You are Here:
Linux Lite 4.4 Final has been released. See the Release Announcements section for more information.

Canon Pixma MG3122 printer/scanner: Wi-Fi won't detect

Author (Read 1012 times)

Canon Pixma MG3122 printer/scanner: Wi-Fi won't detect
« on: May 19, 2019, 07:52:14 PM »

v-grimalkin

• Borderline Technophobe
  • New to Forums
  • Happy 4.4 User

• Linux Lite: 4.4 64bit

• CPU: Intel Atom N570

• MEMORY: 1Gb
The device works fine with USB connection, but I can't understand anything I've read about getting it to connect via my router.  There is no driver available from Canon for Linux, and I am lost regarding CUPS, URI, etc.  The installation disk, of course, is for Windows 7, so it is useless.

I was able to print out the following info:  Canon MG3100 Series, CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.13, Driver: STP00492.PPD (no clue where that came from).

At least I'm using an Acer Aspire One D255E, so I can easily carry it in to the room where the printer/scanner sits, but I would really like to use Wi-Fi for the printing, at least. 

Re: Canon Pixma MG3122 printer/scanner: Wi-Fi won't detect
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 05:00:04 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • Linux Lite OS

• Linux Lite: 3.8 64bit

• CPU: Intel Xeon Dual CPU's E5645 2.4GHz 12 Cores

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 960
The printer must be added as a USB printer first. Then you can add it as a wireless printer. Is it not seen when you expand Network Printer?

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 05:34:13 PM »

v-grimalkin

• Borderline Technophobe
  • New to Forums
  • Happy 4.4 User

No, it is not detected, and I was having the same problem with it on Cinnamon 17.3, too.  When I first installed Mint, I had to do something with Firewall rules, but of course I can't remember what (over 3 years ago).  It is now the default printer only works via USB connection.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 04:36:11 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • Linux Lite OS

At the moment you are using the open source driver. Try the Canon one:

https://www.canonupdates.com/canon-pixma-mg3122-manual-driver-download-windows-mac-linux/

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 05:05:33 PM »

v-grimalkin

• Borderline Technophobe
  • New to Forums
  • Happy 4.4 User

Thanks so much.  I did not know these were available, and I've downloaded both with hope.

Downloaded and extracted (?), but I can't find a way to install these two drivers.  Does this need to be done in Terminal, which I have little to no experience with?

I tried using the search for drivers, but it said none were in use. 
Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:32:05 PM by v-grimalkin

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 10:38:15 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • Linux Lite OS

Extract each file archive, Open a Terminal in each extracted folder and do:

Code: [Select]
sudo ./install.sh
or

Code: [Select]
sudo sh install.sh
follow the onscreen instructions very carefully, take your time!

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 05:49:43 PM »

v-grimalkin

• Borderline Technophobe
  • New to Forums
  • Happy 4.4 User

Did as you instructed, and the scanner install worked fine, but I got some errors on the printer driver install.  I will go turn on the Canon and see what happens.

Your help is greatly appreciated.  ;D

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 06:05:19 PM »

v-grimalkin

• Borderline Technophobe
  • New to Forums
  • Happy 4.4 User

Still can't detect printer or scanner.  :(  I thought the scanner would work, but I only got black & white from a color photo and then only via usb.

Should I attempt the terminal procedure again?

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 08:42:51 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *

• CPU: Intel Core i5-5300U (-HT-MCP-)

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics

@v-grimalkin

Did as you instructed, and the scanner install worked fine, but I got some errors on the printer driver install.  I will go turn on the Canon and see what happens.

Your help is greatly appreciated.  ;D

Not sure it matters, but is there a reason you installed the printer driver with the printer off?
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 05:51:41 PM »

v-grimalkin

• Borderline Technophobe
  • New to Forums
  • Happy 4.4 User

I seldom turn on the printer, so I did not bother while downloading.  Was there anything else I needed to do after opening the terminal in each folder?  I can repeat the procedure with the printer on, if that might affect the driver installation. 

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 06:38:21 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *

@v-grimalkin ,

Do you have any other device that can print wirelessly to the printer?  This helps the forum members know whether the printer is properly set up to receive any wireless connections.  If so, read the Printing section of the Help Manual (Menu, Favorites, Help Manual) and revisit Jerry's screenshots.  Select Network Printer when setting up the printer, and see if anything shows. 

