You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

what kind of printer should I buy?

Author (Read 14980 times)

Re: what kind of printer should I buy?
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2022, 01:05:12 PM »

Redchief

• Merchandise Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Pentium N3700 Quadcore 1.6ghz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: On board

• Kernel: 5.x
Greetings. Since my last post I am unhappy to report since I have upgraded my pc and installed LL 6.0 I am so far not able to install the Xerox phaser 6022 drivers. It is connected via ethernet. Before, I was using it successfully on LL 5.4 with my other pc. Now it's a dead dinasour on LL 6.0 :banghead

The HP Laserjet 9040DN is working though on new system thankfully.

I am also a life long retired from printing and graphics man. I sometime miss the smell of real ink and solvents. Want to buy an offset?

[...]Xerox 6022 phaser color laser

All work great.

Great thanks for the tip!
I only used Canon LBP 5000 (a color laser printer).
The rest, were (ink) jet printers.

I've been asking myself a lot about Xerox phaser printers, but never got the guts to spent money on one. Let alone a color one. Cartridges are expensive enough to make you think more than twice before spending the bucks... Since any color printer (jet, too) uses at least three (a good one uses four though...), that skyrockets the expenses. In România (my homeland...), a new color laser is about 30% cheaper than refilling the old one with new cartridges... Sometimes, you find "compatibles". Sometimes, you have to buy "the real thing" though...
Second Hand devices, on the other hand, for home use... I'd skip this path. For multifunctional devices, yes, but they have mass-printing-scanning capabilities and, obviously, you need more room for such one.

Best regards! :)
Linux enthusiasts don't care about the lame stream.

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2022, 01:32:32 PM »

Redchief

• Merchandise Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

No worries, if you are needing to print things and you only have the Canon printer, you can set up a small Windows system to run the Canon printer. Output your linux made files to PDF, then move file over to Windows pc for print output.

Good luck,

Well you know I have to give my 2 cents worth on this subject because of the trouble I've had with my Canon printer.  If I would have known I was going to be using a Linux OS 2 years ago I would have purchased one of the HP laser printers because they work on Linux out of the box without any problems from what I've read.  Stay away from Canon as they have a difficult process to install their Linux drivers that can make a Linux beginner grab a sledge hammer and beat the printer to death.  I have first hand knowledge of this frustration.

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2022, 10:57:17 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel celeron 900 @ 2.20 GHz

• VIDEO CARD: mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

Well you know I have to give my 2 cents worth on this subject because of the trouble I've had with my Canon printer.  If I would have known I was going to be using a Linux OS 2 years ago I would have purchased one of the HP laser printers because they work on Linux out of the box without any problems from what I've read.  Stay away from Canon as they have a difficult process to install their Linux drivers that can make a Linux beginner grab a sledge hammer and beat the printer to death.  I have first hand knowledge of this frustration.
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 12:38:49 PM »

Redchief

• Merchandise Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

When the little Xerox came out it was very cheap and how I ended up with one. $160.00 with shipping. The OEM cartridges are more expensive but these LED printers are easy to refill and a complete color kit can be bought for $20.00. My friend also bought one but his was on a wireless network and had trouble with his but I have printed a couple thousand pages on this one connected to ethernet no issues but bad refill cartridges from sketchy rebuilders.
I am not afraid of buying old HP laserjets. Big, heavy, and take up space but get they get work done when needed.

Good luck!

I've been asking myself a lot about Xerox phaser printers, but never got the guts to spent money on one. Let alone a color one. Cartridges are expensive enough to make you think more than twice before spending the bucks... Since any color printer (jet, too) uses at least three (a good one uses four though...), that skyrockets the expenses. In România (my homeland...), a new color laser is about 30% cheaper than refilling the old one with new cartridges... Sometimes, you find "compatibles". Sometimes, you have to buy "the real thing" though...
Second Hand devices, on the other hand, for home use... I'd skip this path. For multifunctional devices, yes, but they have mass-printing-scanning capabilities and, obviously, you need more room for such one.

