You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

HP ENVY 4510 suddenly appears

Author (Read 3938 times)

Re: HP ENVY 4510 suddenly appears
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 09:53:01 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
The printer was probably previously unset as a network printer. To use wifi it must be a network printer (shared in Windows terminology). I'm assuming the desktop PC was a Windows computer. Windows chooses the printer settings and enables it on HP printers. To connect to some printers wifi (shared) with Linux you must set the printer manually using the printer physical interface itself first. Once you connected it to Windows, Windows set the printer for you and you were able to connect from Linux. Nasty HP MS black magic at work. Curses.

TC
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:57:23 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:10:45 PM »

smhardesty

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A8-6410 APU

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon R5 Graphics × 4
Maybe a brownout or power dip/failure on your end was the cause. Sounds like a LOCAL problem to me.

Yeah, I'm sure it probably is a local problem on my end. If the printer had suddenly DISAPPEARED, it would have made more sense, but to suddenly APPEAR kind of caught me off guard.
Steve

If I was able to help, click my "Thank" link.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 05:30:39 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Maybe a brownout or power dip/failure on your end was the cause. Sounds like a LOCAL problem to me.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

HP ENVY 4510 suddenly appears
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 02:50:30 PM »

smhardesty

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A8-6410 APU

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon R5 Graphics × 4
When I installed Lite on my two laptops I was for some reason unable to connect to my wireless HP 4510 series printer. Rather than fight with it I connected the printer to the desktop PC in that room and shared the printer. Problem solved. Both laptops were setup to connect to the shared printer on the desktop PC. Just now I started to print a document from my laptop and there was no printer listed! I popped "Printers" open and nothing was there so went ahead with the "Add Printer" routine. A soon as I clicked on the "Network Printer" drop down the HP 4510 was listed! I've done nothing to either laptop, but all of a sudden the network printer just showed up.

Not that it's a bad thing, but any ideas why this would just suddenly work that way it should?
Steve

If I was able to help, click my "Thank" link.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section