You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Network / Re: Lite and wireless adaptors (usb)
« Last post by stevef on March 22, 2024, 03:44:02 AM »
Linux Lite 3.x has been unsupported since April 2021 and should not be used.
On a more general point, wifi adaptors from Panda have been recommended on this forum as being Linux compatible.
Steam does not work - games not start even with proton - why?
Network / Lite and wireless adaptors (usb)
« Last post by Linxer2 on March 21, 2024, 07:21:36 PM »
Greetings all.
I have been gradually repurposing an ancient relic with a fresh offline install of Linux Lite. I have realized that I am one device short to give it wifi capability. Acer Aspire one notebook, no usb 3.0, and internal network card has long since been dead.

This is kind of an easy forum cause I'm only looking for suggestions (steps may vary). One thing I know out of the box is that rigging a usb wifi adapter to work on linux is a nightmare. I have yet to decide on a device from the store, and wonder which kind if adapter stick plays nice with linux. If anything, I would like for this to be more of a planner to make this less of a headache before beginning. I attempted to get a wifi stick to work once in the past on a different system and despite many terminal instructions was never able to, so I can sense what I'm in for.

I know the steps may change depending on which device (adapter) is used, but that's why I wanted to ask here. Anyone recommend something universal on what adapter i should order?
If it's all the same in the end, is there any specific forum or instruction page that perfectly illustrates step-by-step how to properly install any wifi adapter? {Please assume that usb 3.0 is not possible and that the wifi adapter in question does not have linux-specific installation media/disk}.

Note: it is possible to hook directly into Ethernet for any updates, just not permanently. I have not yet connected this 'fresh' install of Linux Lite to the internet. If I need to update anything before installing the stick using Ethernet, please let me know.

Other relevant Info:

ACER modle: Aspire One D257 - 13404
Lite version: 3.8 (32 bit)

> The internal network card adapter inside the unit is 100% fried, so instructions on internal network cards should not be included as valid solutions on this post.
Network / Re: Config w/multiple Wifi adapters?
« Last post by stevef on March 21, 2024, 11:02:17 AM »
My understanding is it's now supported through the kernel right?

Don't know, sorry.  Back in August 2022 a PPA patch was necessary but it worked.
The kernel has had updates since then but without putting the hardware and kernel together it's hard to say if a given bit of hardware is supported.
Running a live image is one way to assess your hardware but there may be some tweaks needed for a fully installed set up.

Using multiple live adaptors on one system is possible in theory but has limited practical use for a desktop or laptop.  If the adapters connect to the same network, priority should be set for primary, secondary etc so the system uses the highest priority one that is up.  If on different networks all adaptors can be active and the routing table decides which to use.
Other / Re: upon waking the password dialogue is invisible
« Last post by stevef on March 21, 2024, 10:33:40 AM »
Thank you for getting back to us
For the invisible login window does this not happen every time ?

For the workaround of disabling screen lock when lid closed, is your system now behaving as you expect it to ?
If setting it to 'suspend' when Laptop lid closed stops it locking, what was it set to before ?
Updates / Re: Latest Updates disables video in You Tube in Chrome
« Last post by Daveyboy on March 21, 2024, 08:20:31 AM »
Hi Trinidad

Ive had the Blank New Tab Page installed since I first installed Chrome some years ago because I don't like fussy screen displays (I hate icons on the desktop also) and
 it has never caused me any issues to date - but many thanks for your suggestion.
Thanks, I too saw this solution on brave support forum but it didn't work for me  :dft004:
That's what I was going to say because it really didn't fix it earlier, but now it works  :dft002:
I won't try to understand this time and just gonna enjoy the result
Magic that's all that comes to my mind right now
« Last post by trinidad on March 21, 2024, 08:02:32 AM »
Could just be this extension: Blank New Tab Page : version 1_2  Try disabling it before trying other options like disabling hardware acceleration.TC
Having experienced the same issues as yourself, I think I have now found the solution.

After googling the white screen issue I cam across this link and followed it's instructions to turn off Hardware Acceleration within Chrome and having done so this seems to have fixed my problem
 https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/white-screen.html

However, after hastily marking my issue as solved yesterday, only for it to reappear - I will wait 24 hours before re-marking it as "SOLVED" this time.

I hope this also works for you
« Last post by Daveyboy on March 21, 2024, 07:56:22 AM »
Hi Steve

After googling the white screen issue I cam across this link and followed it's instructions to turn off Hardware Acceleration within Chrome and having done so this seems to have fixed my problem
 https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/white-screen.html

However, after hastily marking my issue as solved yesterday, only for it to reappear - I will wait 24 hours before re-marking it as "SOLVED" this time
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section