You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Regarding shared network connection HP Deskjet F4480 Printer

Author (Read 5779 times)

Re: Regarding shared network connection HP Deskjet F4480 Printer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 04:26:17 AM »

ralphy

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Developer
    • View Profile
Glad to hear you figured it out :)  You're awesome!

Feel free to mark the the thread as "Solved".

Cheers!
https://unlockforus.com

Sorry for seeming stupid and preferring Linux - I just don't know any better.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 09:14:34 AM »

chaosjs1

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Pentium 4

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Geforce ti 4200 128meg VRAM AGP
Hello there, Thanks for the info and all it really helped a lot..  As soon as I did as suggested the printer started to communicate from windows to linux again. So, Thanks again and have a great day ahead!!...

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 10:17:42 PM »

ralphy

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Developer
    • View Profile
Let's see if I can help... The instructions below seem like a lot of steps but that's because I tried to be as specific as possible. It really takes a minute to add your shared printer to a Windows PC. Good luck!

1- Make sure the printer connected to Linux Lite is fully operational... (e.g.: that you can print out documents from Linux Lite on that printer -HP Deskjet F4480 All in One Printer scanner copier)

There is documentation available that can help you in the process: https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/hardware.html#printer

So, I' going to assume that you can print to your HP printer from your Linux Lite PC and that you want to share that printer on your network so that Windows machines can print to it as well.

Here are some tips:

1 - Temporarily disable Linux Lite Firewall. After you are able to print from Windows to the Lite's shared printer we will enable it again and create the correct rule for it. Firewall blocking services is usually overlooked.

Menu, All, Firewall Configuration -> Status OFF

2- Open Printers - Menu, System, Printers

Select (highlight) your Printer and select from the menu Printer -> Shared

Then, considering this is a home network and that you want to make your life as easy as possible, let's allow quite a few options in Server Settings... open Server -> Settings and configure as shown below:

That's all there is on your Linux Lite side... now let's go to your Windows 10 machine to connect to the shared printer:

Actually, before going into Windows, make sure you know the correct name of your printer... For example, my printer name is Samsung-ML-2550 (case sensitive). This is the name you define when adding the printer to Linux Lite. You do not want to have spaces in the name and you also understand that lower case and UPPER case do make a difference in Linux. So, with that said... in Windows 10:

Devices and Printers -> Add a printer - The printer that I want isn't listed

Select a shared printer by name

The printer can the be added using the hostname or the IP address of your Linux Lite PC on port 631. To keep it simple, in case you do not have DNS resolution in your local network, you will use the IP address of your Linux Lite PC, as shown below:

http://[LINUX LITE PC IP]:631/printers/[YOUR PRINTER'S CASE SENSITIVE NAME]

From there, just select the brand and model for your printer as you usually do in Windows... and you should be able to print thereafter.

Once you can print from Windows, you can re-enable your firewall and set the rule to allow port 631 IN as follow:

https://unlockforus.com

Sorry for seeming stupid and preferring Linux - I just don't know any better.

Regarding shared network connection HP Deskjet F4480 Printer
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 04:53:58 PM »

chaosjs1

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Pentium 4

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Geforce ti 4200 128meg VRAM AGP
Hello to all,  I am trying to setup a shared network connection between windows and linux where my HP Deskjet F4480 All in One Printer scanner copier in direct usb connected to a Linux Lite 3.4 32 bit System PC  and I am currently trying to get printer to communicate from windows to linux 32 bit and so far To no avail however the printer on the windows side plus the linux side to my knowledge is successfully connected and etc... So Any and all suggestions would be most helpful because at this point I am currently clueless as to what to do next to troubleshoot the problem at hand..  Also Just so you know as well I have tried on the windows side as microsoft has suggested that I do which is to uninstall my windows drivers regarding my printer and then reinstall them after restarting my computer and it still has not been communicating from the windows client side on Windows 10 x64 Home Edition version 1607 with all Windows updates to this point!  Thank in advance for all the support!.......
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:09:26 PM by Jerry »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section