You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Updates / [ SOLVED ] Packag Cache Information - CDROM
« Last post by Octogenarian on April 08, 2024, 12:16:12 PM »
===========================
Install Updates Error log
===========================
Install Updates could not fetch the package cache information lists.
Go to https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/ and paste the log below into the Software - Support - Updates section for assistance.

============ Log ===========

Ign:1 cdrom://Linux Lite 6.6 - Release amd64 dists/ InRelease
Ign:2 cdrom://Linux 22.04 - Release amd64 dists/ InRelease
Err:3 cdrom://Linux Lite 6.6 - Release amd64 dists/ Release
  Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Err:4 cdrom://Linux 22.04 - Release amd64 dists/ Release
  Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Hit:5 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy InRelease
Hit:6 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu jammy InRelease
Hit:7 http://repo.linuxliteos.com/linuxlite fluorite InRelease
Hit:8 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports InRelease
Hit:9 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security InRelease
Hit:10 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates InRelease
Hit:11 https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mkusb/ppa/ubuntu jammy InRelease
Reading package lists...
E: The repository 'cdrom://Linux Lite 6.6 - Release amd64 dists/ Release' does not have a Release file.
E: The repository 'cdrom://Linux 22.04 - Release amd64 dists/ Release' does not have a Release file.
Installing Software / Re: Error while trying to install something on the terminal
« Last post by Edimion on April 08, 2024, 12:13:19 PM »

I was trying to boost my clock speed because my cpu, was running at 1.6ghz, only made things worst :(

Sadly ,the things goes worst when you tried to speed up your cpu...

Yes, reinstall is better but perhaps gaas installed other programs without the terminal, and those packages could be found in your BROWSING HISTORY of your web browser

Well ,that's too personal info but if it's possible you should share the info only about programs, tips you tried and that video of youtube..
Installing Software / Re: Error while trying to install something on the terminal
« Last post by stevef on April 08, 2024, 11:58:35 AM »
You may be getting distracted by cpufrequtils.
From what I've read here, it seems the problem relates to dependencies associated with linux-tools-common.
cpufrequtils doesn't have any link (as far as I can see) to linux-tools-common

I don't think that cpufrequtils got installed - the uninstall command couldn't find it.
Il pacchetto "cpufrequtils" non è installato e quindi non è stato rimosso
Trying to install cpufrequtils may have been the first time you noted apt reporting a problem.

The inference I make is that something installed *before* cpufrequtils has caused the dependency issue.

If you search the command line history before cpufrequtils, you may find something.
Or if you were using the GUI, we may need to look into other logs.

Unless we find the root cause, we can't try to fix it.
It may be more efficient to re-install.
« Last post by gaas on April 08, 2024, 11:08:38 AM »
Hi!

First question you need to answer:
What is the goal you are aiming at with cpufrequtils?
In other words: What do you expect to get from it? What real problem you want to solve using this program?
Defining very clearly what you want to get, increases the available choices to do it.
There are lots of programs that do basically the same thing (serve the same purpose).
Choosing the best, bolis down to what do you know to do with it.
Making it simple:
It is unlikely that you will be able to comb your hair, using your shoes. You need a comb to do that.

As a final touch:
Knowing what to do with whatever piece of software, means:
- How do I install it?
- How do I uninstall it?
- How can I use it?
- What kind of trouble can I get into using it?
- How do I fix the system in case it breaks down?
Still! Nobody knows everything about everything.
It applies to me, to you, to anybody on this Forum, including Jerry.
Yet, each one might have an idea.
In order to gather info, you need a starting point.
This is usually the answer to the initial question:
What is the goal I am  aiming at with ... [package name, or program]
In this case,  cpufrequtils.
Here is what it does:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/cpufrequtils
So, this is why I asked you in the previous message if you know enough to tinker with the Linux Kernel.
If you belive that overclocking your CPU will solve anything, you are on a very dangerous path.
It usually leads to frying either the CPU, the RAM or the mainboard. Sometimes, all three.
Unless you are an expert in hardware testing beyond the factory specifications boundaries. Are you?

Best regards, Șerban!

I was trying to boost my clock speed because my cpu, was running at 1.6ghz, only made things worst :(
Well, I respect your point of view Mr.Şerban but this is not mainly about you and your worthy effort to spread this brand..

Also I'm not trying to criticize how good or bad the brand Linux Lite were promoted.

Obviously, this is not my native language and I "say" I'm sorry if I "sound" harsh

But, well, talking to this topic ,for example How people this days (2024)
how they promote their own brand?
Even if they are not young ,they use MEMES and some of that "cultural" perhaps more geek point of view

I consider myself someone really boring, also I'm trying to use memes and more of that "culture" in my own projects, but I'm just someone really far for the projects of Linux Lite.

We (every people) could discuss forever but virals, memes ,for example are the main focus of Facebook .I know many people that use only that social media for those hobbies. Believe it or not "formal" serious people know it .https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/world-full-advertisers-memer-tradeflock-crjjc
Security & Bug Fixes / Re: libxz backdoors in upstream versions
« Last post by Şerban S. on April 08, 2024, 09:15:31 AM »
Thanks!
It's good to know people take it seriously.
Best regards!
Hi!