Furthermore, if you seldom turn the printer on, I don't see the need for it to be used wirelessly.  If you turn it on only when you're ready to print, that means you're standing right next to the printer and you might as well connect directly to it.  If you want to connect to the printer wirelessly, leave it on.  A driver is the software that allows your computer to use the device that the driver is for.  So it is unthinkable to me to install a driver for something and have that something turned off when I'm installing it. 

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 03:51:45 PM »

BarryVG

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member

• CPU: Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 2.80GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Corp 82915G//910GL
I too run a Canon printer, model 882.  However, I find when using the system on a wifi only connection, remember there is a timeout on the assigned address.  What has worked well for me is to determine what addresses are in the router pool.  Then pick one that is not within the pool, ie 192.168.1.250.  Your IP set may be different.  On the printer, manually assign that chosen address.  The connect the printer with a network cable directly to the router.  Then the router will have that address known and can connect the computer to the printer.  On the printer, indicate the printer is on a wired network.  I have had less issues doing this than expecting the computer to find the printer in the entire IP set.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 05:37:20 PM »

v-grimalkin

• Borderline Technophobe
  • New to Forums
  • Happy 4.4 User

@v-grimalkin ,

Do you have any other device that can print wirelessly to the printer?  This helps the forum members know whether the printer is properly set up to receive any wireless connections.  If so, read the Printing section of the Help Manual (Menu, Favorites, Help Manual) and revisit Jerry's screenshots.  Select Network Printer when setting up the printer, and see if anything shows. 

No, I have no other devices that work via wi-fi to the printer/scanner. 

Furthermore, if you seldom turn the printer on, I don't see the need for it to be used wirelessly.  If you turn it on only when you're ready to print, that means you're standing right next to the printer and you might as well connect directly to it.  If you want to connect to the printer wirelessly, leave it on.  A driver is the software that allows your computer to use the device that the driver is for.  So it is unthinkable to me to install a driver for something and have that something turned off when I'm installing it. 

Good point, especially for the scanner, but printing via wi-fi is a luxury I've grown fond of.  I guess I will be satisfied returning to my old Windows XP plugged in status.  How do I get rid of the driver installations I did in the terminal?  (One took, the other had errors)

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 05:41:21 PM »

v-grimalkin

• Borderline Technophobe
  • New to Forums
  • Happy 4.4 User

I too run a Canon printer, model 882.  However, I find when using the system on a wifi only connection, remember there is a timeout on the assigned address.  What has worked well for me is to determine what addresses are in the router pool.  Then pick one that is not within the pool, ie 192.168.1.250.  Your IP set may be different.  On the printer, manually assign that chosen address.  The connect the printer with a network cable directly to the router.  Then the router will have that address known and can connect the computer to the printer.  On the printer, indicate the printer is on a wired network.  I have had less issues doing this than expecting the computer to find the printer in the entire IP set.

Thanks for this suggestion, BarryVG.  I have tried to figure out how to do this after another's suggestion (on the Mint forum), but there are only 2 addresses that I can see, one for receiving and one for broadcasting.  I've tried both without success. 

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 07:02:05 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *

@v-grimalkin ,

You didn't answer the question of whether you are already able to print wirelessly to the printer or not. 

@BarryVG 's suggestion is to set up a static IP address for the printer.  It is a very good suggestion.  Your response of seeing two IP addresses (receiving and broadcasting) leads me to believe you're unfamiliar with how to assign a static IP address to your printer.  Typically, home routers have a network from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254.  That's 253 usable IP addresses for each range.  Within one of those ranges will be a number of IP addresses that get dynamically assigned via DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) to host devices like PCs, casting devices (ie. Firestick, Roku, Chromecast), and mobile devices like phones and tablets.  None of those devices are guaranteed to get the same IP address everytime they connect to your network, wirelessly or otherwise.  So if you have a PRINTER getting an address this way, it makes it difficult for the other devices to connect to the printer if it has a changing IP address. 

I do not want to assume what you don't know.  That's why I anticipated your answer to my question.  Please provide an answer.  It will help me and others help you.

Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 07:05:15 PM by torreydale

Tags: uri cups host help 

Linux Lite 4.4 Final has been released. See the Release Announcements section for more information.