You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Helping others as they helped me. my uncle is on linux lite,he has a old printer

Author (Read 14126 times)

deldeiniw

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I just setup my Father on a cheap all in one. All I had to do was plug it in and change over from another printer and make this one default and delete the other one after we tested it out.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-PIXMA-MG2522-All-in-One-Inkjet-Printer/108208974 Walmartone
Okay thanks for the post it helped

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

• Kernel: 5.x
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

kissbaby3

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 1.4 GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: on board
Kissbaby 3 -  If you uncle is going to buy a new all in one.  The "Force" is with HP.  Don't forget to check with the  open source printer list for HP  for compatibility BEFORE buying though :)

i will tell My Uncle , whether he listens , time will tell, i am surprised he even let me turn his old XP to linux, he still wants windows, lol, i told him windows 10 sucks , and it does.

i only used my upstairs windows 10 PC twice since December 2017, lol, for my hubby wants to keep a windows pc around. so i do so for him, but he is using my linux pc mainly ....
thanks for the HP printer suggestion.

kissbaby3

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Yes, I just used the scanner program that is in the normal program list.

You are very fortunate to be able to scan from the scanner program included with Linux Lite. In fact, you are the only person I have ever heard of who has been able to scan with the included scanner program with no problems.

i have a canon printer "all in one" , and the scanner program that came with linux lite 3.8. it works as well and the one for printing also works , my canon is a MG 3200 series.
my pc again is a 64bit desktop.
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-series-inkjet/mg3220

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5 vPro

• VIDEO CARD: Intel
sudo su from the terminal then run.

TC
Thank you, will give that a try. :)
1) Lenovo T520 i5 LL3.8 8GB ram, fast & stable
2) Medion P4 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, quite fast & stable
3) eeePC 901 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, fast & stable
4) eeePC 701 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, slower & stable but small and light enough to travel with me to New Zealand when visiting family in Blenheim.

supergamer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Phenom 565

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: 550 ti
You are very fortunate to be able to scan from the scanner program included with Linux Lite. In fact, you are the only person I have ever heard of who has been able to scan with the included scanner program with no problems.

He is running the 4.13 kernel from my custom build from a few months ago. Other than the kernel, there shouldn't be any other differences in the scanner stuff.

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

Kissbaby 3 -  If you uncle is going to buy a new all in one.  The "Force" is with HP.  Don't forget to check with the  open source printer list for HP  for compatibility BEFORE buying though :)
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

mrjimphelps

• New to Forums
  • "Phelps Helps"
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+

• MEMORY: 2Gb

supergamer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

mrjimphelps

• New to Forums
  • "Phelps Helps"
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+

• MEMORY: 2Gb
I just setup my Father on a cheap all in one. All I had to do was plug it in and change over from another printer and make this one default and delete the other one after we tested it out.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-PIXMA-MG2522-All-in-One-Inkjet-Printer/108208974

Supergamer: Are you able to get your dad's scanner working?  I used to have this exact same Canon all in one.  I was able to print, but not scan.

The way I finally got it working was to go to the Canon Asia website, select Thailand as the specific country, then search for the downloads for this printer.  I found four for Debian Linux: one for the printer, one for the scanner, and one instruction doc for each of those.  I downloaded the scanner driver and instructions to my computer, and then I very carefully followed the instructions for the scanner.  Doing this finally allowed me to scan with this scanner from Linux Mint, which, like Linux Lite, is based on Debian.

The only way I can scan is with the command-line scanner that came with the download.  But I created a launcher for the command, and now I launch it simply by double clicking on the icon.

The Canon scanning program is very basic; but it does a decent job, and it will scan to PDF or to JPG.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:15:50 PM by mrjimphelps »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

sudo su from the terminal then run.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5 vPro

• VIDEO CARD: Intel
Sorry, a little late to the party...

From the Help Manual https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/hardware.html#printer
And if your Uncle is running 32bit LL
this link is called out:
http://support.lexmark.com/index?docLocale=en_US&page=content&segType=recommendedSegmentLINUX_UNIX&id=DR20523&locale=EN&userlocale=EN

Might be worth another shot...

Hope its not considered thread highjacking but I downloaded the linux driver archive from the Lexmark link above.I was able to extract the .deb.sh installer but on running it, it asks for the root password - admin password is not accepted. Has anyone succeeded in installing this driver and if so how?
1) Lenovo T520 i5 LL3.8 8GB ram, fast & stable
2) Medion P4 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, quite fast & stable
3) eeePC 901 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, fast & stable
4) eeePC 701 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, slower & stable but small and light enough to travel with me to New Zealand when visiting family in Blenheim.

supergamer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-PIXMA-MG2522-All-in-One-Inkjet-Printer/108208974

kissbaby3

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

this link is called out:
http://support.lexmark.com/index?docLocale=en_US&page=content&segType=recommendedSegmentLINUX_UNIX&id=DR20523&locale=EN&userlocale=EN

it is listed as not supported, its ok, i learned more about how the terminal works , i like using the terminal , learning is fun. he will come to my house if he needs too, plus i get to see my uncle more, family is everything. hugs . soooooo, what cheap "All-in-one" should he buy ?. not a lexmark, they are now or soon to be out of business any ways .

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

this link is called out:

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section