You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 2.2 Beta Released

Author (Read 93661 times)

Re: Linux Lite 2.2 Beta Released
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2015, 03:48:36 PM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Well , after a while , out with 2.2 Beta , in with LL 2.2 Final .
HP DV7 i7 2670QM 500.1GB 8GB Ram Dual-Boot LL2.4 Beta / Extix 15.1.1 64-bit 
Dell Inspiron 1720 CrunchBang 11

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2015, 04:17:39 PM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Oddly enough , came back to Beat 1 after tested Final , liked beta better , don t ask , I don t know why ! lol

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2014, 08:04:56 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

I'm having this issue on my Dell Inspiron 3135. Will reinstall 2.2 on it, and see if your suggestions help any...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2014, 07:25:24 PM »

Mike

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Enthusiast
    • View Profile
It may have something to do with the filesystem used. I'm using btrfs and only have a 3 second shutdown. There could possibly be some options to add to your fstab to improve performance as well.

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Out of curiosity, did some looking into the "slow shutdown" issue because I've seen multiple posts about that (mainly in Mint forums).  Seems like there is no "one" fix for everyone and you may have already tried most/all of below, but here are some things to look at:

1.  Can't remember where I read it nor find the post, but from memory I seem to think someone said that if they used shutdown from the main Menu they had the problem.  But if they added "Action Buttons" to the panel and used that instead, they didn't have the problem.  No idea why that worked, but something to look into if you haven't already.

2.  Someone claiming success by adding boot option "splash=verbose nomodeset".

3.  Saw a number of posts from people with Broadcom wireless cards who claimed uninstalling all broadcom, then reinstalling only the necessary driver  worked for them.  Suggest if this applies to you to use this page to find out exact driver that applies for you first.

4.  Two posts describing ways that might help diagnose what's going on during shutdown that may give clue as to what's wrong:
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2014, 04:27:08 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Don't know what long shutdown problem might be -- sorry -- but have a feeling that the video is just running the same commands that Boot-Repair would do for you in converting to UEFI from a Legacy install:  Converting Ubuntu into EFI or Legacy mode.  Probably would have been much easier that way.

Hello!

I'm sure you're correct about that. At least I caught the fatal error in the video, though!

It DOES boot faster with UEFI, but still having the L-O-N-G delay (more than a minute) before the 'Log Out' screen appears. Someone suggested pressing CTRL-ALT-F2 and then CTRL-ALT-F7, which brings up the logout box post haste.

This bug does not seem to occur on other Ubuntu LiveCDs such as Ubuntu (Unity) or MATE Remix. In all fairness, I haven't tried this with Lubuntu or Xubuntu proper yet, so I won't have a full picture until I do. However, it would seem that fixing LL to boot in UEFI mode will NOT fix the failure to shut down or reboot properly on UEFI systems. Funny.  If I click on 'Switch Users', the logon screen appears, from which one can reboot or shut down with no issues.

If this proves to be XFCE-related, it may be something you folks can't solve. From what I have seen online, this issue seems to have been going on with Xubuntu for over a year now, with no fix in sight. The fix that comments out 'Xubuntu' from /etc/upstart-xsessions' does nothing to fix this. So far, it's either click 'Switch User' and log off THAT WAY or press CTRL-ALT-F2/CTRL-ALT-F7 to get to the logout screen...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:48:54 AM by N4RPS »

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2014, 02:49:58 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
N4RPS,

Don't know what long shutdown problem might be -- sorry -- but have a feeling that the video is just running the same commands that Boot-Repair would do for you in converting to UEFI from a Legacy install:  Converting Ubuntu into EFI or Legacy mode.  Probably would have been much easier that way.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2014, 11:21:57 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

This 'UEFI on 2.0/2.2' procedure in the YouTube video didn't work for me, either. Here's why:

All was well until the stuff he mounted in the terminal on the Ubuntu LiveDVD didn't mount for me. Things went downhill from there - dependency issues (some could be fixed, others could not), and the like.

