You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

[SOLVED] HP 3840, 3845 printer. can't get LL/HPLIP to recognize

Author (Read 5872 times)

Re: HP 3840, 3845 printer. can't get LL/HPLIP to recognize
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 04:36:37 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

I understand. What matters is that your Mom found a way to get her printer going.

Thanks for the follow-up on the final outcome...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »

mountainhick

I'll never know exactly. Mom got local help. Turns out the cable must have wiggled free at the computer after all the unplugging, re plugging at the printer. Then, they tried installing and ended up with two installations showing, neither or of which worked, but later, and I suspect after a restart the printer just started working.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 10:42:24 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

Let us know if you are able to get it working. Every time I have used HPLIP, it has been to connect to an already-set-up wireless p1102w printer.

Come to think if it, I need to install HPLIP on the computer I'm on now. I'll briefly follow the USB install instructions to see what they say.

UPDATE: I selected 'C' for custom install and selected 'Y' for all yes/no prompts. This insures that any needed dependencies are also installed. At the end of the part of the HPLIP install script that takes place in the terminal window, it prompts to make sure that the printer is plugged in and connected before selecting 'I' to start the GUI portion of the installer...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:21:27 AM by N4RPS »

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 09:20:13 AM »

mountainhick

Hello!

The printer must not be connected until one gets to the GUI portion of the HPLIP install.

That right there may be the issue. I think that is the single sequential option we did not do. I'll give her a call and see if this works.

Thanks

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 05:12:28 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

HPLIP itself handles the entire installation procedure. The printer must not be connected until one gets to the GUI portion of the HPLIP install. Part of this includes having to install a downloaded plugin as part of the HPLIP installation.

I have installed HPLIP many times, and the settings in the 'Printers' selection in Linux Lite itself doesn't control these printers. The GUI portion of HPLIP setup must be completed and HP symbol MUST be present in the toolbar to control HP printers in Ubuntu. This includes Linux Lite.

It can be really difficult to troubleshoot a remote PC via phone with someone who is less computer-literate than you are. Before you give up, you may want to install and get her to install TeamViewer. That way, you can just log onto her PC remotely and do what needs to be done yourself, minimizing your having to try to explain it all to someone else.

As I mentioned in the article you referenced, a LOT can go wrong. One must be sure to properly install the latest version of HPLIP and follow their instructions exactly. Should worst comes to worst, HPLIP's community might be more helpful, as the install procedure is identical regardless of the flavor of Ubuntu one chooses, and HPLIP issues are their specialty...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:24:12 AM by N4RPS »

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 05:36:54 PM »

mountainhick

By the way this printer is in the HPLIP supported list: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/deskjet/deskjet_3840.html

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:30:45 PM »

mountainhick

Do you mean this?

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/hardware.html#printer

Been around in circles with the  printing-localhost and HPLIP  apps. Neither seem to see the printer. In printing-localhost, it's blank and clicking the + sign does not bring up the printer.

Or are you referring to something else?

Thanks

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Have you clicked on Add printer? Start at Step 6 in the Help Manual under Hardware, Printers if not.

[SOLVED] HP 3840, 3845 printer. can't get LL/HPLIP to recognize
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:07:13 PM »

mountainhick

I referred to this thread: https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=270.0  and followed tutorials. HPLIP is updated, also did a full system update for LL

Running through the menu/settings/printers menu, the printer is not seen/recognized

Running through menu/accessories/HP device manager, via USB I/O selection, the printer also is not "discovered"

The printer is plugged in to USB, and powered up. Tried restarting printer, unplugging/plugging, restarting computer in multiple different sequences, still nothing.

Please help. I have no idea how to proceed from here.

Also, I am trying to fix this via talking my mother through it step by step by phone, so unfortunately, it is quite laborious even to just get her to enter simple terminal commands. Whatever, have to get her through it.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:11:51 AM by Scott(0) »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section