you for all the work that has gone in to LL over the years. I've found it to be stable and utterly reliable.

Trying out various 16.04 distros over the past few months has shown up a major block for using linux into the future on my HP laptop. All kernels after 3.19 send my cpu fan into 100% speed all the time no matter what the linux version. So seeing the line about previous kernels being available I just wanted to double check that it does mean just that - so I should be able to install a 3.13 kernel on LL 3.0? If so then that makes me a very happy bunny :)

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 01:04:16 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
@zygmunto, my thanks to the great artist :)

You Profile has been changed to 'Donator'.

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 11:57:12 PM »

zygmunto

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Celeron N3350

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD 500
All runs well for me.Will donate.Thanks to all LL Team.

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 09:42:48 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Reminder - don't forget to update your Forum profile to Linux Lite 3.0 if you are now running it.
From the Menu at the top of the Forums - Profile, Forum Profile, scroll down to Linux Lite and change it there.

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 08:31:48 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Nice work Jerry & the Team.

Installed it to a 32GB USB stick, set it to download updates etc. during the install but it didn't do that for some reason.
Runs fast, should be good on a hard-drive install.
Couple of changes I've discovered so far, I can't reduce the number of recently used entries in Whisker to 0 anymore, 5 is the lowest.
I see it now uses the buttons from whatever theme is in use as backgrounds for the indicator plugin icons, but it still messes with the display of the panel behind that & the date/time plugin.
When copying files & the file operation progress box is shown I can't minimise the folder window to just show the copying progress box, it goes minimised too, only way to have it shown without the window up as well is close the window.
This only happens working on the volume LL3 is installed on, to or from another volume it works as expected, the window can be minimised & the progress box stays up.
Maximised or normal window makes no difference.

Just a few things I've noticed with it that's different to LL2.8.
Some of it I imagine would be XFCE stuff like the panel behind the indicators etc..
The progressbar/box behaviour I didn't see with the beta.

One the whole I think it's pretty impressive  8)

A little off-topic I guess but I think still relevant...sort of...with the install process (Something Else) I had to tell the installer not to reformat my existing system swap (by setting it to 'do not use') even though that was on a different partition to the blank USB I was installing to, in fact I've noticed that several times when doing a manual install of some distros.
If it's missed & the existing swap gets formatted it must set it to swapoff as I find the existing system shows 0 swap when that system is running again & it has to be set to swapon via G-Parted so swap gets used again.
That's something I've seen with LL & Mint installers & I think I saw it with Debian installer too when I was playing around with it a while ago.

Thanks for the feedback JmaCWQ. Taken on board :)

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 08:18:41 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Congrats and thanks to Jerry and the Team for a fantastic job. Just finished installing LL3.0

Thanks TMG1961 :)

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 08:17:03 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Tks to the team yet again!!  32 bit installed from DVD - smooth onto Fuji Si1520.   Keyboard workaround  ( Language and Keyboard settings) to UK. needed before wifi connection could be made. Updates installed.  All running smoothly and seems very fast response... Great Job!!

Thank you newtusmaximus :)

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 08:16:22 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Jerry & Team

Many Thanks... Great job... Much Appreciated

LLLL
(Long Live Linux Lite)

Thanks Dave :)

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 08:15:54 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

LL 3.0 64 bit.

This must be the quickest and easiest installation I have ever done of any Linux distribution.

The installation was just flawless.

Congrats and thanks to Jerry and the Team for a fantastic job.

Donation sent.

Jocklad  :) :) :) :) :)

Thank you Jocklad :)

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 07:06:17 PM »

arxontas

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon (TM) 64 processor 3500+

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) G33 x86/MMX/SSE2
New to LL here but because  i have to do many settings, (and i do not know how) i will stay with 2.8
3.0 looking good and running well .The 2.8 will do the work for me even if i do not get any more updates .i run it only for ham-radio programs any way.
To the team i will say this.
Keep up the good work
thanks
arxontas

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 06:10:03 PM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Nice work Jerry & the Team.

Installed it to a 32GB USB stick, set it to download updates etc. during the install but it didn't do that for some reason.
Runs fast, should be good on a hard-drive install.
Couple of changes I've discovered so far, I can't reduce the number of recently used entries in Whisker to 0 anymore, 5 is the lowest.
I see it now uses the buttons from whatever theme is in use as backgrounds for the indicator plugin icons, but it still messes with the display of the panel behind that & the date/time plugin.
When copying files & the file operation progress box is shown I can't minimise the folder window to just show the copying progress box, it goes minimised too, only way to have it shown without the window up as well is close the window.
This only happens working on the volume LL3 is installed on, to or from another volume it works as expected, the window can be minimised & the progress box stays up.
Maximised or normal window makes no difference.

Just a few things I've noticed with it that's different to LL2.8.
Some of it I imagine would be XFCE stuff like the panel behind the indicators etc..
The progressbar/box behaviour I didn't see with the beta.

One the whole I think it's pretty impressive  8)

A little off-topic I guess but I think still relevant...sort of...with the install process (Something Else) I had to tell the installer not to reformat my existing system swap (by setting it to 'do not use') even though that was on a different partition to the blank USB I was installing to, in fact I've noticed that several times when doing a manual install of some distros.
If it's missed & the existing swap gets formatted it must set it to swapoff as I find the existing system shows 0 swap when that system is running again & it has to be set to swapon via G-Parted so swap gets used again.
That's something I've seen with LL & Mint installers & I think I saw it with Debian installer too when I was playing around with it a while ago.

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 05:10:31 PM »

Lend27

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i7-4790K

• VIDEO CARD: NVidia GTX760
I don't really understand the removal of Lite Control Centre either, it was a well liked feature. Also the removal of the Games menu is a detriment to me, although it can be created manually it is a disappointment it's not there by default. Not too keen on the new login screen either, the old one was much better.
I'm sticking with 2.8 for now I think, although I may install 3.0 on a separate drive to try out. If I still don't like it I'm afraid it's back to distro hopping after 2.8 is no longer supported.

Same here. The Lite Control Center really made Linux Lite stand out from the rest.
I agree I think I will stick with 2.8, the changes in 3.0 aren't very significant and actually take it back a step.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 04:40:12 PM »

ptyerman

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Core i7 920

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon RX580
I don't really understand the removal of Lite Control Centre either, it was a well liked feature. Also the removal of the Games menu is a detriment to me, although it can be created manually it is a disappointment it's not there by default. Not too keen on the new login screen either, the old one was much better.
I'm sticking with 2.8 for now I think, although I may install 3.0 on a separate drive to try out. If I still don't like it I'm afraid it's back to distro hopping after 2.8 is no longer supported.

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 04:02:04 PM »

Lend27

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Nevermind, I figured it out :-)

I copied the dark versions form another distro and put them in the /usr/share/icons folder.
Worked like a charm, and no dependency issues.
Once that worked, I then added some other icons that I like, and all are showing fine in the Appearance menu.

Now if only I could find a way to install the Linux Lite Control Center!  :)

Len :)

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 03:42:12 PM »

Lend27

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I changed to the Arc-Dark theme but there is no Dark version of the Faenza Icons. When I try to install Faenza-Icon-Theme it says it can't install it because of the Faenza plain icons already installed.
How do I get the Faenza Dark icons to go with the Arc-Dark theme? The system tray icons will not show properly without it.

Thanks!
Len

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section