In dude's video, he types: 'for i in /dev/ /dev/pts/ s /proc/ /sys;'. To get the command to work, I had to change this to 'for i in /dev /dev/pts/ s /proc/ /sys;'. He also fails to mention that you need to be online before executing 'apt-get update', but that's a no-brainer.

Later, when 'apt-get purge -y --force-yes grub* shim-signed linux-signed*' is executed, it needs linux-image to install linux-image-extra, but linux-image isn't called. This creates a dependency issue that requires 'apt-get -f install' to fix. After that, I reissued the purge command, and the rest of the procedure seemed to function properly.

It now boots in UEFI, but it still has the same issue with it that legacy mode does - it takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R for the logoff menu to come up - so long it makes you think it's locked up. I'll try booting the LiveCD with some ACPI parameters, and see what happens...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:17:03 AM by N4RPS »

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2014, 10:56:51 AM »

ChrisL

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

As some other folks have indicated, I will probably not be at a point very soon where a I will want to do a full release/install to upgrade to 2.2, however there have been some great discussions about some of the changes and additions in 2.2, such as the archiver (I believe file roller is "in" and xarchiver is "out"?), back-up programs, etc.  I suspect that when the final release is out software changes and additions will be listed out?

While I am not looking to upgrade to a new release soon, I have been looking at back-up programs, etc. and if the LL Software installer had the option to install some of these new choices that would be awesome.  The ability to easily add (for example) a back-up program that is known to work well with LL would be very useful. 

Chris

« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »

Mike

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Jerry: You may want to remove catfish from the software installer since it looks like it's part of 2.2 now.

Edit: Nevermind. I just remembered if users are on an older version they still might want it installed. Duh.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:17:39 PM by mlsmith »

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2014, 07:59:51 PM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
You bet , we ll wait on devs on that .

Guess we ll have to make some backups & reinstall newer installs & put in our stuff in there afterward .

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2014, 07:53:06 PM »

Mike

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Enthusiast
    • View Profile
From what I can tell, Ubuntu LTS is the software base and is supported for 3 years even though LL's web site says 5. The additional LL specific software may require re-installation but I'm confused because the 2.0 release notes say they have their own repo now: "This also marks the beginning of our own repositories for our custom software so that changes and improvements to the operating system can be offered regularly."

Oh well...I'll wait for one of the devs to chime in.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:55:18 PM by mlsmith »

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2014, 07:46:13 PM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
On LL Help page it s written this :

Operating System:

Current Release Name: Linux Lite 2.0
Architecture: 32bit and 64bit
Software Base: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

The Software Base is LTS as stated above , I guess I ll need a turnaround on fixes & bugs or whatever will be needed .

Gee , now I m confused ! lol

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2014, 07:43:13 PM »

Mike

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Aspects of LL are updated including new things , examples being Add/Remove Software GUI improvements were available via install updates.
New tools such as 'Lite Cleaner' which were not part of LL2.0 are also available via install Updates.
Installing updates to the OS being the "parts".

That's my take on it as well. I'm thinking that if a user wants new stuff and doesn't want to reinstall, they will need to wait 5 years for the next LTS. lol.

Also you are right about rolling release. Arch Linux is an example. You install it once and continually get updates whenever they are available.

Edit: Or two years, rather. Ubuntu LTS is every 2 years but supported for 3 on desktop and 5 on server. I'm thinking the devs may want to update the language on the LL web site.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:46:30 PM by mlsmith »

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2014, 07:39:59 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
LL 2.0 is LTS until 2019.

I am not good with jargon.
Google tells me -
'Rolling release' is where an OS version is changed without a fresh install.
'Standard release' is where an OS version is changed by a fresh install.
Based on this LL is a 'Standard Install' OS.
Installing OS being changing the "whole".

Aspects of LL are updated including new things , examples being Add/Remove Software GUI improvements were available via install updates.
New tools such as 'Lite Cleaner' which were not part of LL2.0 are also available via install Updates.
Installing updates to the OS being the "parts".

I am sure one of the staff will clarify things more exact and concisely, using the correct terminology.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section