Here are my answers

1. Manpower.
I've been blogging since 2007. Please, belive me, it sucks a lot of time. Let alone complex media content.
I am a YouTuber since 2007. Same as above.
Being both a blogger and a videomaker, sucks about 12 to 19 hours a day.
Even if you are payed to do that, it's a lot of work.
You need to learn a lot, everyday, until you quit or (eventually) die.

2. Cost and ROI (Return Of Investment)
How good are you at accounting? Are you an accountant?
Else, we talk for the sake of talking.
Each step you make with any product (including Linux Lite), cost lots of manpower and lots of money.
Unless you live on a 1,000 tons of gold stack below your feet, it is unlikely you will make to meet loose ends.
Any doubts?
Ask Jerry for how long he dreams to be a full-time Linux Lite lead developer.

3. Strategy & Management.
In order to get where you pointed out, you need a powerful Strategy & Management team.
SMM (Social Media Marketing) is a very fast changing landscape. There are also lots of choices even in the Linux ecosystem, let alone the commercial software world.
As you probably noticed, commercial software is constantly fighting against sharing knowledge and spreading the FOSS.
And in this ever-changing world, you have to make your way through, against all odds.
As I see it, Jerry and the rest of the team, including people in the Forum's staff (= Moderators), are doing a fabulous job!
Having my own Forum, I guess makes me an educated voice to speak.

4. The taughest and ugliest question:
What did YOU do, out of all suggestions presented in your post?
Let's breake it down a little:
How many posts have you read on this Forum?
How many post have you written?
How many blog posts have you writen?
How many tutorials have you written?
How many videos have you made and uploaded on, say, YouTube? (or TikTok, if you like).
And another one:
Are you in the position to point fingers to all the people in this community?

As for me...

I'm old enough and it is likely that someday sooner than later, I'll be gone. That is the way life goes on.
Yet...
From time to time:
- I write posts here;
- I make a video and post it on my YouTube channel;
See here:

- I make a tutorial and post it here;
- I write articles and post them on my own Forum.
- I recommend Linux Lite to people that are interested in a low-cost & high-performance computing solution.
- If this is the case, I install and do a brief presentation of the OS to the new user.

Last, but not least:
I never point fingers to others. If I have any idea (stupid maybe...) I act upon it.
This was the case when I created the Linux Category on my Forum, and so on. See above.
When I have a question, I ask it. Either in the search box (it's amazing how much you can get using it!) or here, where appropriate.

Best regards, Șerban.
Basically any Debian package not deprecated by Debian will run in any current Ubuntu or Debian. A lot of orphaned packages are still installable as well. Release version keys especially in the Ubuntu LTS and Debian Stable versions are mainly to keep users from having installation problems due to the pace of development. For the last three series other than security updates most dependency problems are related to GTK updates, Python updates, or Wayland. We could add non-free firmware to this but generally it is more adaptable i/e older drivers often still work. That said, retro-fitting old Debian packages can be very daunting for inexperienced users.

Linux Lite is meant to be encouraging to new users, in many cases providing specific GUI applications that make using the system simple and intutive for new users from the MS Windows world and users with little or no Linux experience. It certainly succeeds at that. Users can certainly query the forum about any kind of installation error or procedure. In depth queries can get in depth responses. Most new users look for software to do specific computing tasks, but when asking for help don't include what the task is they wish to do, instead asking how to configure software they have already chosen to use for the task. This often leads to a roundabout kind of discourse or a you can't get there from here type of reply. A new forum section here is basically a more minor thing than Serban intimates, but there is no real neccessity for it when such queries can already be made in the instaliing software section i/e "Is anybody running this or that application?"
TC

Hi!

First question you need to answer:
What is the goal you are aiming at with cpufrequtils?
In other words: What do you expect to get from it? What real problem you want to solve using this program?
Defining very clearly what you want to get, increases the available choices to do it.
There are lots of programs that do basically the same thing (serve the same purpose).
Choosing the best, bolis down to what do you know to do with it.
Making it simple:
It is unlikely that you will be able to comb your hair, using your shoes. You need a comb to do that.

As a final touch:
Knowing what to do with whatever piece of software, means:
- How do I install it?
- How do I uninstall it?
- How can I use it?
- What kind of trouble can I get into using it?
- How do I fix the system in case it breaks down?
Still! Nobody knows everything about everything.
It applies to me, to you, to anybody on this Forum, including Jerry.
Yet, each one might have an idea.
In order to gather info, you need a starting point.
This is usually the answer to the initial question:
What is the goal I am  aiming at with ... [package name, or program]
In this case,  cpufrequtils.
Here is what it does:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/cpufrequtils
So, this is why I asked you in the previous message if you know enough to tinker with the Linux Kernel.
If you belive that overclocking your CPU will solve anything, you are on a very dangerous path.
It usually leads to frying either the CPU, the RAM or the mainboard. Sometimes, all three.
Unless you are an expert in hardware testing beyond the factory specifications boundaries. Are you?

Best regards, Șerban!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section