[/quote]

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 05:09:10 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

[...]Xerox 6022 phaser color laser

All work great.

"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 04:50:14 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

I stick with HP for printing. It makes sense to support those, who support Linux in return.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 09:53:34 PM »

Redchief

• Merchandise Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Cool!......here's a small list of my printer collection past/present:

HP Laserjet 2200
HP Color Laserjet 4500
HP 1600 Color laser
HP Laserjet 5000 monochrome
HP Laserjet 8000 monochrome
HP Laserjet 9040DN monochrome
Xerox 6022 phaser color laser

All work great.

Same here!
Mine is HP 1018 and it faithfully served me for the last 15 years!
Just like Jerry says:
"If it works, why change?"
I used jet printers too, for years. Those were cheaper, at the times. Printing heads, got clogged faster than I liked so, I had to learn how to overcome that.
Took me some time...
However, technology changes. Sometimes, faster than we like. We're often pushed towards "the new", like it or dislike it... Things move on, without asking "Do you like it?".
So, we need to now how to get along with what is available, at some point.
Getting rid of proprietary drivers, sounds great! :)

[/quote]

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 08:03:31 PM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

I suppose it depends on what type of printing you plan to use it for? I am parcel to the older HP laserjet monochrome laser printers because that is what I'm used to. It does about 95% of plain black prints for practical use. I also own a small Xerox color phaser 6022 for economical color printing. All work nice on linux. In the past, inkjets would dry out if not used everyday.  Maybe there are better ones I don't know about.

Same here!
Mine is HP 1018 and it faithfully served me for the last 15 years!
Just like Jerry says:
"If it works, why change?"
I used jet printers too, for years. Those were cheaper, at the times. Printing heads, got clogged faster than I liked so, I had to learn how to overcome that.
Took me some time...
However, technology changes. Sometimes, faster than we like. We're often pushed towards "the new", like it or dislike it... Things move on, without asking "Do you like it?".
So, we need to now how to get along with what is available, at some point.
Getting rid of proprietary drivers, sounds great! :)

Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 06:02:34 PM »

Redchief

• Merchandise Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I suppose it depends on what type of printing you plan to use it for? I am parcel to the older HP laserjet monochrome laser printers because that is what I'm used to. It does about 95% of plain black prints for practical use. I also own a small Xerox color phaser 6022 for economical color printing. All work nice on linux. In the past, inkjets would dry out if not used everyday.  Maybe there are better ones I don't know about.

As long as it's easy for Grandma to plug-and-play her printer into a linux system, I'm all for it.

Me too! :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 06:57:52 PM by Redchief »

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 02:03:05 PM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

As long as it's easy for Grandma to plug-and-play her printer into a linux system, I'm all for it.

Me too! :D :D :D :D
Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 01:12:58 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 11:01:02 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

Printer OEMs have begun to adapt standards for driverless printers because of the massive proliferation of cell phones and the need to print from those devices. This is a good thing for the future of desktop Linux printer compatibility given that Linux will be able to easily use those protocols without the need for printer specific proprietary drivers. Modern printers will all be changing to these protocols so Linux may finally be rid of OEM printer driver nuisance.
https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting
TC

Thanks! :) It's good to know!
A few days ago, I saw a post regarding a Canon printer that stopped working. This should solve the problem.

Current Machine:
Laptop:

what kind of printer should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 09:43:12 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Printer OEMs have begun to adapt standards for driverless printers because of the massive proliferation of cell phones and the need to print from those devices. This is a good thing for the future of desktop Linux printer compatibility given that Linux will be able to easily use those protocols without the need for printer specific proprietary drivers. Modern printers will all be changing to these protocols so Linux may finally be rid of OEM printer driver nuisance.
https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting
TC   
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 09:44:44 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section