You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 2.4 Beta Released

Author (Read 65107 times)

Re: Linux Lite 2.4 Beta Released
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2015, 03:01:46 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x

Just as a matter of interest, do the gurus behind each distro ever "talk" to each other. I get the impression that in some areas LL is having to reinvent the wheel as it were? My usual comment that the default set up process for Mint & Puppy  means that keyboard & Language work straight off, and the problem with Google Earth and video card drivers does not raise its head.  This is not meant to be a criticism but  hopefully a helpful prompt??  Says he who has never coded anything in his life:)

Some devs do communicate with each other, remember linux is all about choice. It's a catch22, unify and seek common ground and users will benefit (self explanatory), keep the status quo and the users benefit (give people options). Continued discussion on this best suited to On Topic.

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2015, 02:53:06 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Bugs page now restored to new host - https://www.linuxliteos.com/bugs/

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 12:03:46 PM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

Thank you for your feedback, to address your points:

1) Keyboard settings - Has been brought up many times, in many posts. We're yet to find a solution.

2) Language Support - This is related to point 1. Therefore we provide a comprehensive tutorial in the Help Manual.

Just as a matter of interest, do the gurus behind each distro ever "talk" to each other. I get the impression that in some areas LL is having to reinvent the wheel as it were? My usual comment that the default set up process for Mint & Puppy  means that keyboard & Language work straight off, and the problem with Google Earth and video card drivers does not raise its head.  This is not meant to be a criticism but  hopefully a helpful prompt??  Says he who has never coded anything in his life:)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 01:07:51 PM by newtusmaximus »
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 10:34:17 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
@Yoru3,

Thanks for taking the time to write-up your review of LL and for constructive suggestions.  Much appreciated and input like that from users is key to LL's continued improvement over time.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 06:59:25 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

What 'Network Share Setting' doesn't do (but could) is
a) create the share directory /home/username/share, and set permissions.
b) add the user to /etc/smbusers ie. <username> = “<username>”
c) give the smbuser a password, with sudo smbpasswd -a username

Agreed, we could certainly do this better, and will look to in the future. Overall sharing between windows and linux has been traditionally difficult, we'll always aim to simplify the process :)

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 06:56:21 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Having gone through the install process several times now, I thought I'd make some notes, and for what they're worth these are those:-

1)  There appears to be a problem with keyboard settings, which I think was there in 2.2. Despite automatically recognising English(UK) to be correct during the install process, that setting did not persist. Use of the keyboard and investigation of the keyboard settings showed it to be English(US), which of course is all wrong for the UK, so had to set manually.

2)  A related issue was Language Support. Again the language was set to English(US) and had to be set manually using the drag and drop facility. When I pushed the 'Apply System Wide' the application actually crashed. So I loaded it up again and selected the just as important part 'Regional Formats'.
IMHO this should actually be in the main settings menu, not in a fairly obscure tab of a separate application. This is a good example of what is important to the user. If it is wrong, which it was, again English(US), when say an existing spread sheet is loaded up, it will inherit the wrong regional formats. Even worse, cells will not be changed retrospectively after the system regional formats are corrected. Thus it's very important to the user to get these thing correct from the onset, which could be better ensured by making the setting more prominent in the main settings.

3) 'Network Connections' appeared twice n the whisker menu, and the 'Restart Network Shares Server' was missing.
Normally I set up the network shares manually, but decided to use the 'Network Share Settings' from  the whisker menu. It appears that this merely allows the edit of the /etc/samba/smb.conf file.
The parameters are the same as I normally use, except I add
name resolve order = bcast host
after the specific workgroup entry, which helps on a network with Windows machines, and always make the netbios name unique, as long as it begins with alpha, is alpha numeric only, and is less than 15 characters. Actually 18 but best to be safe.

4) One final point, which is really more of a suggestion. I believe it would be best for new users to have the default style of Raleigh in the appearance settings. Although very similar to the present default it has the arrows on the vertical scroll bars which would enhance initial user experience. For the seasoned user it is of course just a couple of clicks to change.

BTW looking forward to the version update facility, which will make life a lot easier.

Best Regards
Colin

Thank you for your feedback, to address your points:

1) Keyboard settings - Has been brought up many times, in many posts. We're yet to find a solution.

2) Language Support - This is related to point 1. Therefore we provide a comprehensive tutorial in the Help Manual.

3) Network Connections - This is deliberate, it's default home is the Settings Menu, it was also inserted into the Internet menu to help newbies intuitively find any settings related to controlling their Internet access.

4) Default style of Raleigh - Unlikely to change to this. We have a 'look' that we've used for a long time, this is one of the features that gives LL it's identity, a way to recognise it. Think of it like BP going from using green and yellow in their logo to pink and orange.

Thanks for putting 2.4 Beta through it's paces :)

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 05:54:14 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
What is 'Xiphos' we don't offer that in LL 2.4

Hello!

Xiphos is a Bible program that is very similar to BibleTime. If festival is installed, it will speak the text to you.

