You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 2.0 Beta Released

Author (Read 120354 times)

Re: Linux Lite 2.0 Beta released
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 05:55:26 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Congrats, Valtam! Hope the free publicity brings a lot of new folks your way. The only issue I've noticed so far it that it doesn't want to come back on after I close the laptop lid and reopen it. All I get is a cursor and a black screen. (IOW, the screen isn't unlocking, or even prompting me for a password to unlock it.)

As for Wirezfree, can't he just go into Menu > Settings > Main Menu (Alacarte) and rename the affected menu entries as necessary? Does 'Restore System Configuration' still amount to 'the kiss of death'? If so, there's SURELY got be some kind of way to change the default menu structure to match yours - even if it involves altering the Alacarte source code...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:44:38 PM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 05:01:37 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Just got this email from Sourceforge, couldn't be better timing :)

Quote from: Sourceforge
Dear SourceForge project admin,

Your project will be featured on the front page of SourceForge.net for the week of May 19, 2014. Projects are chosen based on a variety of considerations, such as recent releases, interesting blog activity, or other related things.

Front page features tend to result in increased traffic to your project page, so you may want to take this opportunity to make sure you have the latest project description, screenshots, and project logo.

Also, since some of you may have more than one project, I've listed all the featured projects below (in no particular order - the list is random order on the front page), so that you'll know which one, and who you'll be sharing the page with.

Thanks for being part of the SourceForge community!

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 04:51:29 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

2. Is there a fix in 2.0 for the "Locale Change" issue...
    Changing the locale to "English UK" causes the main menu items names for "Install Updates" & "Help Manual" to change.?

Many Thanks
Dave

We can't test all locales, try a test run install in a virtualbox first to find out.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 03:15:21 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
On #1, generally not as the base system is installed and it will update to final.  Not always but generally.  Can't help on the locale issue...

Hi NGIB,

Thanks...
I suspect you are correct...

Dave
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »

NGIB

On #1, generally not as the base system is installed and it will update to final.  Not always but generally.  Can't help on the locale issue...

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 02:49:40 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Hope it's O.K to ask this here.?

1. I would like to try 2.0 Beta on one of my PC's, if I install it, will it need a new install when "Final" is released.?

2. Is there a fix in 2.0 for the "Locale Change" issue...
    Changing the locale to "English UK" causes the main menu items names for "Install Updates" & "Help Manual" to change.?

Many Thanks
Dave
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 01:42:55 PM »

NGIB

I've installed on 2 different laptops, an HP netbook style with AMD E-350 and 3GB RAM, and an HP Elitebook Core I-5 with 4GB RAM.  Install went smoothly on both.  System is running well on both and I've added/removed software to turn them into my "standard" configuration.  My next test is to run relinux on the Core I-5 machine and create an ISO I can use to move this standard config to other machines...

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 04:02:41 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello, Valtam!

I have download both ISOs, and they passed the MD5 hash checks. I'll try 'em out on the 'kids', and get back to you folks on the forum about them...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

Linux Lite 2.0 Beta Released
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Release Announcement

Linux Lite 2.0 Codename 'Beryl' Beta is now available for download and testing.

This build is the work of 4 months of constant development and the implementation of the best ideas from the team and the wider community. This also marks the beginning of our own repositories for our custom software so that changes and improvements to the operating system can be offered regularly. Now Lite User Manager, Lite Manual, Lite Software ( Install Additional Software and Remove Additional Software) and Lite Fix can evolve more easily to meet the needs of the user.

In this release we wanted to combine the newest versions of well established and supported software like LibreOffice, Wine and Gimp so that people have access to the latest features in those programs. In Linux Lite 2.0 you get the carefully crafted combination of current software in certain programs on top of a stable operating system. We think this is the happy medium people are looking for between long term support whilst also having 'the newest stuff'.

Changelog:

Firefox 29
Kernel 3.13.0-24
Linux Lite Repositories
Lite User Manager, Lite Manual, Lite Software and Lite Fix
Easier Volume control
Terminal windows have custom title bars
New 'lighter' theme
New system font - Droid Sans
New Software - Lite Fix: a tool for new users to easily fix common issues without needing to go to the command line (see end of post)
New boot screen design
The latest software from - LibreOffice, Gimp and some of the software from Install Additional Software (see below)
Install Additional Software now offers the latest: Wine, Chrome, Chromium, Netflix, Skype, Teamviewer and XBMC.

Source links:

Lite User Manager - https://github.com/linuxlite/liteusermanager
Lite Software - https://github.com/linuxlite/litesoftware
Lite Manual - https://github.com/linuxlite/litemanual
Lite Fix - https://github.com/linuxlite/litefix

Both of these iso's come in at 699mb, that's cutting it close to mark when it comes to fitting a modern operating system onto a cd.
As a result we've had to search the entire filesystem for where we can make savings. One of those areas was the icon cache files. To regenerate these cache files which should give you a performance boost, enter the following command after a fresh install of Linux Lite 2.0 Beta:

Code: [Select]
sudo su

gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/Faenza/ && gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/gnome/ && gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/Humanity && gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/Humanity-Dark/

HTTP:
Download 32bit from here - Linux Lite 2.0 32bit beta
md5sum: 68fbb8eff2a4e51b1ce4c319a5891b57

Download 64bit from here - Linux Lite 2.0 64bit beta
md5sum: 06d43211461d0981eb71e9713915c885

TORRENTS:
32bit Torrent from here - linux-lite-2.0-beta-32bit.iso.torrent
Hash: e6f8f65dfba0127f6f391a97ea49533fb0618d7b

64bit Torrent from here - linux-lite-2.0-beta-64bit.iso.torrent
Hash: 549d20bf46fb040fa83521a2643518395c7397c9

Live USB/DVD/VirtualBox/Vmware: Login is automatic, no credentials required.
The image can be written to a 2gb or larger USB stick, or a writable CD or DVD.
Alternatively, you can use the dd command: sudo dd if=linux-lite-2.0-beta-32bit.iso of=/dev/sdx bs=4M where 'x' is the letter of your usb stick.
In linux to find out the letter of your usb stick, open a terminal and type: df -h It is usually listed as 'media' or similar.
Please see the built in Help & Support manual if you require a more detailed explanation of this procedure.

There is no upgrade process from one Linux Lite version to the next because of all the in-between modifications. If 1.0.6 or 1.0.8 is working well for you stick to that, otherwise you will have to clean install 2.0. The Help Manual is a work in progress and will update over the course of the beta. The dark theme is still available from the Settings Manager for those who prefer it, but you will notice that volume icon in the tray appears white, this is a theming issue. All Ubuntu 32bit kernels these days ship with PAE, we will not be creating any more PAE builds, it's time to move on.

Recommended Hardware/Minimal System requirements:

700 MHz processor+
512 MiB RAM+
5 GB of hard-drive space+
VGA capable of 1024x768 screen resolution
Either a CD drive or a USB port for the iso

Login to the live desktop is automatic.

The first thing you MUST do after a fresh install of Linux Lite is run Menu, Install Updates.

Lite Fix: This is a tool for new users to easily fix common issues without needing to go to the command line. As common issues come to the fore, a fix for these will be added as a new menu entry into Lite Fix. (Lite fix is not installed by default because there are no fixes available in the program yet)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:36:53 PM by Teddy5090 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section