Unfortunately, the latest version of Xiphos will not allow you to install the bibles needed for it to work. I install Xiphos, then I manually load in about 1.5 GB of offline stuff that I keep around for it. If anyone wants those files, I can put them 'in the cloud'...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 09:32:24 AM »

Yoru3

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Server2 - AMD E2KM1I-DELUX ITX, 1.6Ghz dual core

• VIDEO CARD: Integrated HD 6310

Been running Linux Lite 2.4beta for while now in my usual VMware virtual environment, which is all part of my long term migration plan from MS Windows.

Overall it looks good, and when I say good I mean not just compared with other Linux Lite versions, but with just about all other distros that I've tried. The current count is over a dozen, ranging from Mint, Ubuntu, Debian and Lubuntu to the more obscure AV Linux, CAELinux, KXStudio and Zorin.

As I'm sure others have found, when you do this you fairly soon realise that the league tables on say distrowatch.com have very little to do with quality, by whatever criteria you choose. Many still seem to be built by gurus for gurus, with the worst just dropping you into a hard disk partition application, with no clues of how to proceed. Even some of the leaders are terrible at usability and just don't seem to consider normal users, or show very much sign of having considered the new user experience.

IMHO this is where Linux Lite wins. Its obvious that its been configured with real users in mind. Microsoft knew this was of paramount importance many years ago. Yet some linux distros are needlessly compromised with the lack of commonly required facilities on an easily accessible menu, or in the case of Lubuntu even the basics such as samba, make and gcc were not installed.

All these shortfalls can of course be easily rectified by those with the know how. But for a new user, particularly those trying to migrate from other systems, they can be very time wasting and destroy confidence.

So that was the praise bit, but now IMHO it's all about attention to detail and making one of the best even better.

Having gone through the install process several times now, I thought I'd make some notes, and for what they're worth these are those:-

1)  There appears to be a problem with keyboard settings, which I think was there in 2.2. Despite automatically recognising English(UK) to be correct during the install process, that setting did not persist. Use of the keyboard and investigation of the keyboard settings showed it to be English(US), which of course is all wrong for the UK, so had to set manually.

2)  A related issue was Language Support. Again the language was set to English(US) and had to be set manually using the drag and drop facility. When I pushed the 'Apply System Wide' the application actually crashed. So I loaded it up again and selected the just as important part 'Regional Formats'.
IMHO this should actually be in the main settings menu, not in a fairly obscure tab of a separate application. This is a good example of what is important to the user. If it is wrong, which it was, again English(US), when say an existing spread sheet is loaded up, it will inherit the wrong regional formats. Even worse, cells will not be changed retrospectively after the system regional formats are corrected. Thus it's very important to the user to get these thing correct from the onset, which could be better ensured by making the setting more prominent in the main settings.

3) 'Network Connections' appeared twice n the whisker menu, and the 'Restart Network Shares Server' was missing.
Normally I set up the network shares manually, but decided to use the 'Network Share Settings' from  the whisker menu. It appears that this merely allows the edit of the /etc/samba/smb.conf file.
The parameters are the same as I normally use, except I add
name resolve order = bcast host
after the specific workgroup entry, which helps on a network with Windows machines, and always make the netbios name unique, as long as it begins with alpha, is alpha numeric only, and is less than 15 characters. Actually 18 but best to be safe.

4) One final point, which is really more of a suggestion. I believe it would be best for new users to have the default style of Raleigh in the appearance settings. Although very similar to the present default it has the arrows on the vertical scroll bars which would enhance initial user experience. For the seasoned user it is of course just a couple of clicks to change.

BTW looking forward to the version update facility, which will make life a lot easier.

Best Regards
Colin
I know you believe you understand what you think I said. But I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
:Communication Theory

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 06:38:42 AM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Pentium E5700 3GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce GT 430
Just installed the beta version.
I really dont like is the way of the updates..the blue bar running from left to right and back is getting on my nerves.
Havent found anything that isnt working so far
Haha, OK. I guess we can do something about that. :)

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 03:12:15 AM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U

• VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

Re. pulsate progress bar, we'll see if we can change that in a future update. Cheers.

THanks

As far as I can tell the Zenity progress bar in the updates-gui isn't receiving the numbers needed to make the bar progress and that is why you are seeing the back and forth "pulsate" action. more about zenity progress dialog here:  https://help.gnome.org/users/zenity/stable/progress.html.en

I thought it was supposed to be like that.
Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 05:13:29 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Re. pulsate progress bar, we'll see if we can change that in a future update. Cheers.

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 08:32:42 PM »

avj

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD/ATI RC410 Radeon Xpress 200/1100
As far as I can tell the Zenity progress bar in the updates-gui isn't receiving the numbers needed to make the bar progress and that is why you are seeing the back and forth "pulsate" action. more about zenity progress dialog here:  https://help.gnome.org/users/zenity/stable/progress.html.en
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 06:17:36 PM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U

• VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

Just installed the beta version.
I really dont like is the way of the updates..the blue bar running from left to right and back is getting on my nerves.
Havent found anything that isnt working so far
Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 11:57:31 AM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Some nice surprises in the new edition !
HP DV7 i7 2670QM 500.1GB 8GB Ram Dual-Boot LL2.4 Beta / Extix 15.1.1 64-bit 
Dell Inspiron 1720 CrunchBang 11

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 11:40:34 AM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
 8) The new terminal theme is excellent! So easy on the eyes. Thanks.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section